Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-30-2010, 01:55 PM   #16
some call me tim
Connoisseur
some call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Libra
I'm not a fast reader myself, either. Probably faster than the average joe, but slower than most "bookies." I remember in my school days, I looked into speed reading so I could get through my assigned reading faster. One of the techniques I remember reading about is to split the page up into sections and try reading those sections at a time rather than focusing on each word. Basically, they recommended drawing vertical lines down the page to break it into thirds or one line down the middle to break it into halves. It helps with not pronouncing words in your head, like others were suggesting. I actually drew lines onto my pages (I'm sure my English teachers weren't amused)...it'd actually work well on an ereader if you found a non-permanent solution. Dry erase marker, maybe? (I don't want to be the first to test it though!)

I know you said you don't want to speed read, and neither do I, exactly. But like Solicitous said, now I have such easy access to all the books I want to read, I want to get through each one so I can dive into the next! It doesn't help that I seem to be attracted to sprawling, epic series.
some call me tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:04 PM   #17
socal9
socal9 began at the beginning.

Device: waiting for kindle
I enjoy reading but am a pretty slow reader. I had also thought about trying speed reading and have used an app called Quick Reader on the Ipod Touch. It exercises your eyes and helps you to take in more words at a time. However there are times when I feel as if I am just trying to read faster for the sake of reading faster. I tend to lose the enjoyment of reading. Perhaps I am not yet trained in the techniques yet but when I read at a "comfortable" pace for me, I enjoy the book much more.

Perhaps I should not feel rushed to finish a book but rather just read it and enjoy. There are other aspects of life that can be too rushed. Reading is my time to relax
socal9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2010, 02:15 PM   #18
some call me tim
Connoisseur
some call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal9 View Post
I enjoy reading but am a pretty slow reader. I had also thought about trying speed reading and have used an app called Quick Reader on the Ipod Touch. It exercises your eyes and helps you to take in more words at a time. However there are times when I feel as if I am just trying to read faster for the sake of reading faster. I tend to lose the enjoyment of reading. Perhaps I am not yet trained in the techniques yet but when I read at a "comfortable" pace for me, I enjoy the book much more.

Perhaps I should not feel rushed to finish a book but rather just read it and enjoy. There are other aspects of life that can be too rushed. Reading is my time to relax
I agree with pretty much all of that. I just don't relish being "the slow kid" when it comes to my reading friends.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:27 AM   #19
dcptcons4evr
Avid Reader
dcptcons4evr began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3
I've always been a fairly slow reader I think it helps you better savor and understand what your reading though because you have more time to dwell on it, it's not a race
dcptcons4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:53 AM   #20
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Format C: View Post
Don't pronounce in your mind what you read with your eyes.
I am a horrible, horrible person. Because I not only pronounce it in my mind, I have to find the right voice and cadence. If the protagonist is an Irish homosexual, then I have to make it sound like that in my mind, if a character is an Australian crock wrestler then it becomes an entirely different voice.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2010, 01:54 PM   #21
bitemeok
Connoisseur
bitemeok began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Skip the boring parts.
bitemeok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 03:09 PM   #22
some call me tim
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitemeok View Post
Skip the boring parts.
That's how I ripped through LOTR.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:01 PM   #23
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
I've often wished I could read slower, myself. My mom taught me to read when I was 4 and I haven't stopped yet.

I say just read at a pace that feels comfortable for you. Reading is a pleasure, don't rush it.

Fast is not necessarily better.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:54 PM   #24
socal9
socal9 began at the beginning.

Device: waiting for kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I am a horrible, horrible person. Because I not only pronounce it in my mind, I have to find the right voice and cadence. If the protagonist is an Irish homosexual, then I have to make it sound like that in my mind, if a character is an Australian crock wrestler then it becomes an entirely different voice.
I started listening to audiobooks earlier this year on my commute to and from work. Having the right narrator can really enhance ones enjoyment of the material. I now also find myself at times imagining different voices for the characters of a book I may be reading.
socal9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:13 PM   #25
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Last night Iinadvertantly caught myself visualizing a badger from one sentence in a book. Even worse for a moment I was the badger. (Shadow Pavillion by Liz Williams)
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:08 AM   #26
meromana
Zealot
meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: my laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
OMG! Thank you for being the first one brave enough to admit it. Now all of us who suffer from "theater of the mind" while reading can come out of the closet. Such a relief to know I am not the only one. Maybe we need to start a support group for...ah...I don't know what to call this affliction. Anyone got a suggestion?

I attribute mine to years of reading aloud to my children. My daughters will officially be teenagers next month, and they still enjoy having me read to them, complete with various voices, personalities, and accents. I channel my inner movie star...

--Maria
:
(some of my many roles)
meromana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 01:21 AM   #27
harryE123
Banned
harryE123 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex reader
I always pronounce when I read, or at least I think I do most of the time. Is this bad? I wasn't aware of this. But then again I wasn't aware that people actually read without having an inner voice pronouncing in their heads.
harryE123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 03:10 AM   #28
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Maybe that is why I often get disappointed when I watch the movie version of a book I have read. The director and I very often seem to have divergent views as to how a character is supposed to act and sound.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 03:35 AM   #29
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
practice

For me reading is a skill. When I don't read regularly my reading speed slows down. So my suggestion is just to make sure you read regularly, it will help you speed up.

I don't have to pronounce the words when I read, but I was taught whole word recognition, instead of phonetics when I was learning to read. It takes longer to learn but apparently it results in you being able to read faster. I can't sound out words to save my life.

Anyway, I hope that you enjoy your new ereader!

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote