Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-19-2010, 09:12 PM   #1
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Word Count

I can't seem to figure out how to find the word count of a book in Calibre. Does it have this feature or is there a plugin?

I'd like to know "how big is this book" since you can't "see" the size of an ebook.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:20 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can see the size of a book in the top left corner of the calibre ebook viewer.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2010, 10:47 PM   #3
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I see x/y but there's no knowing what "y" means. Pages doesn't mean much when you can change the font size. Is this a "War and Peace" sized book or a "Harlequin Romance" size? It's really a piece of information I find lacking in ebooks. Even on fictionwise, they don't always display the word count.

Lee
Old 03-19-2010, 11:42 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

pretty much any metric you use will be meaningless without some experience to base it on. The only reason a "number of pages" is meaningful, is because you have certain mental expectations of how long it takes you to read a page. These expectations are often wrong, of course.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:42 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
I can't seem to figure out how to find the word count of a book in Calibre. Does it have this feature or is there a plugin?

I'd like to know "how big is this book" since you can't "see" the size of an ebook.

Lee
How are you going to count characters/words when they are wrapped in dozens of formatting tags?
I might guess that some of my EPUB files are 30% markup and 60% text.

Here is what I tried
convert your document to TXT in Calibre, then use gedit (linux), Notepad++ (Free, for windows) and grab the Stats that way
This count includes all the "Boilerplate" and Calibre jacket
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2010, 01:09 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

The number that calibre uses as an indicator of size is calculated by stripping out markup.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:12 PM   #7
leebase
Karma Kameleon

I think "word count" is as good a metric as any as "pages" is meaningless to ebooks (particularly as I read on my iphone). And no, I would not want the markup counted in the words.

So, I know how big some of the books I've read are -- I look at their word count -- and then I understand approx how big a new book I want to read is.

When I looked at the upper left of the book viewer in Calibre for a book I'm reading -- it says "24/341". What does the "341" represent?

And can I get that "341" value to display in my book listings?

Lee
Old 03-20-2010, 09:31 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

341 represents a character count divided by a common denominator. And no you can't get it to display in the main view, as it requires, at a minimum the unpacking of a book to calculate it, which would be too slow.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:01 PM   #9
wdblevin
wdblevin began at the beginning.

Device: B&N Nook
@ kovidgoyal: great piece of software!

I guess an option for those who are interested in knowing a book's physical page count would be to search for the ISBN number on http://isbndb.com and use the tag field within the Meta Information section of Calibre to record the information returned. This is what I have done and it is useful.

I would love to be able to have Calibre tell me the page count, but I can see the problem with that based on the varying file formats out there for eBooks.

Another option is to open each eBook on your device, get the page count, and then record it as noted previously in the tag field within the Meta Information section of Calibre.

On a side note, I believe ADE gives you the page count as it only works with the EPUB file types.
wdblevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:07 AM   #10
leebase
Karma Kameleon

ADE? Is that a plugin?

Lee
Old 03-24-2010, 09:38 AM   #11
leebase
Karma Kameleon

BTW, although I would still like "word count" -- now that I know about x/y -- I find that works very well. I can open a book I know what "size" it is, and thus now I have a good frame of reference, which was all I really wanted.

FYI -- I think you did a good job of making "y" correspond to "book page". For the couple books I looked at whose size I knew -- your number was a pretty close approximation of "page".

I understand about the "slow" thing. But I imagine the size of a book doesn't change. So if you calculate it when you load the book into the library, you could add it to the metadata and display it on the book list browser.
Lee
Old 03-24-2010, 10:30 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Calculating book length when adding books is a possibility, at least for EPUB.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:13 PM   #13
wdblevin
wdblevin began at the beginning.

Device: B&N Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
ADE? Is that a plugin?

Lee
Lee -

ADE = Adobe Digital Editions is another piece of software to view and manage eBooks and other digital publications.

http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/

I've used it... Calibre is what I find best to manage my eBook library.

Donna
wdblevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:33 PM   #14
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdblevin View Post
Lee -

ADE = Adobe Digital Editions is another piece of software to view and manage eBooks and other digital publications.
ADE is also a ebook renderer provided by Adobe embedded in the firmware of many devices.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:29 PM   #15
CCarrot
2 lzy 2 update this...
CCarrot began at the beginning.

Device: jetbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Calculating book length when adding books is a possibility, at least for EPUB.
I would like to add a vote for that, please! Approximate book length in either 'number of pages' or even 'number of words' would be a very useful field to work with, especially in column view.

thx,
cc
CCarrot is offline   Reply With Quote