Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-15-2014, 11:00 AM   #1
glynbarlow
glynbarlow began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Tr-1
Endless re-boot loop on prs-t1

Hi,

How do I stop an endless re-boot loop on my Sony prs-t1?

one evening I finished reading a book and pressed the home page to look for the next book to read,

Instead of the home page coming up, the book showed the opening book screen with the progress bar. The bar showed no progress and after about 20 seconds the cycle started again.

I plugged the mains power in case is was running out but this did not affect it.

All i get is an endless cycle of the opening screen showing for about 20 seconds and then start again.

Plugging into my computer does not help as the USB never comes alive in that boot sequence.

I have looked at endless post for recovering a PRS-T1 but have had no luck.

I do not know what version my device is at and I cannot find out now. Based on the purchase date I guess it is 1.0.4.

Some of the recover posts have looked promising because the book has shown the updating prompt followed by the please manually reset to finish. However this has not cured the problem.

Can anyone help?
glynbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:57 PM   #2
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
When this happened to my e-reader I simply stopped trying to reset it, pushing buttons, etc., and left it alone overnight. In the morning the re-booting had stopped and the first thing I did was completely shut down the e-reader and then restarted it.
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2014, 06:05 PM   #3
glynbarlow

Thanks Ricky,

I tried that, I left it unplugged for nearly 2 weeks, the screen stopped rolling round, but the initial page never went away. the yellow light (near where the red power light is) even stopped flashing.

I thought it was done, i tried to use the power button to shut down, but nothing happened, no response from and button or the reset button/power button combination.

When I put the charger back in, it just started rolling round again.

Any other ideas?

I feel that the restore/recovery option, perhaps with formatting the internal disks might help, but i am struggling to find the right set of software to put on my SD Card to perform this.

Does anyone know more details about how to do this kind of thing.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:25 PM   #4
sqdancer
Guru
sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T2 T3, Kobo Glo, AuraHD, H2O, GloHD, Clara, Libra2, Kindle NT PW4
Sounds like you tried the soft reset, but have you tried a hard reset?
sqdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 02:01 AM   #5
glynbarlow

Thanks sqdancer,

Could you be more specific? how do you do a "Hard Reset" on a sony prs-t1?
Advert
Old 03-17-2014, 06:37 AM   #6
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
When I had this problem with my T1 it was from poorly formated book recently loaded onto SD card. All books on my T1 are loaded using Calibre onto SD card. Removing the problem book solves the problem. Finding problem book is easy when only loading a few books at once.

Another problem is caused by having too many books in library while having setting to show book covers in library. My T1 with more than 1500 books freezes when looking for books in library if set to show book covers in library. With easy to read captions with title and author no need for book covers. Harder to get use to books sorted by authors first name then last name. Search for books in library by author's name quickly lists all books by that author.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 12:01 PM   #7
sharphamster
Anathema Device
sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T3/350, Kobo AuraH20/Mini, Axim X50v
What filmo said above - I had the same problem a while back and those steps worked for me also. It's a bit of work ferreting out the bad epub, but getting rid of it (and choosing list view rather than covers view) solved it.
sharphamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:11 PM   #8
glynbarlow

Thanks Guys,

I understand that the problem could be caused by a badly formatted book or too many books on the device.

However, now I have the problem that I cannot look at any books on the device as it keeps looping around the initial boot screen READER Opening book..... shows no progress for about 20 seconds and then blanks the screen and starts again. The yellow light (next to the red power light) is flashing constantly.

Plugging in a USB cable does not help as the book is not active long enough to register on my Linux system before it re-boots again.

As I said before, I have been attempting to use a blank SD card with the recover image on it but so far have not had any luck,

Can anyone say precisely how to do a HARD RESET?
Old 03-17-2014, 04:20 PM   #9
sqdancer
Guru
sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T2 T3, Kobo Glo, AuraHD, H2O, GloHD, Clara, Libra2, Kindle NT PW4
Resets per US Sony website :

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answer...8,73935,73936/
sqdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 03:29 AM   #10
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
This type of problem also happens when reader is rooted to put not stock firmware onto the reader. Sometimes this resulted in bricked reader.

Sony Dev Corner has many threads about bricked rooted Sony readers and possible fixes.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=141
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote