Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-17-2013, 05:54 AM   #1
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
0.9.44 problems: doesn't remember window size/position; no On Device column

Hello knowledgeable people,

I've never had an issue with Calibre before, and now after upgrading to 0.9.44 today have had my first problem. Or, problems.

Firstly, it doesn't remember the size/position of the window on reopening Calibre, and it doesn't remember the hidden state of the tag browser.

Secondly, and more importantly, I'm not getting an "On Device" column when I connect my Kobo Glo. It's properly connected (the "Send to Device" icon is in the toolbar and I can send and remove books), and it's finished getting the list of books on the device, but there is no On Device column to be found anymore.

I've tried restarting my computer, I've tried reinstalling Calibre, and now I'm stuck. Help, please?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:46 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Right click on the preferences button and choose restart in debug mode then post the debug log.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2013, 07:03 AM   #3
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Right click on the preferences button and choose restart in debug mode then post the debug log.
I'm sorry to be so thick and/or difficult, but when I choose Restart in Debug Mode, Calibre quits and nothing else happens. Poking around, a debug log is apparently supposed to "pop up" (where?), but it doesn't. This is on OS X 10.8.4, if that makes a difference.

Thanks.

ETA: Also in case it's relevant: I've got the KoboUtilities plugin installed.

Last edited by meeera; 08-17-2013 at 07:07 AM.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:08 AM   #4
sibelius999
sibelius999 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
I have the same problem, also the download metadata and covers function is not working. I have reverted to the previous version and all is fine!
sibelius999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:14 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah OS X, start console.app instead the debug output will go there.
Advert
Old 08-17-2013, 07:22 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Or open Terminal.app and run calibre as

/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/MacOS/calibre-debug -g

which will print debugging output to the terminal.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:36 AM   #7
meeera
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Or open Terminal.app and run calibre as

which will print debugging output to the terminal.
Sorry, I'm not Terminal-literate at all, but can follow exact detailed instructions. What should I type at the prompt? (Calibre is in Applications as you say, not anywhere else.)

(Gave Calibre the Restart in Debug Mode command with Console open - I couldn't find any debug log. Should it be under /Library/Logs/Diagnostic Reports, or somewhere else?)

Also - is Calibre actually supposed to restart itself when you give the Restart in Debug Mode command? It doesn't, it just quits silently.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:38 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Type in exactly that

and press enter

And yes using restart in debug mode, calibre is supposed to restart.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:39 AM   #9
meeera
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibelius999 View Post
I have the same problem, also the download metadata and covers function is not working. I have reverted to the previous version and all is fine!
Good to know. I haven't done that yet because I've read a note by Kovid saying that it isn't recommended, but it's good to have that up my sleeve.

Hm, same thing here, cmd-D isn't bringing up the download metadata window anymore. And contextual menus are temperamental - sometimes they'll come up, sometimes they won't.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:46 AM   #10
meeera
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Type in exactly that

and press enter
Aha! I thought you were asking for me to put in a "run" command and suchlike. Trying to make things more difficult for myself than they needed to be. Thanks.

Quote:

And yes using restart in debug mode, calibre is supposed to restart.
OK... it isn't, not when I do it from within the app. Doing it via Terminal as you said:

----
Spoiler:
calibre 0.9.44 isfrozen: True is64bit: True
Darwin-12.4.0-x86_64-i386-64bit Darwin ('64bit', '')
('Darwin', '12.4.0', 'Darwin Kernel Version 12.4.0: Wed May 1 17:57:12 PDT 2013; root:xnu-2050.24.15~1/RELEASE_X86_64')
Python 2.7.4
OSX: ('10.8.4', ('', '', ''), 'x86_64')
Starting up...
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/user_defined/driver.py", line 105, in do_delayed_plugin_initialization
ValueError: invalid literal for int() with base 16: '0x0x14cdL'
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/main.py", line 279, in initialize
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/main.py", line 260, in initialize_db
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/main.py", line 234, in initialize_db_stage2
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/main.py", line 184, in start_gui
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/ui.py", line 344, in initialize
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/search_restriction_mixin.py", line 412, in rebuild_vl_tabs
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/init.py", line 346, in rebuild
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'setVisible'
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/ui.py", line 900, in closeEvent
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/ui.py", line 851, in shutdown
AttributeError: 'Main' object has no attribute 'auto_adder'
Old 08-17-2013, 07:50 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Now that tells me what I needed to know. Go to preferences->Look & Feel and change the user interface style back to calibre style from system default and you should be fine.I'll add a fix for the system default style in the next build.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:09 AM   #12
meeera
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Now that tells me what I needed to know. Go to preferences->Look & Feel and change the user interface style back to calibre style from system default and you should be fine.I'll add a fix for the system default style in the next build.
Cool! Thanks!
Old 08-17-2013, 09:24 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Just for completeness, I uploaded a fixed build of 0.9.44 for OS X. If you re-download it you should be fine even with the system default style.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:26 AM   #14
meeera
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Just for completeness, I uploaded a fixed build of 0.9.44 for OS X. If you re-download it you should be fine even with the system default style.
Well that is freakin' awesome. Might go pay for Calibre all over again. Cheers.