Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 09-21-2013, 03:45 PM   #1
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
Marvin 2.1 is available now with important fixes and new features

Version 2.1 has been released on the App Store for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch. This update contains a number of fixes including that for a restart bug that affected some readers when switching out of or backgrounding Marvin. This update also brings enhanced iOS 7 support, loads your library considerably faster and has several new features.

You can read the full change log here.
kguil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:15 AM   #2
Wyndham
Connoisseur
Wyndham has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wyndham has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wyndham has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad Air 2 (iOS 9), iPhone 6 (iOS 9)
Thank you. Not only is Marvin great, it keeps on getting better...

Hope you don't mind Kris if we keep on asking you for more though?

In case you were wondering, all okay on both my iPhone and iPad running iOS7.
Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2013, 01:38 PM   #3
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks. Please feel free to suggest anything.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:42 PM   #4
andy88
Enthusiast
andy88 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Mini
Hi Kris,

The latest Marvin update has made the best iOS reader even better. Great work !

One suggestion :
Would be nice to have font resizing feature on the current built in Marvin dictionary. Upon defining a particular word on a page (tapping a word) and the launched pop-up has very small definition font size. A feature to make definitions appear bigger would be nice.

Question :
I found that the brightness while reading a book increases/ adjusts by itself. How could I disable this ?

Kindest Regards,

Last edited by andy88; 09-30-2013 at 03:45 PM.
andy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:51 PM   #5
kguil
Addict

@andy88 Unfortunately, I can't change the size of the text in that popup. That's a 'stock' popup provided by Apple and developers don't have access to what's inside it.

Regarding the brightness... Can you describe the circumstances when this happens? Are you looking at the book, not touching anything and see the brightness change? Or are you noticing the change after bringing your device back from sleep? If so, then it is 'standard' iOS behaviour. You'll notice the same thing in any other app that controls hardware brightness.

Last edited by kguil; 09-30-2013 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Typos
Advert
Old 09-30-2013, 04:05 PM   #6
andy88
Enthusiast

Hi Kris,

Experience this when I am reading (not touching the screen) and the brightness changes automatically especially when my surrounding lighting environment condition changes (from darker to brighter as I move).

I have switched auto brightness on iOS settings off (via Brightness in General) but it seems to still persist on Marvin.

Last edited by andy88; 09-30-2013 at 04:12 PM.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:23 PM   #7
kguil
Addict

Can you try the same thing with iBooks (or any other app that controls hardware brightness) and see if it happens there too? It sounds like it's an iOS bug to me (there's no code in Marvin that changes brightness without user intervention).

Also, are you on iOS 7?
Old 09-30-2013, 09:56 PM   #8
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
@andy88 Unfortunately, I can't change the size of the text in that popup. That's a 'stock' popup provided by Apple and developers don't have access to what's inside it.
Probably the text size settings in iOS settings.app would change this, worth a try.
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:08 AM   #9
kguil
Addict

Oh yes. That works!
Old 10-01-2013, 04:52 AM   #10
andy88
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
Can you try the same thing with iBooks (or any other app that controls hardware brightness) and see if it happens there too? It sounds like it's an iOS bug to me (there's no code in Marvin that changes brightness without user intervention).

Also, are you on iOS 7?
Hi Kris,

The brightness in Marvin seems ok now. It doesn't seem to change now. Possibly there could have been an error from my part. If I experience anything similar again, I'll let you know. But for now, it functions normally.

Thanks for keeping in touch.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:54 AM   #11
andy88
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeSue View Post
Probably the text size settings in iOS settings.app would change this, worth a try.
Thank You ! Solved the text resizing problem for me.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:08 AM   #12
kguil
Addict

@andy88 You're welcome. Let me know.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:02 AM   #13
At_Libitum
Addict
At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KyBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy88 View Post
One suggestion :
Would be nice to have font resizing feature on the current built in Marvin dictionary. Upon defining a particular word on a page (tapping a word) and the launched pop-up has very small definition font size. A feature to make definitions appear bigger would be nice.
Hi Andy,

as Kris said, he cannot change the text size in the dictionary popup. But _you_ can

go into your iPad/iPhone's settings, General -> Accessibility

You'll see an entry labeled "Larger Type". This setting controls the application font size in any app that supports Dynamic Type. When you go into that setting there is a slider at the bottom to control the text size (which incidentally influences the dictionary popup text size ) and a toggle in top to turn this feature on

About the brightness bit, is not an uncommon thing on my iPhone but its controlled by again going to Settings and this time choose "Wallpaper and Brightness" and then turning off Auto-Brightness. (you said it was turned off but it might have reset on the latest iOS update)

Last edited by At_Libitum; 10-01-2013 at 07:09 AM.
At_Libitum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:24 PM   #14
andy88
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by At_Libitum View Post
Hi Andy,

as Kris said, he cannot change the text size in the dictionary popup. But _you_ can

go into your iPad/iPhone's settings, General -> Accessibility

You'll see an entry labeled "Larger Type". This setting controls the application font size in any app that supports Dynamic Type. When you go into that setting there is a slider at the bottom to control the text size (which incidentally influences the dictionary popup text size ) and a toggle in top to turn this feature on

About the brightness bit, is not an uncommon thing on my iPhone but its controlled by again going to Settings and this time choose "Wallpaper and Brightness" and then turning off Auto-Brightness. (you said it was turned off but it might have reset on the latest iOS update)
Thanks a lot, This was very helpful indeed.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:19 PM   #15
andy88
Enthusiast

@Kris,

Hope you're doing great. I have an improvement suggestion on the iPad version of Marvin.
I realise that there is some page loading time when I swipe between pages (usually when it transitions from the end of a Chapter [last page] to the start of a new Chapter [First page]). Would it be possible to have the pages swiping faster ? Maybe on your next update ?

I'm not sure if an improvement is possible or it's just the normal nature of things. I hope the explanation made sense, I'll be happy to re-explain otherwise.

P.S: The delay is a few micro-seconds but if improved it will offer a much snappy Marvin.

Thanks !