Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 08-01-2008, 02:53 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Sony Data Discman

This is going to be one of the readers I bring to the meetup. It's my latest find.
I happened across it on Ebay. The model is the DD-E1X.

This is a late model of Sony's first ebook reader. The first was released in Japan in 1990. This one has a manufacturing date of October 1991.

The books are on CDs. The book currently displayed in the pictures is Compton's Encyclopedia. Note the illustrations. I also have 3 other books: King James Bible, Wellness Encyclopedia, and the World Travel Translator. Plus, I found software online to make ebooks for it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0091.JPG
Views:	759
Size:	877.2 KB
ID:	14855   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0094.JPG
Views:	626
Size:	909.1 KB
ID:	14856   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0085.JPG
Views:	768
Size:	971.5 KB
ID:	14857   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0082.JPG
Views:	1253
Size:	966.2 KB
ID:	14858   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0090.JPG
Views:	722
Size:	956.1 KB
ID:	14859  
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 03:02 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
In the first picture it looks like a color screen or is that the light from your computer monitor washing across it? The same illustration in the last picture looks to be gray scale.

What can you do with the keyboard and function keys? How much does it weigh? Did I ask enough questions?

At some point, you're going to have to open a museum of ebook readers, even if it's only an online version.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 03:19 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's a gray-scale screen. I had my monitor on in the background because it was having a positive effect on the picture quality. I was using it as a flood light.

The weight is around a pound. And the keyboard is a keyboard. Guess what it's used for?
Old 08-01-2008, 04:12 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Nate, can you collect the specs and make a wiki page. This is a nice piece of history and I find nothing on it in a google search.

Dale

edit: I found stuff using the full name.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 04:30 PM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

I'm still trying to find some specs. Here is what little I've found so far:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_Discman

http://elab.eserver.org/hfl0014.html

http://home.earthlink.net/~d4321/ddmodels.htm

The last link is the best.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:18 AM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yea, I found some of those. Looks like almost enough to create a good wiki page.
And this German site still makes books for this device.
http://www.treebook.de/. they even have a fair picture that can be filched.

Dale
Old 08-02-2008, 12:54 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
This is going to be one of the readers I bring to the meetup. It's my latest find.
I happened across it on Ebay. The model is the DD-E1X.

Plus, I found software online to make ebooks for it.
Where did you find this software?

edit: never mind, I found it at the last link you gave.

Dale
Old 08-02-2008, 12:57 PM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

It was one jump away from the third link I provided. Here it is:

http://home.earthlink.net/~d4321/dd8d.htm
Old 08-02-2008, 01:44 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Wiki page Data Discman has been created. Please add to it if you can. A Data Bookman would be interesting as well, perhaps someday. I am not sure it can read the same books but perhaps so.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:08 PM   #10
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

small update

I took each of the book CDs out of its caddy and put it in my laptop's CD drive. I found a DOS emulator of the Data Discman. It runs fine under WinXP.

Also, I found another Data Discman on Ebay (model DD-20). This one is comes in the retail box.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:21 PM   #11
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
I wonder when the next firmware update will be for the Sony Data Discman. If one does not come out soon I will never buy another Sony product again.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 09:42 PM   #12
xianfox
Ebook Addict
xianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it is

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
That thing looks like a Star Trek Tricorder to me.
xianfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 10:09 PM   #13
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
I wonder when the next firmware update will be for the Sony Data Discman. If one does not come out soon I will never buy another Sony product again.
There is no need. All the Data Discman play the same format. It never changed (unlike the PRS line).

Tags
duck!