Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-12-2011, 09:48 AM   #286
forchristmas
forchristmas began at the beginning.

Device: rooted nook color
can anoyone distill down for me what (if anythin) I can do to stop the rooted nook color from randomly re-booting? thanks!
forchristmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:28 AM   #287
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by forchristmas View Post
can anoyone distill down for me what (if anythin) I can do to stop the rooted nook color from randomly re-booting? thanks!
If you have random reboots, then I would suggest you do a master clear and start over, you may have some data corruption in your system.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2011, 02:24 PM   #288
rahulm
Zealot
rahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: None
My bookmarks get messed up sometimes. I think perhaps after plugging the reader via UsB.
rahulm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 05:40 PM   #289
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
How do the nook and the Kobo compare when it comes to dictionary lookup and text annotation capabilities?
Latest Kobo firmware update (1.9.6) includes the ability to type in the word you would like to look up in the dictionary. You are no longer limited to just selecting a word in a book for lookup.

Also, the dictionary is made available to sideloaded ePubs now as well.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:49 AM   #290
truewt
truewt began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Touch
I'm having an issue with my nook STR unable to power up, totally. It's like dead.

The initial problem was the Nook booting up by itself and then proceeding to drain all of the battery. And now, after a charge of a good 8 hours, it still does not boot up.. It shows the animation of "charging" and that text saying my "Nook's battery charge is too low to power on, please wait 15 minutes" but this message is on display forever...

Any folks encountered a similar problem?
truewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2011, 01:58 PM   #291
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
truewt: it sounds like your nook has a defective battery which doesn't hold a charge. You should take it to B&N (or call customer support) to arrange an exchange.
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:32 PM   #292
truewt
truewt began at the beginning.

kezza, thanks for the reply. But sadly I'm based outside Singapore.. Thankfully I have a friend who's heading over to the states in a month's time, so he can help me with it..
truewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:24 AM   #293
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by truewt View Post
I'm having an issue with my nook STR unable to power up, totally. It's like dead.

The initial problem was the Nook booting up by itself and then proceeding to drain all of the battery. And now, after a charge of a good 8 hours, it still does not boot up.. It shows the animation of "charging" and that text saying my "Nook's battery charge is too low to power on, please wait 15 minutes" but this message is on display forever...

An e-ink screen does not need power to show an image. The screen will stay the same until there is power to clear it. I hope you are not just waiting for the screen to change and the reader to boot by itself?
You have to boot the Nook by pressing the power button on the back side.

Also when the Nook is charging you should see an orange light next to the USB connector. Did you see this? If not, try charging from a PC. Perhaps something is wrong with your charger or USB cable.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:08 AM   #294
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:

how long are you holding down the power button? When booting up try holding it down for about 5 seconds.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:03 AM   #295
Almakos
Almakos has learned how to buy an e-book online

Hello everyone
I am having trouble displaying chinese books in epub format on the Nook STR
is there any way to get it to work?
Almakos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:26 AM   #296
thawk
Connoisseur
thawk began at the beginning.

Device: prs 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almakos View Post
Hello everyone
I am having trouble displaying chinese books in epub format on the Nook STR
is there any way to get it to work?
At least two ways:

1 Replacing fonts after rooted.
2 Change the css in your epub to use a valid chinese fonts.

You can find more info in the following post:

http://www.hi-pda.com/forum/viewthre...%3Btypeid%3D77
thawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:18 AM   #297
Almakos
Almakos has learned how to buy an e-book online

Quote:
Originally Posted by thawk View Post
At least two ways:
You can find more info in the following post:

http://www.hi-pda.com/forum/viewthre...%3Btypeid%3D77
Thanks
I've managed to get those epubs to use droid font which was already on device with css tweak =)

The other thing which is kind of broken is my hidden web browser which is constantly returning me to previous screen, before I enter Search

Point is that I am trying to avoid rooting, but I also want to be able to drop epubs wireless into nook. guess there is no go for me
Almakos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:15 AM   #298
cvbt
cvbt began at the beginning.

Device: nook simple touch
STN will not boot or charge.

Quote:

I have a similar problem: After having very short usage times (charging daily even with wi-fi off), my STN stopped working yesterday. It has the same "Please wait 15 minutes" note. I've tried pressing the "on" button for 20 seconds and then pressing it for 10 seconds: it will not boot. I have plugged it in to the adapter and to a computer; the orange light does not come on - it will not charge.
I'm very tempted to do the process recommended for the other nooks: remove the battery, plug it in, boot and reinstall the battery. This will require disassembly which I believe I can do having seen the tear down photos on TR.
I live in Thailand and do not have access to a B&N store.
cvbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:45 AM   #299
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I haven't used it since I got the Kobo.
Hmmm... did not know you bought a Kobo or that you sold the Nook ... interesting.

How's the Kobo, any thread or link with your own thoughts about it?
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:31 AM   #300
powree
powree began at the beginning.

Device: Nook STR
Love the Nook touch except for the same issues people have been complaining for, lol....

1. Hard to press button. I know it's cool design wise, but the buttons arent exactly ergonomical. The strip is long, but you have to press a certain 'spot' in the strip before it works. maybe make the button more 'visible' wont hurt...

2.Bad pdf viewing. Really really bad. Good thing most of my stuff are epub. Can live with that.

3.Come now BN, we cant even view pictures in My Files mode?? I dont think it was a hard thing to program in.

4.Shelving is nice, if only they could include 'filtering' to help browsing among 1k++ books

5.Rubber back side catches fingerprints. A lot. Would be a nice practice for young detectives to try their finger print device kit, lol.

In any case, I wish they would update nook's software so it'll be an even more satisfying experience.
powree is offline   Reply With Quote