Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-06-2010, 01:35 PM   #31
NightGeometry
Zealot
NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kindle 3G, Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan View Post
For a personal point of view, before the release of K2 International (and now the DX International), I bought 90% of my books on-line at Amazon (the rest in-store at Waterstones), and now that ratio has all but reversed. That's solely down to my annoyance at the botched International releases of the Kindle (which incidentally I was looking forward to buying). Looking around the commentaries on the web, it would seem I'm not alone.
Kind of offtopic, but I'm in exactly the same position. For the past 10 years most of my book buying has been through Amazon, with the remainder Borders (or occasionally Smith's, at train stations). Now pretty much everything is from Waterstones and Smiths, and that is completely and utterly because of the iffy Kindle international 'experience'.

If they had UK publishers, and newspapers/magazines got images, then I would buy a Kindle. As it is, I upgraded to a prs-600 instead. If amazon even sold ePub from their US site, I'd probably revert to buying books from them, even if only due to habit.

Seems a bit of a lost opportunity.
NightGeometry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 03:32 PM   #32
Hogan
Zealot
Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Motorola Xoom
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightGeometry View Post
Kind of offtopic, but I'm in exactly the same position. For the past 10 years most of my book buying has been through Amazon, with the remainder Borders (or occasionally Smith's, at train stations). Now pretty much everything is from Waterstones and Smiths, and that is completely and utterly because of the iffy Kindle international 'experience'.

If they had UK publishers, and newspapers/magazines got images, then I would buy a Kindle. As it is, I upgraded to a prs-600 instead. If amazon even sold ePub from their US site, I'd probably revert to buying books from them, even if only due to habit.

Seems a bit of a lost opportunity.
Agreed. If Amazon changed the Kindle package / service so that we are on a par with the US then I'd gladly go back and buy it.
Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2010, 04:11 PM   #33
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
This will make some of my friends in Australia very happy.

Personally I'm still waiting for a Kindle 3. I want to see some new features Amazon, you are falling behind and all of these tablets expected to release this year will crush them if they are not careful.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:33 AM   #34
andrys
Explorer
andrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindles,SurfacePro2,NookColor,Pocket Edge,Samsung 10.1 Tab,S2 phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbot View Post
They should for a non-English Kindle! Why not? Not enough scale and/or per capita gdp in latin america?
With the Kindle 2, they initially raised the price on the In'tl to $279 and then lowered it a couple of weeks later, when the Nook was selling for $259 - and gave refunds. At least that's what I remember.
andrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:04 AM   #35
ANGELEREADER
ANGELEREADER began at the beginning.

Device: E-Book Reader
Hi, with respect to the spanish content for ereaders the problem is not in the stores like Amazon is in the publishers.
In my country, Spain, the bookstores are not allowed to apply freely rebates to books. By law they are allowed to apply rebates in a very tiny range, I don't remember the figures but they are something under 15% for sure, that makes the book market, not only digital books, strongly seized. You will never see the bestsellers' price wars between Target and Amazon or the Barnes and Noble membership rebate or Border's weekly rebates because they are not allowed by law. That is one of the main reasons because it doesn't exists an Amazon.es version, it is not a good business in Spain to sell books and send them to your home.
The biggest bookstores in Spain has ebook stores but they have very few titles because the publishers doesn't like the digital concept.
It is not an Amazon flaw it is the publishers, at least in Spain.
Regards
ANGELEREADER is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2010, 01:13 PM   #36
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's the same as for the K2. You just need a plug adaptor.

To amplify upon what Harry said:

The charging device operates on 50-60hz and 100-240v.

You'll need to check your country's wall plug to see what it uses. In Peru, for example, there are two standards. We use both in our apartment.

We have about 5 or 6 adaptors. One end is nothing more than a female side that the male plugs into. These adaptors are available everywhere here. Also, every single one of my ebook Readers works here with no problem.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-09-2010 at 01:34 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 05:27 AM   #37
tablettweet
Connoisseur
tablettweet began at the beginning.

Device: IPad 1&2,IPod Touch 4G, DXG, Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
This will make some of my friends in Australia very happy.

Personally I'm still waiting for a Kindle 3. I want to see some new features Amazon, you are falling behind and all of these tablets expected to release this year will crush them if they are not careful.
Will Kindle 3 be release this year ? do you think it will coming with color reading screen? interesting
tablettweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:53 AM   #38
sergiodongala
Connoisseur
sergiodongala doesn't littersergiodongala doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablettweet View Post
Will Kindle 3 be release this year ? do you think it will coming with color reading screen? interesting
Its actually part of a rumor that amazon will release a Kindle 3 with screen
from mirasol, lets see it.
sergiodongala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 01:51 AM   #39
deanrover6
deanrover6 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi guys, new to the site, appreciate your help.

I am interested in buying the kindle. PDF support is very important to me. I want to store many (three figures eventually) academic papers, which are published in PDF. I want them to show the graphs, tables and equations and afaik the kindle dx does this very well. But I'd also like the ability to highlight text, enlarge the text, and annotate the text. AFAIK none of these options are currently available. I read that amazon will convert PDFs to AZW format. Can someone let me know the quality of the conversion? Will the academic paper look like it looked on the original pdf, when I convert it to azw? Do I think gain the ability to enlarge the text and make notes?

Also, I am interested in getting a couple of text books.In the physical versions, some of them have a series of question with space to fill the answers in, and at the back of the book are the answers. Is there a way for me to fill in my answers and then quickly navigate to the solutions to check how I did?

I appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Dean
deanrover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 12:03 PM   #40
tablettweet
Connoisseur
tablettweet began at the beginning.

Device: IPad 1&2,IPod Touch 4G, DXG, Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle Touch
Dear Dean,
For basic use of PDF please watch this video, I think it might help you.
If not,maybe Kindle's help page can do that. If you are already read all of that I am sorry
tablettweet is offline   Reply With Quote