Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-14-2010, 03:12 PM   #1
rabbie
rabbie began at the beginning.

Device: none
Privacy best Reader

What are the best ereaders if I do not want my reading habits monitored and do not want to have books deleted remotely. I want a reader that does most available formats and has good performance. I want to buy a book download it and read it without any outside interference or oversight. I don't require WiFi or 3g and am happy to load via usb from PC. I would be grateful for any suggestions.
rabbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:24 PM   #2
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I have a Sony 505 that fits your specifications. I absolutely love it. The 505 has been discontinued by Sony, but you can find them on eBay. You could also look into any of the non-big-name devices -- basically, anything that doesn't have a company store attached.

As far as DRM-restricted formats, there is no reader that can read more than one of them; platform lock-in is kind of the whole point. If you're willing to strip the DRM, you can convert most formats to most other and solve the problem that way. I just don't buy DRM-restricted ebooks, which avoids the whole issue.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2010, 03:35 PM   #3
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Jetbook or Jetbook light beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Unlike many other popular readers it does not use a E-ink display. However its reflective TFT screen has no flash at page turn, and is quite snappy. Doesn't do color, but it has good contrast. Can read equally well in full sunlight down to a single candle. (Woke up with no power this morning, sat and read by candlelight till it came on)
And at 5" some feel it is small, although that doesn't seem to bother those of use who love it. Its very portable, has 6 font sizes. Switch's from portrait to landscape mode at the touch of a button.

It can read an incredibly wide range of formats, has no wireless, or wifi, but it does have a SD slot capable of holding most people's entire library.

Best of all only you will know what you care to put on it.
Having access to a PC of some sort is probably a must for adding books.

Check out the jetbook forum here at MR to learn more.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:11 PM   #4
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
I love my Sony PRS-600. It can read pdf, epub, its old lrf format, Word docs converted to rtf etc. You download the books to your pc and then load them onto your reader.

for DRM material you would need Adobe Digital Editions which can read epub & pdf

You can back up your purchased books on your internal hard drive, an external hard drive and also memory chips of various sizes. I utilize all 3!

I don't let DRM deter me from buying books, nor can I be bothered stripping them. I will simply make sure that any future reader I get will accept ADE so that I can continue reading my purchased books.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:27 PM   #5
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Anything that doesn't have wireless is good for privacy. Sony Pocket, Astak Pocket Pro & EZReader Plus, CoolER, Jetbook & Lite, no doubt some others I'm forgetting.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2010, 04:33 PM   #6
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Or anything with a switch on its wireless. My Sony 900's switch is off, unless I want to buy over 3G. And I'm using Calibre to manage & translate books. I feel plenty private enough.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:15 PM   #7
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post

for DRM material you would need Adobe Digital Editions which can read epub & pdf
In theory, ADE, B&N, Sony, etc reader apps could easily remove content from your device when it is synced. They could all phone home to report what books were on it, then remove any that shouldn't be on there.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:34 PM   #8
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Jesus you people are beyond paranoid.

Would you please explain exactly how this THEORY would work? Even if they removed it from my device, they can't remove it from my pc, as well as being backed up on a seperate HD & a microchip.

I buy the vast majority of my books from other places that are much cheaper than Sony & B&N.

Unless I'm logged into their store how are they going to access my books? The most they could do is remove it from my account online, but since it is still on my pc it doesn't matter.

Adobe isn't a bookseller, and for Sony, or any other store to remove books that I haven't bought from THEM would be STEALING!

And after the uproar over what Amazon did, I don't think any of them would be stupid enough to do something like it again.

Add in the fact that the books that I did get from Sony & B&N were FREE BOOKS.

Sometimes you all take yourselves WAY too seriously and (supposed) problems to the extreme. You can dream up as many theories as you like, but it certainly doesn't mean it will happen.

When Fictionwise & others lost the Agency 5, you all were in an uproar since a good chunk of books disappeared & you lost them. But it was your own fault since you didn't bother downloading them right away. I had no loss since I always download what I buy right after I buy it.

There are always ways to protect yourself without having to either do things illegally or create a whole bunch of work for yourself (stripping DRM) to accomplish what you want.

Last edited by cfrizz; 07-14-2010 at 06:40 PM.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:41 PM   #9
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
How so? I mean, in theory, calibre could be hacked to act this way, but in the real world it doesn't.
Any evidence that ADE phones home with the content of your ereader? Do you think they care? They are not in the business of tracking consumer preferences like amazon is.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:41 AM   #10
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Check out the Kobo. No 3G, no wireless, download from your PC, store your books there or on an SD card or both...or burn them to a CD.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:49 AM   #11
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
There are many, many ebook readers that satisfy your requirements. Be more specific. Do you want a 5" or 6" screen? Touch screen? What do you mostly read? Where do you live?
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 03:54 AM   #12
rabbie
rabbie began at the beginning.

Device: none
Privacy best reader

Thanks for all the info. I would like a 6" screen with eink. In the UK at the moment they are selling the Iriver story for £149 which looks like a good buy.
Does anyone ahve any experience of this?
Thanks
rabbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:12 AM   #13
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Rabbie welcome to mobileread .... Have a look here <> - from mobileread's Wiki

As you can see I have a Gen3 .... (at least it's European and doesn't have wifi)
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:09 PM   #14
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
How so? I mean, in theory, calibre could be hacked to act this way, but in the real world it doesn't.
Any evidence that ADE phones home with the content of your ereader? Do you think they care? They are not in the business of tracking consumer preferences like amazon is.
Not yet, but nobody has any idea what they might want to do in the future. Especially if there is money to be made by doing so. If you doubt it is possible, you are wrong.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:59 PM   #15
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
PRS-505 as mentioned before, PRS-300, and PRS-600. Kobo. Ectaco. The Hanvon readers. Hanlin ones (Astak EZReader, BEBook, etc).

Also, the important thing is to make sure you use something like Calibre, and not the official ebook manager, and avoid DRM'ed books (or at least strip the DRM if it is possible where you live).

All the ebooks I've mentioned are not wireless, but some have official apps that may hide something that will delete the books when you sync the reader. If you avoid using their apps, they can't do any tricks.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote