Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-01-2008, 11:29 AM   #1
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
today's question

is today always today or can it be tomorrow or even yesterday?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:31 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post

Yesssssssssss.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2008, 11:54 AM   #3
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Tomorrow....I will answer. Today I will contemplate. Yesterday...? [roll McCartney/Beatles tape now]
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 12:24 PM   #4
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Of course it can. Haven't you been paying attention? You have to steal the transdimensional transporter belt off Steve Jordan when he passes out. Be sure to recharge the batteries, because he lets them run down all the way sometimes.

Don't make me have to get up from here and put my shoes on, just to come give you a whuppin' while scolding you in paradoxical timespeak, Mister.

Sorry, my Inner Byotch is still easily riled since the Great Computer Crash of 8/08. I still haven't repressed her with chocolate enough to push her back down. Took 2 weekends, 11 hrs on the phone with MS Support, and finally format c: just to get it back to the pitiful wretched shell of a machine that I'm typing to you from.

I need to go back in time a month or so and stop myself from downloading Service Pack 3. It's a killer. Now where did I leave that transdimensional transporter?....
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 12:33 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Of course it can. Haven't you been paying attention? You have to steal the transdimensional transporter belt off Steve Jordan when he passes out. Be sure to recharge the batteries, because he lets them run down all the way sometimes.

Don't make me have to get up from here and put my shoes on, just to come give you a whuppin' while scolding you in paradoxical timespeak, Mister.

Sorry, my Inner Byotch is still easily riled since the Great Computer Crash of 8/08. I still haven't repressed her with chocolate enough to push her back down. Took 2 weekends, 11 hrs on the phone with MS Support, and finally format c: just to get it back to the pitiful wretched shell of a machine that I'm typing to you from.

I need to go back in time a month or so and stop myself from downloading Service Pack 3. It's a killer. Now where did I leave that transdimensional transporter?....

Please don't mention Steve Jordan again........I STILL can't get the picture of him splayed out with the ceiling fan where no ceiling fan should be......I just hope he took my advice and spread his arms and leaned to steer.............
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2008, 12:43 PM   #6
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
It's today from the time I wake up until I go to sleep (or until 6am, whichever comes first). The date can change on the calendar, but my subjective day (and the day of the week) doesn't change until I sleep again. Now, to accommodate the occasional all-nighter, I make a concession that today can transition to tomorrow at 6am if I'm still awake. Of course, all this is local time, not some absolute time reference such as GMT.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 02:11 PM   #7
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Of course tomorrow, today will be yesterday and how can that be? Is there really a yesterday and tomorrow or are they just figments of our language? It's kind of like, "Does Paris really exist or is ZP just somewhere in the ether a says she's in Paris?"

When tomorrow becomes today, will today's today disappear? Deep questions.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 02:11 PM   #8
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Of course tomorrow, today will be yesterday and how can that be? Is there really a yesterday and tomorrow or are they just figments of our language? It's kind of like, "Does Paris really exist or is ZP just somewhere in the ether a says she's in Paris?"

When tomorrow becomes today, will today's today disappear since it will then be yesterday? Deep questions.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 07:02 PM   #9
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Wow ... way too deep for me, especially when I'm typing with my thumbs.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 07:12 PM   #10
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
Came here to express exactly what Elsi did. Regardless of calendars & computers tell you, today only ends once you close your eyes.

On a related (?) topic:
Does anyone else have this problem:

I say "this Monday" which is 25 Aug. "Next" Monday is 8 Aug. See, because 'this' is short for "this past" not "this coming," like you weird people choose to believe.

Anyone?
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 07:16 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The final word on the question is this......

Today is today. It can never be anything else. yesterday is always a day behind today. Tomorrow is always a day ahead of today. And they will always be that way. Ther eis no way to change this. It's the way things are. It's always today. It cannot be otherwise. Not ever.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 07:49 PM   #12
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
I say "this Monday" which is 25 Aug. "Next" Monday is 8 Aug. See, because 'this' is short for "this past" not "this coming," like you weird people choose to believe.
(Can I assume you mean "8 Sep" above?)

"This Monday" doesn't exist at this time (it's Tuesday as at the time I'm posting this), and so "Next Monday" is the 8th September. Yesterday would be "Yesterday", or else "Monday, this week". "This Wednesday" is tomorrow, and that applies for each day for the rest of the week (obviously with appropriate substitutions of day name). "Next Wednesday" is the 10th September. "Next October" is October 2009. However "Last August" would be August 2007, while August 2008 would be "August this year" (as with January to July 2008, with appropriate substitutions of Month).

Clear?

Cheers,
Marc
PS. You're weird.
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 06:29 AM   #13
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The final word on the question is this......

Today is today. It can never be anything else. yesterday is always a day behind today. Tomorrow is always a day ahead of today. And they will always be that way. Ther eis no way to change this. It's the way things are. It's always today. It cannot be otherwise. Not ever.
But, that was yesterday. :sigh:
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:23 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
But, that was yesterday. :sigh:
It is still today. Yesterday is still yesterday. Tomorrow is still tomorrow.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:08 AM   #15
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
ah but today will become yesterday where Marc is, before it does for us; and then it's even later for you, though not quite tomorrow.
and not to forget that if we can focus the telescope on the appropriate envelope of space, we can even remind ourselves what last week looked like....
but, alas, tomorrow always is a mystery, hell we don't even know if the sun is going to shine, never mind rise up above the celestial horizon...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clouds of enlightenment, unutterable silliness