Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-27-2010, 09:15 AM   #1
senshikaze
senshikaze began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-700
Calibre not showing text in UI [solved]

Calibre version: 0.7.5

When starting calibre, no text, or very little text, is shown in the UI. attached is a picture of the problem. This seemed to have been fairly unexpected (i was on the previous version from the arch aur(im not sure what it was)) when it happened and the problem followed through a complete removal then install of the new version(0.7.5). I am not sure what to do from here.

only output to the terminal i get is:
Code:
(<unknown>:15226): Pango-WARNING **: failed to choose a font, expect ugly output. engine-type='PangoRenderFc', script='common'
link  hasn't been detected!
link  hasn't been detected!

(<unknown>:15226): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme directory  clear/64x64 of theme AwOken II has no size field
(<unknown>:15226): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme directory  clear/48x48 of theme AwOken II has no size field
(<unknown>:15226): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme directory  clear/32x32 of theme AwOken II has no size field
(<unknown>:15226): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme directory  clear/22x22 of theme AwOken II has no size field
(<unknown>:15226): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme directory  clear/16x16 of theme AwOken II has no size field
*note: those last 5 errors go away if i change my theme, but text does not come back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre-0.7.5.png
Views:	335
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	54154  

Last edited by senshikaze; 06-27-2010 at 05:07 PM. Reason: solved
senshikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:37 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Your problem is: Pango-WARNING **: failed to choose a font, expect ugly output. engine-type='PangoRenderFc', script='common'
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 04:02 PM   #3
senshikaze

i hope not. i get that on quite a few gtk apps, but they all fallback to a working font. what font does calibre default to so i can make sure i have it installed?

#Edit: okay so you were right

It seems that if you set a strange font (clearlyui glyphs for me) in the gnome appearence for application font, it freaks every pango app out. most will default to another font to recover. calibre does not. I fixed it, though it would be awesome if calibre would fall back on a sans font automagically. anyway, thanks for the help

solved.

Last edited by senshikaze; 06-27-2010 at 05:07 PM.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:07 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It uses whatever font is setup for Qt. You change it by using the qtconfig utility
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 05:22 PM   #5
senshikaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
It uses whatever font is setup for Qt. You change it by using the qtconfig utility
yea, sorry, i figured it out. thanks!