Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-22-2013, 06:37 PM   #1
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
Curious. If you have a Glo...

...are you getting the Aura HD? I love my Glo but...I am finding myself drooling over the Aura HD? My Glo is only 4 months old!

Penny
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:42 PM   #2
Mostly Math
Groupie
Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (loaned out), KoboTouch (given away), KoboVox, KoboGlo, AuraHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystika1 View Post
...are you getting the Aura HD? I love my Glo but...I am finding myself drooling over the Aura HD? My Glo is only 4 months old!

Penny
'

Love my Glo, bought an Aura HD and love it even more!

S
Mostly Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2013, 06:45 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystika1 View Post

Penny
Waiting until I find a good home for my Glo before picking up an Aura.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:45 PM   #4
Vanguard3000
Groupie
Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I don't see much point in it, myself. It doesn't seem to offer much more than the Glo already has. Its main features are a light - which the Glo has - and a hd screen. But I feel like if you're looking so closely at letters on your screen that you can see - and be bothered by - the pixels of each letter then you're probably using your ereader wrong, and are headed for massive eye strain.

I would say that if you've got the Glo, don't bother with the Aura, unless you read mainly comics or image-heavy technical manuals on it. Otherwise, you may as well save your money until the next generation comes out (or until the Aura comes down in price significantly).
Vanguard3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:46 PM   #5
Breid
Zealot
Breid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really nice

Device: Kobo Aura HD; Kobo Glo; KPW
I have a Glo, love it but I must confess I am cheating on it.....I have ordered the Aura
Breid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2013, 07:33 PM   #6
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊
Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Waiting until I find a good home for my Glo before picking up an Aura.

Regards,
David
Following on from your post recently about passing it on . . I have just found an excellent home for my Touch

Am not eyeing up an Aura . . . tongue turns black and falls out . .
Willa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:36 PM   #7
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I am sticking with my Glo - I am happy with the screen size.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:37 PM   #8
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
Since I read a lot of manga, it is very tempting to get the Aura for the larger screen.

But I still have a working Glo I bought about 1 month ago.

Last edited by RZetlin; 04-22-2013 at 08:28 PM.
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:22 PM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breid View Post
I have a Glo, love it but I must confess I am cheating on it.....I have ordered the Aura

That's not cheating. They're cousins!

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:16 PM   #10
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
That's not cheating. They're cousins!

Don
So it's not cheating if it's incest?
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:44 AM   #11
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
If I didn't already have a Glo I would buy the Aura, but I think I will get more reading pleasure from buying $299 (expected price of the Aura in NZ) worth of books for my Glo than buying an Aura as a second reader.

The Glo is almost ideal for my needs, mine has 8GB of internal storage and the resolution is more than enough, it is just the extra centimetre of screen width of the Aura that I would like.

Last edited by GeoffR; 04-23-2013 at 12:45 AM. Reason: unquote
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:56 AM   #12
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I have both a Touch and a Glo. If I wasn't sick of positioning LED lights and buying batteries I might have been happy staying with the Touch. As it was, I managed to put the Glo off until January.

I don't personally see a compelling reason to buy an Aura, considering the resolution on the Glo is fine as far as I'm concerned and I don't have a need to use it as a PDF viewer. I'm also not a fan of the red switch or the case design. I'm a basic black, sleek, simple, and streamlined kind of guy when it comes to design preferences, so prefer the Touch and Glo in those respects. Although, a slim line or band of metallic gold color would really set the Touch and Glo in black cases off nicely. The Kobo logo in metallic gold color would have been really sexy against the black cases or even the white ones. They missed a bet there.

I think they'd do well to pursue the idea of a higher resolution front lit 5" display and bring it out in a nice black case with a minimal non slip surface on the back(maybe just a simple very lightly engraved looking pattern of crosshatched lines) with a nice metallic gold logo inset on the back, or with a slim front cover with the logo -designed to detach and slip on the back when reading. Nice clean look, and the larger logo on the back either way makes for great advertising. A nice chic looking unit that could be positioned as a premium unit and would easily fit a men's suit or coat pocket would be cool.

I think they need to move away from the cheap plastic feel and think higher end. Many people buy Apple products in part for the industrial design. They need to tap that market, and get all their software eggs in a row.

PS. If Dr. Drib has the time, I know this great looking pair of cousins I'd like him to talk to on my behalf...

Last edited by TechniSol; 04-23-2013 at 03:03 AM.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:02 AM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Four month old Glo, 15 month old Touch and the price ($AUD219.99) means I can't justify it. I just have to make sure I never actually see one in a shop
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:37 AM   #14
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
"Buy me, Davidfor, Buy me..." Who knew the Aura actually does come with a voice?

Last edited by TechniSol; 04-23-2013 at 03:48 AM.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:02 AM   #15
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
I'm sticking with my Glo for now. The extra memory of the Aura means nothing to me as I've barely used 10% of the internal memory on my Glo and I'm more than happy with the screen resolution. While a larger screen might hold some attraction, I'm not sure that an extra 0.8" is enough. Maybe if it was 7.5" or 8.0" then I might be more interested.
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote