Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-21-2010, 09:39 PM   #1
Unit ID f3
Unit ID f3 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Nook vs. Kobo vs. others around 150USD

I've considered buying an E-Book Reader for a while and had been leaning toward the Kobo e-reader or one of the Hanlin readers, but today I saw that I can now get one of the new Nook models for $150, which brings it into the mix as well.

I find the Kobo to be a nice enough reader, but the software (lack of a "go to page" feature and lackluster format support primarily) seems lacking. I'm hoping that the major problems will be worked out, but with no information on it, I don't know.

The Hanlin readers seem nice enough, but the older v3 seems like it's being phased out, and the v5 is only a 5" screen, which seems small.

I really hadn't looked at the Nook much before today, given the old price point but the interface seemed laggy.I'm not sure how well that represents the current nook, as the video was from its launch, and I've heard that firmware updates have fixed some of those problems.

For what it's worth, I plan on reading primarily epub books (or pdfs if support is decent for them) and possibly some manga.

EDIT: For what it's worth, I'll primarily use downloaded files.

Thank you for any insights in advance
-f3

Last edited by Unit ID f3; 06-21-2010 at 11:45 PM.
Unit ID f3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:52 PM   #2
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
since it's inception the Nook has now gone through 4 firmware upgrades. All past issues have been addressed and it's performance been enhanced. Page turning speed is nice and snappy, downloading books is very fast.

With the wi fi only nook coming out at the same price as the Kobo, I honestly can not see any reason to buy a Kobo over the Nook. The Nook Lite has all the same features as the original Nook just minus the 3G.

It has web browser (though you'll find it's best use is for connecting to wi fi hot spots, though mobile websites actually are pretty good on it)

Free Anywhere At&t Wi Fi hotspots

You can download books wirelessly as long as you are connected to a wi fi connection
you can buy books off of Barnes and Nobles website and have it on your Nook without having to connect your device.

Color touchscreen navigation that display's book cover art.

InStore feature, read any book for up to an hour, Nook exclusive in store coupons, Freebies from Starbucks Cafe ( Free coffee's, dessert bars etc) Speciall prices on books for Nook only owners.

You can buy books from Kobo as well since it does support e-Pub,

I just honestly can not see anything advantageous in buying a Kobo over the Nook at the same price point.

Last edited by boswd; 06-21-2010 at 09:55 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2010, 10:08 PM   #3
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle + Sony
With the latest price drop to $189, I am still going to go with Kindle over the Nook. The hardware is super, page turns quick, and the selection is amazing. If you plan on buying most of your books, the savings will add up as well. Haven't had much trouble finding every book I wanted to read. It's a great value at $259 and even better now at $189. My 2 cents
BenLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:23 PM   #4
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLee View Post
With the latest price drop to $189, I am still going to go with Kindle over the Nook. The hardware is super, page turns quick, and the selection is amazing. If you plan on buying most of your books, the savings will add up as well. Haven't had much trouble finding every book I wanted to read. It's a great value at $259 and even better now at $189. My 2 cents

you don't find the hardware on the Kindle rather dated? I was going to get the Kindle after using my friends but after using the Nook, having the touch screen navigation and finger swiping and the fact with all the upgrade the page turning is just as fast and after the v1.4 might even be faster than the Kindle.

Going back to try the Kindle again and using that little joystick to navigate made it feel very "80ish like I was pac man or something.

I don't know I guess everyones different but the Nook is just more stlyish, has a more "Now " feel to it as opposed to the kindle. And I love the fact it has in store support for questions or if something goes wrong etc.

to me there are just too many extra features that the Nook has that the Kindle doesn't

but again everyone has their own tastes and needs

either way whichever one you choose, this price war is just great

Last edited by boswd; 06-21-2010 at 10:26 PM.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:01 PM   #5
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
either way whichever one you choose, this price war is just great
Yea that's what I'm thinking haha

I mean, maybe I'm just biased by having used Kindle first or something. I find it gets the job done, and has features I actually need like the on the fly dictionary. I don't care so much about how "cool" it looks as much because in the end, when I'm actually reading a good book, I'm just too absorbed to even care about it. It's probably something I think about before I buy it a lot more than once I'm using it. Then, it's all about how comfortable am I using this thing.
Advert
Old 06-21-2010, 11:05 PM   #6
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLee View Post
Yea that's what I'm thinking haha

I mean, maybe I'm just biased by having used Kindle first or something. I find it gets the job done, and has features I actually need like the on the fly dictionary. I don't care so much about how "cool" it looks as much because in the end, when I'm actually reading a good book, I'm just too absorbed to even care about it. It's probably something I think about before I buy it a lot more than once I'm using it. Then, it's all about how comfortable am I using this thing.

yeah I hear what you are saying. I come into the ereader market with a clean slate so I had no loyalties.

