Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-29-2012, 07:06 PM   #46
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
I'm curious why you specified that the online copy you downloaded was not a torrent. What does the download method matter?
Because you also upload when you are using a torrent?
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:50 PM   #47
Joshua.P
The Dark Knight
Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
You guys are really strange you know that? It doesn't effect anyone, and thus is victimless because I wouldn't have bought the DVD anyway if I didn't happen to download the torrent. So my viewing the movie a repeat time doesn't do anything. And all my uploading is only going to make another persons download 1 second faster.
Joshua.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2012, 08:16 PM   #48
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua.P View Post
You guys are really strange you know that? It doesn't effect anyone, and thus is victimless because I wouldn't have bought the DVD anyway if I didn't happen to download the torrent. So my viewing the movie a repeat time doesn't do anything. And all my uploading is only going to make another persons download 1 second faster.
It does effect someone. It effects you in that you feel that you have to justify your actions and hope to have them applauded by a bunch of strangers on an internet forum.

And morally it is the same as buying any goods and stealing another because you already bought one.

Many people lose out, the creator, the distributer, the employees involved in distribution etc.

If you would not have bought the DVD why download the torrent. I would never buy a Rolls Royce or a souvenier bumper sticker, but neither would I just arbitrarily decide to take one and think it was ok.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:21 PM   #49
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
No, it's not even a matter of strange, it's a matter of ethics and doing the right thing.

And you say you wouldn't buy it, but I don't think I believe you, you clearly wanted it enough to steal it.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:19 PM   #50
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
You guys are really strange you know that? It doesn't effect anyone, and thus is victimless because I wouldn't have bought the DVD anyway if I didn't happen to download the torrent.
If strange means being in the minority, you are strange in seeing avoidance of victimization as the be all and end all of morality. Most people see victimization as extremely important in coming up with rules of morality, but there is more to it than that. For example, commonplace conventional morality (and law) does not allow evidence that remaining books of a particular title were about to be pulped as a defense for shoplifting.

Trespassing is another example of a victimless action most people think is wrong.

Of course, most people can be wrong! I don't think strange moral reasoning is necessarily bad moral reasoning. But since you apparently do, by your own standard, you should oppose piracy. Especially book piracy, which I suspect has even less popular support than downloading movies.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 05-29-2012 at 09:28 PM.
SteveEisenberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2012, 09:49 PM   #51
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
For example, commonplace conventional morality (and law) does not allow evidence that remaining books of a particular title were about to be pulped as a defense for shoplifting.
Would taking the scrambled text out of the landfill and reconstituting it into its original form constitute piracy? That is of course a highly unlikely situation, but we are all familiar with the if this book is being sold without a cover, it means someone dug it out of the trash and is reselling it thing.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:56 PM   #52
forcheville
Zealot
forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs650, Boox M92, Samsung Slate 7
The only way I know of effecting someone is the good old-fashioned way - almost more fun than reading a book.

On the other hand there are all sorts of ways of affecting people. E.g. annoying them with pedantry... or pettifogging defenses of the indefensible.

Effect (v.t.): to produce as an effect; bring about; accomplish; make happen...
forcheville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:19 PM   #53
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
I'm curious why you specified that the online copy you downloaded was not a torrent. What does the download method matter?
If I'd used a torrent, I'd also be "guilty" of distributing the material--at least I thought someone might say that. So I wanted to specify that I didn't engage in any distribution whatsoever; I only took advantage of someone's upload.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:48 PM   #54
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
You are the strange one. You take something you have absolutely no right to take, and then you feel that you are not even doing anything wrong. If you wouldn't have bought the DVD anyway, why not just watch something else? People worked hard to provide you with entertainment and you don't reward them for it.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:26 AM   #55
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
You are the strange one. You take something you have absolutely no right to take, and then you feel that you are not even doing anything wrong. If you wouldn't have bought the DVD anyway, why not just watch something else? People worked hard to provide you with entertainment and you don't reward them for it.
No sir, you are the stranger one. For feeling that anyone has a right to a work of artistic expression. These works are owned by all.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:38 AM   #56
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
No sir, you are the stranger one. For feeling that anyone has a right to a work of artistic expression. These works are owned by all.
Says who in the free world? You Sir are advocating making people produce stuff with no payment. Slavery! The artists have rights and we should respect them and stand up for them.

Helen
Old 05-30-2012, 12:39 AM   #57
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
If I'd used a torrent, I'd also be "guilty" of distributing the material--at least I thought someone might say that. So I wanted to specify that I didn't engage in any distribution whatsoever; I only took advantage of someone's upload.
Making you only half guilty?

Helen
Old 05-30-2012, 04:32 AM   #58
Joshua.P
The Dark Knight
Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Why are you making such a big fuss HansTWN? I saw the movie at the cinema, so I already rewarded the creator. Whats the big deal if I download to watch it again? And piracy isn't hurting any industry in the slightest. Profits are bigger than ever these days. Just see how much The Avengers made.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:54 AM   #59
jjmgreen
jjmgreen really knows where his or her towel isjjmgreen really knows where his or her towel isjjmgreen really knows where his or her towel isjjmgreen really knows where his or her towel isjjmgreen really knows where his or her towel isjjmgreen really knows where his or her towel isjjmgreen really knows where his or her towel isjjmgreen really knows where his or her towel isjjmgreen really knows where his or her towel isjjmgreen really knows where his or her towel isjjmgreen really knows where his or her towel is

Device: none
1. Copying - yes, it is piracy if you do not already own the book, and
if the book is not in public domain
2. Scanning - if you keep the paper copy, not piracy, else piracy.
3. Distribution - piracy.
4. Downloading something, because you saw it somewhere - piracy.
If you find something worth viewing again, it has some value to
you, and you should exchange value for value. The medium of
exchange is currency.

No, Giggleton is not trolling, he is just making sure any newcomers
are aware of his position - that the time and effort of content
creators has no measurable worth.

Look folks, real people made the content. They are rarely even
well-compensated for it as is, piracy reduces their compensation
even more (assuming they even get a commission per sale, which
is mostly true for print, rarely true for movies, as I understand).
You can go on and on that making a digital copy of a digital or
physical distribution of a work isn't taking the original from anyone,
so there's no harm, but if you value the work enough to get the
copy, then you should contribute value to the creators and
distributors. The value you should contribute (price) is often
set by the distributor, and usually decays over time. If you
feel the initial price is too high, then wait. If you must have
it now, pay the get-it-now price. If you don't want to pay,
let someone else pay, then ask to borrow (not copy) it - from
a library, from a friend, or a social group. If a creator *wants*
people to have free access to the work, then the creator can
choose to place the work in the public domain.
jjmgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:27 AM   #60
Joshua.P
The Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmgreen View Post
They are rarely even
well-compensated for it as is, piracy reduces their compensation
even more
What is your stance if I already have a paper copy huh? Isn't the creator already compensated and as such it shouldn't matter if I download the ebook?