Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-15-2012, 09:14 PM   #31
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
I played a bit with rmmod and insmod for the usb devices. It seems that on the k5, host mode is always loaded, so that driver must be for the internal USB port:

http://www.aptasys.eu/weeco/?p=382

We may need a patched ehci-hcd.ko to work with the external USB port, as mentioned elsewhere by ixtab.

EDIT: Obviously, I am connected to wifi SSH on my k5 (not USBnet), to test changing USB modes.

Last edited by geekmaster; 08-16-2012 at 06:49 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:21 PM   #32
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
I discovered that I didn't own any USB keyboard (but I have seven wireless), so I went on the net and ordered one. Should have it in the beginning of next week. Will try and see what happens.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:28 PM   #33
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I discovered that I didn't own any USB keyboard (but I have seven wireless), so I went on the net and ordered one. Should have it in the beginning of next week. Will try and see what happens.
It will not work until we get OTG support working on the external USB jack. I am confident that we will have such support, but I do not know when.
Old 08-18-2012, 03:41 PM   #34
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
It will not work until we get OTG support working on the external USB jack. I am confident that we will have such support, but I do not know when.
His I'm in the start blocks then
Old 08-18-2012, 04:49 PM   #35
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Wireless is better, if the receiver is a USB device.
For instance the Logitech "unify" receiver.

The receiver would take far less power from the Kindle port than an actual keyboard would.
And, in the case of the Logitec receiver, would allow you to add both keyboard and mouse.

Logitect does not ship the "Unify" setup for Linux, but I have a Linux version that is in the "public domain". So getting the divices to "pair" under Linux is a solved problem.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:48 PM   #36
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Wireless is better, if the receiver is a USB device.
For instance the Logitech "unify" receiver.

The receiver would take far less power from the Kindle port than an actual keyboard would.
And, in the case of the Logitec receiver, would allow you to add both keyboard and mouse.

Logitect does not ship the "Unify" setup for Linux, but I have a Linux version that is in the "public domain". So getting the divices to "pair" under Linux is a solved problem.
Now that sounds interesting, I hadn't considered that option. The Logitech keyboards are a bit long in the tooth but I guess that shouldn't really matter.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:25 PM   #37
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Now that sounds interesting, I hadn't considered that option. The Logitech keyboards are a bit long in the tooth but I guess that shouldn't really matter.
That wasn't a recommendation, just an example of one that I am familiar with in my part of the world.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:05 AM   #38
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

OK, so now I have the USB keyboard, and I had it connected to both my Kindle and my Sony PRS-T1. No dice in either case. Nothing happened, so obviously the built-in software keyboards don't accept parsing from a connected USB keyboard.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:10 AM   #39
knc1
Going Viral

Maybe you missed my comment that Kindles do not support "OTG Auto Sense".
It will require more than just plugging it in.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:10 AM   #40
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
OK, so now I have the USB keyboard, and I had it connected to both my Kindle and my Sony PRS-T1. No dice in either case. Nothing happened, so obviously the built-in software keyboards don't accept parsing from a connected USB keyboard.
But that was to be expected

As some folks with more knowledge than I have pointed out, you need some software support for that as well: the USB controller needs to be put into "host" mode, and the correct kernel modules for the hardware must be loaded (usbhid and/or hid comes to my mind, but I may be wrong).
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:25 AM   #41
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

I became aware of that as the thread progressed, but by that time I had already ordered the keyboard. A girl can be optimistic, can't she?
Old 08-21-2012, 11:47 AM   #42
geekmaster

Even with OTG autodetection, your USB host mode adapter cable needs the fifth pin connected to signal trigger host mode. Some of the cables I got from ebay have this connection and work correctly on my Nexus 7, but others that I bought later do not work (only 4 wires connected), in which case you need to configure the port for host mode manually using a software OTG configuration program.

We still have work to do on this before we can plug in a keyboard or mouse or USB webcam (for Skype with 2-way video?)...
Old 08-21-2012, 11:53 AM   #43
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Is there some way I can check that?
It worked when I connected with a tablet but then I used a miniUSB to USB (female) conversion cable, not the OTG cable for microUSB.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:01 PM   #44
geekmaster

A standard USB jack has 4 pins. A micro USB jack has 5 pins. The extra pin is for OTG auto-detect, which is signaled by jumpering two pins together inside the host mode adapter. Some adapter cables are missing that jumper, so need software switching between device mode and host mode.

Because the pins are so small, it would be hard to check for that jumpered connection unless you had a breakout adapter that brings the pins out where you can connect to them and measure their resistance. In my case, I would check an OTG host mode adapter by plugging USB flash memory stick into it and into my Nexus 7, and see if my USB StickMount program detects it. That is how I know that some of my cables autodetect and others do not (depending on which ebay store supplied them).
Old 08-21-2012, 12:02 PM   #45
knc1
Going Viral

For the Kindle, it doesn't matter - the "Cable ID" connection is not recognized.
That is the job of the "OTG Auto Sense" feature that is not present.

It might work on one of your other devices (with an OTG Host adapter) - that would tell you if it (the adapter) works.