But now I feel about my Nook the way you feel about your Kindle.
It's weird how attached you get to these devices. It really is.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:13 PM   #7
BenLee
eReader Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
But now I feel about my Nook the way you feel about your Kindle.
It's weird how attached you get to these devices. It really is.
Nobody better lay a finger on my Kindle-windle!!
Old 06-27-2010, 05:23 PM   #8
caeebe
caeebe began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Touch PRS-650
I came here today with the same question as the first poster. I'm trying to decide on a new ereader. I currently use the very old eBookman with mobipocket. I download most of my books from my library in mobi format but recently all their new books are only being released in epub format. Between the change in format and my old ereader slowly breaking down I'm finally ready for an upgrade but I don't want to spend more than $150.

It appears to me that I can read my library books on either the Kobo or the Nook but the Nook has wifi. How useful is their wifi access? Is it only useful for buying books from Barnes and Noble or can I do more with it? Can I check my email or download books from other retailers (or even directly from my library)?
caeebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:57 AM   #9
Sylver
Addict
Sylver began at the beginning.

Device: The Nook, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by caeebe View Post

but the Nook has wifi. How useful is their wifi access? Is it only useful for buying books from Barnes and Noble or can I do more with it? Can I check my email or download books from other retailers (or even directly from my library)?
The nook lite (the wifi only version) has built in browser (albeit in beta) and once you connect to a hotspot or your home wireless service which is very easy, you can browse the web in addition to buying books from B&N. The 3G version also adds 3G connection on top of that, but without a softroot (some kind of hack), you can only use the 3G to buy books from B&N (obviously you can still use wifi to browse web and such as the 3G version keeps all the wifi function) and cannot do anything more. With a softroot, you can put in your own SIM card and use it to access the web (say if you are in a foreign country). I don't think you can use either to download books directly from library or other retailers, but I could be wrong.

I ordered a wifi only version, but am now weighing the benefits of a 3G (the using your own SIM card after softroot is attractive) and not sure if I should put in an extra $50 for a 3G version.
Sylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:18 PM   #10
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
I tried to download a book from my library with my boox and it didn't work. The reason is that the file from the library is an acsm file. Then you have to open that file with the desktop version of ADE to download the actual book. So downloading a book will only work if it downloads the actual epub and not an acsm file.
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:45 AM   #11
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Nook over Kindle

As a new Nook owner who really has no loyalty to any company, I can tell you three advantages that the Nook has over the Kindle that many Kindle owners neglect to acknowledge.

1. User replaceable Battery
2. Micro SD card slot for extra storage
3. Adobe Digital Editions Support (Check out books from the public Library)

Add these factors plus wifi, color touchscreen (some love it, some hate it, but at the very least the page swipe option is very nice), in store discounts/freebies, and EPUB support (More store options, ex: Sony Store) and I feel as though the Kindle lags behind the Nook.

The Nook is an upgrade, not a sidegrade from the Kindle and any of the Sony devices (don't get me started on those! So glad Target and Best Buy have display units).

Typically, when someone buys a device and enjoys it they tend to want to defend it and have trouble acknowledging that something better has appeared on the market. It is the nature of technology. While the Kindle has some advantages of its own (Longer battery life, excellent store, simple navigation) the Nook still trumps it. I absolutely love Amazon.com and shop with them all the time. If anything, they had the brand advantage until I was able to use both devices. With the Nook, I could play around with one at Best Buy and Barnes and Noble. With the Kindle, I could look at a non fully functional demo unit at Target. Luckily I was able to play with a friend's Kindle and when comparing the two devices, the Nook won hands down. Just my two cents
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:04 PM   #12
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah98 View Post
As a new Nook owner who really has no loyalty to any company, I can tell you three advantages that the Nook has over the Kindle that many Kindle owners neglect to acknowledge.

1. User replaceable Battery
2. Micro SD card slot for extra storage
3. Adobe Digital Editions Support (Check out books from the public Library)

The Nook is an upgrade, not a sidegrade from the Kindle and any of the Sony devices (don't get me started on those!
But for people with some minimal technical skills, Kindle disadvantages 1 and 3 are simple to cure.

Replacing the Kindle's battery is about the easiest feat for a "non-replaceable" battery. It pops in after you remove a few pieces--not even leads to unplug and plug.

ADE support: Google ineptepub. Then Calibre to convert. Follow the spirit of the Library's restrictions (i.e., delete the ebook when it's expired).

People have different needs, and for some, trading a Sony or Kindle for a Nook is not an upgrade, maybe not even a sidegrade. Most Nook owners may see it as an upgrade, but what if one likes full touch? Nook is not an upgrade (keep your Sony). You like quality metal and materials and small form factor? Nook is not an upgrade (keep your Sony). You like Wikipedia and Google Reader and Gmail anywhere? Nook is not an upgrade (keep your Kindle). Etc. You may laugh, but I wouldn't trade my Sony 505 straight up for a Nook.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:49 PM   #13
JerseyBiker
Addict
JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook Glowlight, Galaxy Tab S9, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
The Nook is an upgrade, not a sidegrade from the Kindle and any of the Sony devices

While the Kindle has some advantages of its own (Longer battery life, excellent store, simple navigation) the Nook still trumps it. I absolutely love Amazon.com and shop with them all the time. If anything, they had the brand advantage until I was able to use both devices.

Luckily I was able to play with a friend's Kindle and when comparing the two devices, the Nook won hands down. Just my two cents
I agree with you completely. I never owned a Sony reader so I can't comment on them. But we have both a nook and Kindle2 in our household. My wife and I both feel the nook is the better reader. People who bash the nook are still referring to it's sluggish performance addressed a couple of firmware upgrades ago. Amazon may have many more books than B&N but there are so many more sources where you can get ebooks for the nook. The nook supports more ebook formats. And yes the Kindle does have longer battery life but that just means you have to charge it a little more often. To me the nook is definitely a newer generation reader compared to the Kindle. The nook has so much potential with further firmware updates and softroot apps.

~eddie
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:14 AM   #14
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
But for people with some minimal technical skills, Kindle disadvantages 1 and 3 are simple to cure.

Replacing the Kindle's battery is about the easiest feat for a "non-replaceable" battery. It pops in after you remove a few pieces--not even leads to unplug and plug.

ADE support: Google ineptepub. Then Calibre to convert. Follow the spirit of the Library's restrictions (i.e., delete the ebook when it's expired).

People have different needs, and for some, trading a Sony or Kindle for a Nook is not an upgrade, maybe not even a sidegrade. Most Nook owners may see it as an upgrade, but what if one likes full touch? Nook is not an upgrade (keep your Sony). You like quality metal and materials and small form factor? Nook is not an upgrade (keep your Sony). You like Wikipedia and Google Reader and Gmail anywhere? Nook is not an upgrade (keep your Kindle). Etc. You may laugh, but I wouldn't trade my Sony 505 straight up for a Nook.
I can't argue with your point about replacing the battery because the video you linked to makes it seem easy. However, it does require a screwdriver and minor disassembly. Certainly not as easy as the Nook.

Your point about ADE support is suspect. I suppose it could be said about every ereader in the world that all you have to do is A) Strip the DRM B) Convert in Calibre. C) Erase when you are done. Using this logic, format and store distribution are irrelevant. This process is not as easy as it sounds (and illegal). If you are going to do all that, you might as well just download a pirated copy of the book in a kindle supported format (I don't condone this).

Your points about design, full touch, etc. are all good points because as readers, we all have personal preferences. For example, I would prefer a small color touchscreen over a full eink touchscreen with glare and poor contrast.

Your point about Wikipedia, Google Reader, and Gmail is valid, but I believe the Nook's browser can at least do all of this over wifi, although not everywhere unless it is soft rooted. However, these are features that could be integrated with future firmware updates.

I tried to stay away from minor quibbles in my analysis, because no device is perfect, and all devices have their strengths and weaknesses. For example, I didn't mention the fact that on the Nook you can play Chess and Sodoku anywhere. I think an easy to replace battery, Native support of library books and ADE content, and expandable memory are significant advantages. Some would even include the "Lend Me" option as significant. My old Atari 2600 was probably a more reliable piece of hardware with better construction than an XBOX 360, but I would have a hard time convincing anyone to trade with me!

Last edited by Noah98; 06-30-2010 at 01:15 PM.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:43 AM   #15
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Good points all. But this analogy is especially spot on, and hit my guilt button. Gotta rethink my conversions.

Quote:
If you are going to do all that, you might as well just download a pirated copy of the book in a kindle supported format (I don't condone this).
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote