Notices

Old 09-23-2010, 12:14 PM   #1
trott3r
Enthusiast
trott3r began at the beginning.

Device: kobo sage considering boox
What causes sony reader to crash?

Lo,

Just been getting alot of reboots when loading ebooks downloaded by calibre in lrf format.

Things i have done before the crashing started:
-I have installed the prs+ v1.13 firmware on the reader
-Converted new downloads via calibre to lrf format rather than orignally (before crashes) using epub format.

Does having one crash/reboot mean that some ebooks on the sd card are corrupted?

Trying to figure it out without deleting everything.

thanks
Martin
trott3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:29 PM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
LRF format was reverse engineered, so sometimes Calibre creates files which are not exactly correct from the Readers's point of view. Try using EPUB format instead.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2010, 12:30 PM   #3
trott3r
Enthusiast

So LRF format conversion isnt perfect in calibre?

Thus its best to only use lrf when buying books rather than downloading from new sources?

thanks for your help

Martin
Old 09-23-2010, 01:53 PM   #4
acanthicus
Connoisseur
acanthicus can do the Funky Gibbon.acanthicus can do the Funky Gibbon.acanthicus can do the Funky Gibbon.acanthicus can do the Funky Gibbon.acanthicus can do the Funky Gibbon.acanthicus can do the Funky Gibbon.acanthicus can do the Funky Gibbon.acanthicus can do the Funky Gibbon.acanthicus can do the Funky Gibbon.acanthicus can do the Funky Gibbon.acanthicus can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-350, PRS-T3
Hello,

I observed the same problems with my 505, when I used LRF-books converted with a recent version of calibre. But I don't remember which number it was. I also have PRS+ installed.
Now I use Book Designer to make LRFs and I haven't any problems since then. When you get used to this programm it's great, great, great , although sometimes a bit weird...
I save both lrf and html0 (that's the bookdesigner filetype) and I am able to edit that file in case of typos etc. and convert again in LRF. I love the footer (with chapter info) created with BD.
acanthicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:08 PM   #5
nathantw
Zealot
nathantw doesn't litternathantw doesn't litternathantw doesn't litter

Device: 505
Igorsk is correct. Use EPUB format. My Reader would reboot continuously each time I tried to read the NY Times or BBC News. It was frustrating as heck, especially when I'm at the gym and I want to read RIGHT THEN. I'd spend at least 3 or 4 minutes just waiting for the thing to reboot.

Anyway, when Sony changed to EPUB I changed Calibre to format in EPUB instead of lrf and the reboots have pretty much disappeared.
nathantw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2010, 02:32 PM   #6
trott3r
Enthusiast

Thanks for the information people you have saved more alot
of frustration and wasted time.

MArtin
Old 09-23-2010, 05:46 PM   #7
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
What's worked for me is to create the LRF file in Calibre, and then use the Sony software to transfer the LRFs to my 505. I have an older version of the Sony software--one that still pre-processes the LRF file so my Reader doesn't have to do the work of calculating pages. Unfortunately, I think the newer versions of the Sony software don't pre-process the LRFs any more so this probably won't work if you have a newer version of the Sony software.

Oh, and of course, I don't have Calibre and the Sony software running at the same time.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 06:21 AM   #8
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by acanthicus View Post
Now I use Book Designer to make LRFs and I haven't any problems since then. When you get used to this programm it's great, great, great , although sometimes a bit weird...
I save both lrf and html0 (that's the bookdesigner filetype) and I am able to edit that file in case of typos etc. and convert again in LRF.
I always use BD to make my LRF's, and never had a problem. According to Kovid, BD's LRF engine has some bugs, but Sony readers deal with them with no problems.
When I finish a book I always keep a backup in html0 format, for further editing or conversion to other formats.
I have written a small utility to convert html0 files to clean html with css ready to be imported with Sigil (see my signature).
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote