Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-16-2011, 07:40 PM   #1
Falcao
Banned
Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650
Sony Tablet S

Well, another disappointment.

Too pricey ($499 for 16GB) and a 9.4" screen too thin (1280x800 = 16:10) for reading.

It looks like a universal plot, why nobody else besides the evil empire (aka Apple) builds 4:3 9"-10" tablets?

I will give the good guys one more year, if they don't come with something good I will hunt (gasp!) a second-hand iPad.

Last edited by Falcao; 09-16-2011 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Syntax
Falcao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:25 PM   #2
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
if you havent actually tried it at the Sony Store then dont dismiss it until you do.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2011, 08:56 PM   #3
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcao View Post
Well, another disappointment.

Too pricey ($499 for 16GB) and a 9.4" screen too thin (1280x800 = 16:10) for reading.

It looks like a universal plot, why nobody else besides the evil empire (aka Apple) builds 4:3 9"-10" tablets?

I will give the good guys one more year, if they don't come with something good I will hunt (gasp!) a second-hand iPad.
The HP touchpad is also a 4:3 tablet. I quite like it.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 09:00 PM   #4
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
True but it's hardly a current product any more after HP dumped it... if I'm buying a new gadget then I'd like it to actually have a manufacturer supported future...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 09:34 PM   #5
Falcao
Banned
Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
if you havent actually tried it at the Sony Store then dont dismiss it until you do.
I'm sure the tablet is a impressive piece of hardware, but I don't like to read in a 16:10 tablet. And we have the price. I think that in order to compete with the iPad they should offer at least a better price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
Ditto to what elcreative said. Moreover, if HP kills webOS (BTW a risque name in Spanish) then there will not be many apps available.

And my original question remains, why the iPad is the only 4:3 tablet in the 9"-10" market?
Falcao is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2011, 10:07 PM   #6
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
And my original question remains, why the iPad is the only 4:3 tablet in the 9"-10" market?
I will be surprised if Amazon's rumored 9'-10" tablet isn't 4:3.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 03:34 AM   #7
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:

Maybe because they have dedicated 4:3 readers.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 06:49 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
My guess would be that it's because most Tablet manufacturers are going after the video market, and 16:9 is a better aspect ratio for video than is 4:3.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:58 AM   #9
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
My guess would be that it's because most Tablet manufacturers are going after the video market, and 16:9 is a better aspect ratio for video than is 4:3.
I think Harry has nailed it.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:29 AM   #10
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I also find 16:9 a better aspect ration for books...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:35 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I also find 16:9 a better aspect ration for books...
I don't like it at all for reading books; it's too tall and narrow. It's interesting to note that, AKAIK, all dedicated reading devices have a 4:3 screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:50 AM   #12
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
I prefer 16:9 for books as well. Reminds me of why I love reading on the Sony 950. This tablet's 9.4 inch screen is still very functional for my needs (primarily reading). The 7" on the NOOKcolor is too small now. Plus it's too heavy for its size. I'm looking forward to getting the Sony tablet. The price is steep, but it'll serve my needs well given the unique form factor.

Last edited by SCION; 09-18-2011 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Correction to screen size
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:58 AM   #13
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I don't like anything larger than 7" for an ebook reader... But I think Harry is right, it's probably mostly geared for multimedia, rather than only books.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 02:47 PM   #14
Tony Szmuk
Connoisseur
Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ,,,
From what I've seen so far, I like the Sony S. The price though is too high to compete with the iPad. Anyway, I think that in three years from now when you'll buy a high end TV set, you'll get a free tablet with it with all the bells and whistles you can find on this Sony S and even more. Heck! HP already launched a printer bundled with a tablet. OK, that tablet is a piece of s**t, but it's a start...
Tony Szmuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 02:54 PM   #15
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Szmuk View Post
From what I've seen so far, I like the Sony S. The price though is too high to compete with the iPad. Anyway, I think that in three years from now when you'll buy a high end TV set, you'll get a free tablet with it with all the bells and whistles you can find on this Sony S and even more. Heck! HP already launched a printer bundled with a tablet. OK, that tablet is a piece of s**t, but it's a start...
Samsung is already doing that-and Sony is definitely in a position to do something similar.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote