Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-19-2009, 09:15 AM   #1
richough3
Enthusiast
richough3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richough3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richough3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richough3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richough3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richough3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richough3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richough3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richough3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richough3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richough3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Ebook load time

I was wondering what some of the ebook load times are on their ereaders. I had read about one user talking about a 4.5 meg sci-fi omnibus taking up to 3 minutes to open, although I forgot which device it was on. I had converted a lot of .LIT files to Mobi and I have trilogies that are a little over 5 megs and even single books that exceed 3 megs as I like to read the epic novels due. So, to further clarify, what are some general load times on book formats and file sizes for your ereader.
richough3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:21 AM   #2
richough3
Enthusiast
richough3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richough3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richough3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richough3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richough3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richough3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richough3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richough3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richough3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richough3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richough3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I do not have an ereader at this time, but I am considering the Sony PRS-505, the Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro, or the Ectaco Jetbook. I would suspect the EzReader Pocket Pro will open files faster due to having a 200MHz advantage over the other 2 devices but I know the speed of the RAM and flash memory can be a factor as well.
Advert
Old 08-20-2009, 03:02 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by richough3 View Post
I was wondering what some of the ebook load times are on their ereaders. I had read about one user talking about a 4.5 meg sci-fi omnibus taking up to 3 minutes to open, although I forgot which device it was on. I had converted a lot of .LIT files to Mobi and I have trilogies that are a little over 5 megs and even single books that exceed 3 megs as I like to read the epic novels due. So, to further clarify, what are some general load times on book formats and file sizes for your ereader.
The Sony Reader is really the only device which has significant "load times", and that's only for BBeB format books (LRF/LRX) which haven't been "paginated" by the Sony eBook software on the PC. In that circumstance, the Reader itself will paginate the book the first time it's opened, and the first time a given font size is selected. That can take several minutes for a large book. Once it's been paginated, it will reopen instantly.

On pretty much any other device, opening a book is more or less instantaneous, and really doesn't depend on the size of the book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 01:28 AM   #4
richough3
Enthusiast

Thanks for the info. I preordered the Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro and I can't wait to get it to take it for a read. The sheer amount of formats supported is what primarily won me over. I like having versatility and the option to choose the format I like best although I will eventually work on converting my ebooks to the epub format as well.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:54 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richough3 View Post
Thanks for the info. I preordered the Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro and I can't wait to get it to take it for a read. The sheer amount of formats supported is what primarily won me over. I like having versatility and the option to choose the format I like best although I will eventually work on converting my ebooks to the epub format as well.
Unfortunately, the Jinke devices (of which the Astak is one) have concentrated on "range" of formats at the expense of reading them well. I think you'll find that the display of any format other than ePub is mediocre at best.
Advert
Old 08-21-2009, 04:11 AM   #6
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook Neo
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I think you'll find that the display of any format other than ePub is mediocre at best.
I find the ePub rendering quite poor, actually. My preferred formats on the BeBook are RTF, FB2 and maybe Mobipocket.
AlfonsVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 05:13 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Has Mobi been improved recently? When I last saw the BeBook it wasn't great. The actual rendering of the text on the screen was poor. That was about a year ago, however.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:27 AM   #8
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Has Mobi been improved recently? When I last saw the BeBook it wasn't great. The actual rendering of the text on the screen was poor. That was about a year ago, however.
Not that I know of, but I prefer Mobi to ePub on the BeBook because of the superfluous page numbers and extremely large zoom levels of the epub renderer.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:53 AM   #9
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
When I had a Hanlin (this spring) I can't say the prc rendering stood out as poorer than the rest, and prc was the only format I could get to work well 'as is'. The epub just looked bad and I couldn't resize it (or the RTF) to a resonable size. I guess I could have fiddled with the css, but since the prc worked out of the box, why bother? The Cybook is still probably better with prc, but Hanlin V3 is decent IMO.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 06:05 AM   #10
AlfonsVH
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
The epub just looked bad and I couldn't resize it (or the RTF) to a resonable size.
The new ePub renderer is much better, but the zoom levels don't make sense. The first one is too small, and the next ones are much too large!

My firmware uses the same parser for RTF and FB2, which allows one to choose font, size, justification, ...
Old 08-21-2009, 09:16 AM   #11
richough3
Enthusiast

Are the different readers that are used to display the various ebook formats based on open source readers?
Old 08-21-2009, 09:22 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Some are. Some aren't. Eg, the Mobi rendering is done via FBReader, but the ePub is done with Adobe Digital Editions software.