Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 08:07 PM   #2536
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckH View Post
Hi there,
I tried to search (but couldn't find) this topic on the thread, so apologies if this has already been dealt with...
If you're using FFDL's mobi output, switch to downloading to epub and converting to mobi or azw3. FFDL's native mobi output is rather poor compared to calibre's convert and is unlikely to improve. Plus with epub you can use update and not download old chapters all the time.

I've had two kindles (both without touch screen) and found that keeping all my fanfiction on them wasn't practical for my habits. (Some 3000 books; When I only had ~1/2 that many, it was still workable.)

Because the kindle wants to index the complete text of all books, and I update books on my device at least once and usually several times a day, it never really finished indexing. So search didn't work, and it would frequently pause for lengthy periods or even crash and reboot. Now I keep the kindles just for testing and light use with only a few hundred books on them.

However, I don't recall ever seeing the exact symptoms you describe.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:15 AM   #2537
Ealdwulf
Ealdwulf began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I actually had something very similar to what was described happen with a couple of stories... except mine was with epub and a nook.

The problem turned out to be caused by improper html in the source of chapter. The nook couldn't handle it, but calibre was able to. Upon opening the epub with Sigil and then saving it would work on the nook and FFDL was able to continue updating without issue.

Not sure if this is what you are experiencing or not, but the epub download with conversion to mobi has been identified a few times as the way to go for mobi format stories
Advert
Old 04-02-2014, 02:53 AM   #2538
devils_add
devils_add began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi,
I have a question, is it possible for url for the story to be recorded the same way as lets say amazon id, where for example for fanfiction.net you can record it as fanfiction.net:some_story_id
Old 04-02-2014, 08:22 AM   #2539
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by devils_add View Post
I have a question, is it possible for url for the story to be recorded the same way as lets say amazon id, where for example for fanfiction.net you can record it as fanfiction.net:some_story_id
To do this, you need a metadata source plugin. This does the work to translate the id to the URL. It should also download metadata for the story. The id side of it isn't that hard. But doing the search side can be a pain. It would also need a change in FFDL to use the id.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:55 AM   #2540
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devils_add View Post
Hi,
FFDL supports 90+ sites. I don't think it's practical to use site.com:story_id identifiers for each.

However, all of those sites use URLs and FFDL already saves the story URL to the 'url:' identifier. In what way is that insufficient?
Advert
Old 04-02-2014, 01:08 PM   #2541
Bonnie_27
Bonnie_27 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo N613
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
FFDL supports 90+ sites. I don't think it's practical to use site.com:story_id identifiers for each.

However, all of those sites use URLs and FFDL already saves the story URL to the 'url:' identifier. In what way is that insufficient?
does it support fanfic.net and adult fanfic and forbidden love site how about raising hell and will it work on the glo love this thread by the way lol I didn't know other people loved fanfics as much as me lol
Old 04-02-2014, 01:17 PM   #2542
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie_27 View Post
does it support fanfic.net and adult fanfic and forbidden love site how about raising hell and will it work on the glo love this thread by the way lol I didn't know other people loved fanfics as much as me lol
Supported sites list
Old 04-02-2014, 02:55 PM   #2543
Bonnie_27
Bonnie_27 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo N613
[QUOTE=JimmXinu;2801018]Supported sites list

wicked, ty
Old 04-04-2014, 02:56 AM   #2544
El_Pirato
FanFic Hunter
El_Pirato began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Are you familiar with www.fictionhunt.com ? I hope I can get stories from that archive if you are.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:46 AM   #2545
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Pirato View Post
Are you familiar with www.fictionhunt.com ? I hope I can get stories from that archive if you are.
From the support sites list:
Quote:
Other

fictionhunt.com - No description is given of the site at all, but it appears to only contain stories copied from fanfiction.net. Whether that's with permission or not isn't mentioned. I'm not sure what to make of this one.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:16 AM   #2546
Ellachanted
Connoisseur
Ellachanted began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle touch
I'm thinking there probably isn't anything I can do about this, but sometimes a completed story adds an outtake, but because I am adding it, it doesn't update the story already in the database, nor is there something to tell me it didn't update.

So is my only solution to check for updates on a regular basis on all my completed stories? Because there are a lot.

And I really really really love this program. Though it hasn't been good for my hoarder tendencies.....
Old 04-05-2014, 12:50 AM   #2547
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellachanted View Post
I'm thinking there probably isn't anything I can do about this, but sometimes a completed story adds an outtake, but because I am adding it, it doesn't update the story already in the database, nor is there something to tell me it didn't update.

So is my only solution to check for updates on a regular basis on all my completed stories? Because there are a lot.
??? I don't understand your problem.

As far as I know, for all the sites FFDL supports, any time the author adds a chapter, be it an outtake or not, completed or not, the site will send you an email if you follow/subscribe/alert/whatever that story.

So if you're following my strong recommendations and using story (or author) alerts on the site(s) (instead of using FFDL to try to update all your In-Progress fics), you'll be fine.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:56 PM   #2548
Ellachanted
Connoisseur
Ellachanted began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
??? I don't understand your problem.

As far as I know, for all the sites FFDL supports, any time the author adds a chapter, be it an outtake or not, completed or not, the site will send you an email if you follow/subscribe/alert/whatever that story.

So if you're following my strong recommendations and using story (or author) alerts on the site(s) (instead of using FFDL to try to update all your In-Progress fics), you'll be fine.
Yeah, I wasn't doing it that way. I do follow most, but once it's in my completed library, I don't always remember to check. And I sometimes just re-add the whole author page because then I get the new stories in process that I may have missed. But add and update do different things. And I had to cut back on the alerts because my mailbox was being blown up.

Now I know better.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:07 AM   #2549
aleyx
Addict
aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Cybook Diva
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellachanted View Post
And I had to cut back on the alerts because my mailbox was being blown up.
Mailbox management is an art.

In the case of heavy fanfic readers, there's no two ways about it: filters and automatic incoming actions are your friends.

All my fic notices are filtered into a "fic notices" subfolder, and are all autoflagged on delivery. I then go over them manually, and unflag all the uninteresting ones -- new communities or new author stories with uninspiring summaries, etc. Then I go in Calibre and update those stories still flagged. Not all, of course, juste those I'm interested in reading in the forseeable future.

Then, when FFDL had finished updating those, I unflag them in my mail folder. So I know that all the unread notices are those I haven't processed yet, and all the still flagged ones are those I may want to read/update at a later time. All mail not flagged is archived away or deleted.

Yeah, sure, it takes some time; but that's the (low, low) price of a cleanly managed fanfic bookself.

A cleaner way to do that would be a Calibre addon that plugs to your IMAP folders and manages those notices, creating a ReadingList of books to update and a list of URL to fetch, but that's a project I'm not yet ready to undertake right now ^_^;

Last edited by aleyx; 04-06-2014 at 06:11 AM.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:28 AM   #2550
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleyx View Post
A cleaner way to do that would be a Calibre addon that plugs to your IMAP folders and manages those notices, creating a ReadingList of books to update and a list of URL to fetch, but that's a project I'm not yet ready to undertake right now ^_^;
I have considered it, but concluded that I wouldn't trust some plugin with access to my email; and therefore why would anybody else.
Closed Thread