Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-23-2011, 10:32 PM   #1
amybobamy
Befuddled Neophyte
amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Nook Color
Smile Will someone please point me to a Kindle Classroom Set thread?

Hi everyone!

I'm about to place an order for a large number of ereaders. I need to be able to restrict wifi access, and I require TTS. I would have liked library-borrowing very much, but as we all know, this is not a Kindle feature without ridiculous calisthenics, and I'm not going to do that for a classroom set!

My preference is for a PocketBook (library borrowing just seems like a no-brainer for a classroom set), but in the event that I cannot swing it for some reason, the Kindle will be my next choice.

I seem to be unable to find any good Kindles-in-Classrooms threads -- Is there some kind soul here who will point me in the right direction, please?

Thank you in advance for your help!
amybobamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:09 PM   #2
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Library book borrowing doesn't work as you would expect anyways. Each library has a limited license of the books, so even though it is digital, only so many people can be reading the book at the same time (often just one book). As a result, there is a really long wait time. It definitely would not work in a school environment.

When you say restrict WiFi access, you're being slightly too general. It could be interpreted as either that you don't want people to connect to other WiFi networks, or you don't want people to use the school network to browse the web. There's no way to stop people from connecting to other WiFi networks, AFAIK. For the other case, if the school network already blocks sites on personal computers (using something like OpenDNS or Endian Firewall), the block should extend to the Kindle WiFi. However, if they use something like K9 web security, which is installed on each computer (so someone who brings their own computer/iPod to school can access the internet freely), it would not block certain websites.

To be honest, I'd think that buying a set of the Sony Pocketreaders would be a better choice. They don't have WiFi (If you plan on letting students use their Kindles to research online, you're dreaming), so students can't get distracted. They're cheaper, and they fully support the EPUB standard and Adobe DRM. I believe that the latest ones use the same screen technology as the Kindles (E-Ink Pearl).

Don't get me wrong: I own and love my Kindle 3G+WiFi, but I just don't believe that it would be fit for a school environment.

Last edited by kranu; 02-23-2011 at 11:12 PM.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2011, 01:16 AM   #3
amybobamy
Befuddled Neophyte
amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kranu View Post
Library book borrowing doesn't work as you would expect anyways. Each library has a limited license of the books, so even though it is digital, only so many people can be reading the book at the same time (often just one book). As a result, there is a really long wait time. It definitely would not work in a school environment.

When you say restrict WiFi access, you're being slightly too general. It could be interpreted as either that you don't want people to connect to other WiFi networks, or you don't want people to use the school network to browse the web. There's no way to stop people from connecting to other WiFi networks, AFAIK. For the other case, if the school network already blocks sites on personal computers (using something like OpenDNS or Endian Firewall), the block should extend to the Kindle WiFi. However, if they use something like K9 web security, which is installed on each computer (so someone who brings their own computer/iPod to school can access the internet freely), it would not block certain websites.

To be honest, I'd think that buying a set of the Sony Pocketreaders would be a better choice. They don't have WiFi (If you plan on letting students use their Kindles to research online, you're dreaming), so students can't get distracted. They're cheaper, and they fully support the EPUB standard and Adobe DRM. I believe that the latest ones use the same screen technology as the Kindles (E-Ink Pearl).

Don't get me wrong: I own and love my Kindle 3G+WiFi, but I just don't believe that it would be fit for a school environment.

But as far as I know, the Sony PocketReaders don't have text-to-speech, do they?
Old 02-24-2011, 07:44 AM   #4
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Check out EduKindle at http://www.edukindle.com/
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:50 AM   #5
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I think you should also consider Kranu's first paragraph if you expect students to all be reading the same book at the same time:

"Library book borrowing doesn't work as you would expect anyways. Each library has a limited license of the books, so even though it is digital, only so many people can be reading the book at the same time (often just one book). As a result, there is a really long wait time. It definitely would not work in a school environment."

It will not be possible to borrow sufficient copies for more than 2 or 3 students if that. This would not matter if it were the kindle or a reader that does natively read library epub books.

The only way for multiple copies would be to strip the drm and that probably would not be a great example to students - illegal or inappropriate drm removal.

Now getting classics in the public domain might work. But if students need to purchase each book that could be pricey.

But I'm sure this concept will shake out soon enough. ereaders and ebooks in schools will become more natural and maybe it will be like textbooks in public school - there will be a deal from publishers and re-use permitted year after year.

Although if I recall public school, a long time ago, when we read literature, we did buy our own copies of books and plays.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2011, 11:58 AM   #6
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
The OP has gone through the pros and cons in another thread in the What Do I want Forum. As she mentioned, she is talking with Pocketbook because she wants to have TTS on the device to help students who are not native English speakers.

I have not seen a Kindle in the Classroom thread here. I am trying to think if I have seen on at Kindle Boards and nothing is coming to mind.

You could start the thread, explain how you want to use the device, what your goals are for the kids using the device, and we might be able to offer advice. The folks here are pretty good at thinking creativly.

Outside of trusting your students to not turn the WiFi on, I think you are stuck with it on.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:34 PM   #7
amybobamy
Befuddled Neophyte

Hi, all --

The point of having them borrow library books (an issue that we all are tired of, in relation to Kindles) would not be so much for classroom use, as it would be: I just want them to learn to use technology to borrow books they would like to read. That's all.

We already are obligated to purchase books for classroom use, so that is not the issue. It's just that I would have liked to them to learn to enjoy reading that they choose themselves, without my forcing it on them, and for free.

Grr @ amazon, but oh well.

If I am not able to get the Pocketbook, then I will settle (with mixed feelings) for Kindles. Which is great, because I happen to love the Kindle. It's just not my ideal (but my husband is not available in ereader format, go figure)
Old 02-24-2011, 01:40 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
It's just not my ideal (but my husband is not available in ereader format, go figure)
Your husband is a book?!
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:29 PM   #9
amybobamy
Befuddled Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Your husband is a book?!
About nine good jokes came to mind in response to both my garbled metaphor and your reaction, but I'm pretty sure I should not post them on a family-friendly forum, unfortunately!

Old 02-24-2011, 04:47 PM   #10
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by amybobamy View Post
About nine good jokes came to mind in response to both my garbled metaphor and your reaction, but I'm pretty sure I should not post them on a family-friendly forum, unfortunately!

Is this forum family friendly?
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:17 PM   #11
amybobamy
Befuddled Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Is this forum family friendly?
This thread is!

Old 02-24-2011, 05:17 PM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Surely carefully worded innuendo isn't frowned upon.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:21 PM   #13
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by amybobamy View Post
...I need to be able to restrict wifi access...
Do you need to restrict WiFi access all the time or just while in school. If it is only "in school" access that is an issue you shouldn't have a problem.

It should be rather straight forward for your IT dept. to arrange to block the Kindles. It could be done by denying access at the WiFi access point(s) to the Kindles by MAC number.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:27 PM   #14
amybobamy
Befuddled Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
Do you need to restrict WiFi access all the time or just while in school. If it is only "in school" access that is an issue you shouldn't have a problem.

It should be rather straight forward for your IT dept. to arrange to block the Kindles. It could be done by denying access at the WiFi access point(s) to the Kindles by MAC number.
Probably the students will not be able to access the school's wireless (by design).

We have found that our students are able to use school neighbors' wifi to download all kinds of things that are unsuited to school time, school equipment, and school life in general. They also tend to use wifi to text each other in class (bad for testing and also bad for focusing on instruction). Really, trust me, there are not a lot of honorable uses of wifi for students in schools. Parents get mobile phones, etc., with the idea that it helps them stay in contact with their children in an emergency, but I have seen that happen about twice, in my career.

I would like to add that I am learning a great deal on these forums, and quite grateful for all the help!

Last edited by amybobamy; 02-25-2011 at 01:08 AM.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:02 AM   #15
kaleissin
Connoisseur
kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaleissin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard Wi-Fi, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Your husband is a book?!
... written in an unknown language?
kaleissin is offline   Reply With Quote