Enthusiast
edwdecarlo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX,Nexus 10,Fire HD
Calibre 0.9.24 [64-bit] Permission Denied Error

Setup::

Laptop: Dell Precission M6700
Hard drive (Library storage): Western Digital External USB

Issue::

I upgraded to v0.9.24 [64-bit] today. Now, when I change the title or author I receive a Permission denied error 'Could not change the on disk location of this book. Is it open in another program?'

Details:
Quote:
calibre, version 0.9.24
ERROR: Permission denied: Could not change the on disk location of this book. Is it open in another program?

Locked file: e:\archive\ebooks\templibrary\tempworking\dan abnett\doctor who - new series adventures - 030 (27970)\cover.jpg

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\library\models.py", line 980, in setData
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\library\models.py", line 1054, in _set_data
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 2193, in set
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 2527, in set_title
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 2463, in windows_check_if_files_in_use
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\filenames.py", line 297, in __init__
IOError: [Errno 13] File is open in another process: u'e:\\archive\\ebooks\\templibrary\\tempworking\\d an abnett\\doctor who - new series adventures - 030 (27970)\\cover.jpg'
I rebooted my laptop to clear any possible locks. The only application I have accessing my library directory is Calibre.

This does not happen every time, only about half the time and eventually my title or author change will be accepted. It has been several months since I have done any title/author changes (or changes which would affect the stored dirs/files), so this may have been occurring before 0.9.24.

Solution::

Remove Library from Windows Indexing. Delete and rebuild index.

Doing this resolved the issue in my setup. If this does not resolve your issue, please see below for additional suggestions from other members of the Calibre community.

Thanks to all for your help in figuring out this issue.

Last edited by edwdecarlo; 03-25-2013 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Solution
edwdecarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:54 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwdecarlo View Post
I upgraded to v0.9.24 [64-bit] today. Now, when I change the title or author I receive a Permission denied error 'Could not change the on disk location of this book. Is it open in another program?'

Details:

I rebooted my laptop to clear any possible locks. The only application I have accessing my library directory is Calibre.

This does not happen every time, only about half the time and eventually my title or author change will be accepted. It has been several months since I have done any title/author changes (or changes which would affect the stored dirs/files), so this may have been occurring before 0.9.24.
Are you sure you don't have the book open in the book viewer? While it is a part of Calibre, it is also runs standalone and allows multiple books to be open at the same time which is why it is not 'modal'.

Some sort of disk cache/cloud may be locking the file.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2013, 11:56 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Not to mention an antivirus program, or having your library on a network disk.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:04 AM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Is it possible you may have been editing the cover ?
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:05 AM   #5
edwdecarlo
Enthusiast

Thank you everyone for your input/help.

I do have an external hard drive which holds my library, but it is not a network drive, it is connected to my laptop via USB and is not shared. I was not viewing the book, or editing the cover.

I have had my library on the external drive for quite a bit of time and had not had this issue in the past. The issue is intermittent, and eventually after 2 or 3 repetitive tries it is able to accept my change (move/rename the book files) without me having to exit Calibre or reboot.

I did receive a driver upgrade for USB 3.0 recently, so perhaps that is interfering with the Microsoft file locking detection at times.

I am also removing my Calibre dirs from the Win 7 file Indexing to see if this is the issue. Perhaps some Windows update has affected the Indexing and locking on external drives (in the past Windows has assumed C and D to be physical drives and E or higher to be network drives which require a higher level of security/monitoring, and my external drive maps to E). I'll post the results once Windows finished the file Index rebuild.

Thanks again.
Advert
Old 03-23-2013, 11:19 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwdecarlo View Post
Thank you everyone for your input/help.

I do have an external hard drive which holds my library, but it is not a network drive, it is connected to my laptop via USB and is not shared. I was not viewing the book, or editing the cover.

I have had my library on the external drive for quite a bit of time and had not had this issue in the past. The issue is intermittent, and eventually after 2 or 3 repetitive tries it is able to accept my change (move/rename the book files) without me having to exit Calibre or reboot.

I did receive a driver upgrade for USB 3.0 recently, so perhaps that is interfering with the Microsoft file locking detection at times.

I am also removing my Calibre dirs from the Win 7 file Indexing to see if this is the issue. Perhaps some Windows update has affected the Indexing and locking on external drives (in the past Windows has assumed C and D to be physical drives and E or higher to be network drives which require a higher level of security/monitoring, and my external drive maps to E). I'll post the results once Windows finished the file Index rebuild.

Thanks again.
Also Exclude your Library folder from Real time Antivirus scans.

Windows users can lock in a drive letter (Mine is L: ) Using the Disk Manage (run: diskmgmt.msc) so it always keeps the same letter (suggest using letters in the range that will never get used with a New disk device)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:22 PM   #7
edwdecarlo
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Windows users can lock in a drive letter (Mine is L: ) Using the Disk Manage (run: diskmgmt.msc)
@theducks - Thanks for the info. I have been looking for where this is controlled since I switched over to Win 7 from XP. I'll give both of your ideas a try.