Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-25-2011, 05:26 AM   #1
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Romance ebooks for a guy?

My mother has always devoured romantic novels. It was only a matter of time until I grabbed one, made by Lisa Kleypas, and I got hooked into them.

As of now, I'm quite sure of what I want when reading them:
  • I'm not fond of supernatural/fantastic settings or plot devices.
  • Victorian times are my preferred setting for historical novels, unless I know the writer can fend herself well with historical research.
  • I have a sense of humor, and I want it properly catered to.
  • I like sagas, but I prefer them to be not too long (the same happens with manga, now that I think about it... ).
  • Lesbian content, either in the protagonist couple or in any Beta one, is nice to have, though by no means a requisite.

Examples of novels I loved: Boy Meets Girl, by Meg Cabot (Cabot's wit never fails to make me laugh); Then Came You, by Lisa Kleypas (actually I'm quite a sucker for her works...); The Duncan Trilogy by Jane Feather.

Does anyone have any recommendations along some of these guidelines, or maybe something which is simply interesting to read in the genre?

Thanks in advance.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:01 AM   #2
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Have you tried Amanda Quick? Her books are light, funny, Victorian/Regency and I think that she includes some lesbian/gay couples (not main but reference to them or they're hero's friends or relatives).

You can try "The Bastion Club" or the the last Stephanie Laurens' four books about brides.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2011, 08:45 PM   #3
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Just FYI, some of the Amanda Quick novels have a paranormal theme (but magic, not vamps, etc).

I think Julia Quinn's historical romances have a good sense of humor. And she does have her "Bridgertons" series...
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:08 PM   #4
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, Terisa and Fizzy!

Amanda Quick has quite nice novels and she makes better thrillers than average, I'd like her to continue her Vanza-related saga...
I've only read the second book of the Bridgerton series: the main premise was a bit dull but she wrote it well, so I'll dig out more. Thanks for reminding me of her!
Before you suggest her, Christine Dodd is not unknown to me either.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:03 PM   #5
FizzyWater
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
I've only read the second book of the Bridgerton series: the main premise was a bit dull but she wrote it well, so I'll dig out more. Thanks for reminding me of her!
I think the book that had me chuckling the most for Quinn was Brighter Than the Sun. It starts out with the heroine falling out of a tree, on top of the hero. I'm not going to say the story is anything like the Nick & Nora movies, but I thought the relationship between the two main characters had that same type of humor.

Hmmm...I just doublechecked that I had the right book...the description says the hero is the one who falls out of the tree. I really thought it was the girl...
Advert
Old 02-26-2011, 08:12 PM   #6
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Give Elizabeth Hoyt a try.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 01:43 AM   #7
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
You seem to have already discovered Lisa Kleypas and Amanda Quick and as a guy myself, I would suggest the following Regency/Medieval/Eur Historical titles:
Lord of Scoundrels by Loretta Chase
Mr. Impossible by Loretta Chase
Perils of Pleasure by Julie Ann Long
If His Kiss is Wicked by Jo Goodman
The Raven Prince by Elizabeth Hoyt
The Vicar's Daughter by Deborah Simmons
Mrs. Drew Plays Her Hand by Carla Kelly
The Truth About Lord Stoneville by Sabrina Jeffries
The Bride or The Secret both by Julie Garwood

If you like SF, you should try Games of Command by Linnea Sinclair

If you like Steampunk, you should try The Iron Duke by Meljean Brook

If you like Contemporary, you should consider:
See Jane Score by Rachel Gibson
True Confessions by Rachel Gibson
Something About You by Julie James
Kiss an Angel by Susan Elizabeth Phillips
It Had To Be You by Susan Elizabeth Phillips
To Catch a Cheat by Kelly St. John

If you are looking for excellent erotic romance, I would start with La Bonne by Michele de Lully.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 01:45 AM   #8
Valentino
Connoisseur
Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: some.
I'm a guy that can appreciate real romace. Any popular romance book that I've tried to read is super cheesy and good for a laugh.
Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 02:18 AM   #9
Valentino
Connoisseur
Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valentino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: some.
nvm, wasn't productive.

Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 02:46 AM   #10
FizzyWater

You might want to try His at Night by Sherry Thomas.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:57 AM   #11
SlowRain
Addict
SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: HTC 10, Asus Phonepad
If it were anyone else but you, Logseman, I probably wouldn't reply to this thread. I'm not sure how well it fits your criteria but, if you haven't already done so, get yourself a copy of Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel García Márquez. You're lucky enough to be able to read him in Spanish, but Edith Grossman's translation is downright beautiful. Maybe also try Bel Canto by Ann Patchett, but it's not strictly a romance novel.
SlowRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:23 AM   #12
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
I've read a few romance novels found them very enjoyable. I prefer novels set in modern times and feature ordinary people, rather than those in fantasy settings. Two that I can recommend are:

- "Valentines Bachelors" by Elise Title, Tiffany White, Pamela Bauer. This is the novel that got me hooked on romance novels. A collection of three stories with a framing setup. All three are funny and the entire book is worth a read.

- "Not This Guy!" by Glenda Saunders. One of my favorites and one that I give an occasional re-read because it's so enjoyable.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:08 PM   #13
Logseman
Orisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowRain View Post
If it were anyone else but you, Logseman, I probably wouldn't reply to this thread. I'm not sure how well it fits your criteria but, if you haven't already done so, get yourself a copy of Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel García Márquez. You're lucky enough to be able to read him in Spanish, but Edith Grossman's translation is downright beautiful. Maybe also try Bel Canto by Ann Patchett, but it's not strictly a romance novel.
I'm honored that I can move you to do the unexpected

I have read El amor en los tiempos del cólera. Sadly Florentino Ariza struck me as a creep, so it's one of the few titles of García Márquez I don't recommend (unlike great pieces like The Story of a Shipwrecked Sailor).

I have got hold of Slightly Married by Mary Balogh, and so far I'm liking it a lot. Seemingly it's a the first tome of a saga, so I'll try to spot the others.

Thanks for your replies, everyone!
Old 02-27-2011, 09:12 PM   #14
SlowRain
Addict
SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: HTC 10, Asus Phonepad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post

I have read El amor en los tiempos del cólera...it's one of the few titles of García Márquez I don't recommend
Say it isn't so!

While I think there's a good case for not being enthused with either Florentino or Fermina, I think the multi-faceted discussion about love that is presented in this novel should transcend the characters' shortcomings--even with the doctor, whom I merely thought was okay. The novel focuses on all aspects of "love", both good and bad. Sadly, Florentino is the one used to discuss most of these as his character is the freest, regarding both convention and time--but he's also the emptiest because of it. If you look at his character apart from the "love" incidents, he's really not that bad of a guy. Don't hold him too responsible, as I think García Márquez is just using him to discuss all the things that people in general do in the name of love--it's just that it's so heavily concentrated with Florentino's character. You'd have to be pretty creeped out by humanity as a whole as to be creeped out by Florentino.
SlowRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:27 PM   #15
randyflycaster
Zealot
randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350
Madame Bovary, the one and only. IMHO, a great, great novel.
Randy
randyflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote