Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-08-2004, 05:09 PM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Ad Blocking

There's an interesting article, No-Cost Ad Blocking that seems to have ways of using "PAC" files to keep from wasting bandwidth downloading from common servers on the internet. I couldn't really understand it, and when I tried to do it with IE, I got a bit lost and didn't get it working. As you'll see below, I got nervous when I was supposed to run a registry change from a reg file, and I wasn't sure if that meant I was supposed to import those registry settings or what. But it scared me off, and made me very unsure of whether any of this would work on Firefox at all anyway.

Here's the basic process as I understand it from the article, but maybe someone else can clarify and let us know if it's easy or hard, and if it works with FireFox.

1) Download free ad-blocking PAC files from www.sherylcanter.com/articles/pac-file.zip and unzip pac-file.zip

2) [Optional, and for Operal only?] Set up Blackhole Proxy
I didn't do this, thinking it was optional, and it may have been my downfall.

3) Configure your browser to use the PAC file:
-- Set it to use automatic configuration script of ad-block.pac
-- Use 127.0.0.1 (localhost) as the proxy server. Here's where maybe you need to have Blackhole Proxy set up, but I'm not sure.
-- For IE, you need to also uncheck "Include all sites that bypass the proxy server" and turn off the "auto proxy caching mechanism". The last part there seems to need a modification to the internet advance options which can be done with a registry file from http://www.schooner.com/~loverso/no-...roxy-cache.reg
That's basically where I completely gave up.

So... anyone ever do this or know how to lead us less-technical types through the process safely? Is it even worth the trouble?
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 05:09 AM   #2
filip
Addict
filip can extract oil from cheesefilip can extract oil from cheesefilip can extract oil from cheesefilip can extract oil from cheesefilip can extract oil from cheesefilip can extract oil from cheesefilip can extract oil from cheesefilip can extract oil from cheesefilip can extract oil from cheese

Device: n810 -- PRS600
Use firefox (1.0 is just out) and the adblock extension.
filip is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2004, 05:12 AM   #3
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Yeah the adblock extension was my first extension for Firefox, and it is still my favorite. It is much easier than the method you described, plus it can also effectively hide flash-banner ads (most other ad-blockers fail in this regard).
Colin Dunstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 05:14 AM   #4
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Btw, I had problems accessing the Firefox homepage today, so if you want to download the final 1.0, you can go directly on Firefox's FTP:

http://207.200.85.49/pub/mozilla.org.../releases/1.0/
Colin Dunstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 05:27 AM   #5
filip
Addict
filip can extract oil from cheesefilip can extract oil from cheesefilip can extract oil from cheesefilip can extract oil from cheesefilip can extract oil from cheesefilip can extract oil from cheesefilip can extract oil from cheesefilip can extract oil from cheesefilip can extract oil from cheese

or http://ftp.eu.mozilla.org/pub/mozill.../releases/1.0/
Advert
Old 11-22-2004, 04:33 PM   #6
jrl
jrl began at the beginning.

PAC files and blocking ads

I tripped across this.

Of course, I'd prefer you download my PAC file for blocking ads: http://www.schooner.com/~loverso/no-ads/ Sheryl did include this link in the article, but my PAC file has lots of instructions.

The adblock extension for Mozilla and Firefox is an excellent thing to use. If you JUST use Mozilla and Firefox, then a PAC file like no-ads.pac isn't any better than adblock.

However, a PAC file like no-ads.pac gives you something adblock can't: a mechanism that works with other browsers, like E, Opera, Konquorer, etc.

no-ads.pac works perfectly fine with Firefox. (I'm typing this from Firefox now). It isn't really hard to install or understand; try reading my page above. I also have a forum for helping people get started.

The registry setting for IE is needed to stop IE from accidentally defeating a special PAC file. The setting is simple (and the key is listed on my page). You don't need to go into the Internet Properties Advanced settings once you use the supplied .reg file; it defaults to the correct value.

Once you get no-ads.pac working, all banner ads turn into failed image fetches. Under IE, these become a little red "x", or a "broken" icon in Mozilla.

A 'blackhole proxy' is used to serve up a blank image for each banner ad blocked, which makes the red 'x' or "broken" image go disappear.
jrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 04:41 PM   #7
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Thanks jrl, I'll look for your instructions and give it another try.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 07:48 AM   #8
filip
Addict

I agree that this method can be used and usefull for others browser than firefox/mozilla.
But I always use them