Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-11-2013, 10:20 AM   #61
deddajay
Cynical Pragmatist
deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle PW1 & PW2, Samsung Tab S7+
I can't believe no one has yet mentioned Katherine Kerr's Deverry Series. One of my all time favourite series.

Deverry
1. Daggerspell (1986)
2. Darkspell (1987)
3. The Bristling Wood (1989) aka Dawnspell: The Bristling Wood
4. The Dragon Revenant (1990) aka Dragonspell: The Southern Sea

Deverry: The Westlands
1. A Time of Exile (1991)
2. A Time of Omens (1992)
3. Days of Blood and Fire (1993) aka A Time of War
4. Days of Air and Darkness (1994) aka A Time of Justice

Deverry: The Dragon Mage
1. The Red Wyvern (1997)
2. The Black Raven (1998)
3. The Fire Dragon (2000)

Deverry: The Silver Wyrm
1. The Gold Falcon (2006)
2. The Spirit Stone (2007)
3. The Shadow Isle (2008)
4. The Silver Mage (2009)

Enjoy
deddajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:57 AM   #62
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
I finished the last book in Robin Hobb's: Rain Wild Chronicles. It was a good read (I think it would have been better if I had waited for all books to be released before I started). Now that all books in the series are released I can more easily recommend it.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2013, 06:32 AM   #63
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyche View Post
Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman have quite a few series.

The 2 Dragonlace trilogies (plus lots of others), War of Souls series, possible the Sovereign Stone series.
The Dragonlance Chronicles should definitely give you your fix of dragons, and it is a relatively easy read (And a personal favorite). Legends you can skip if you only want dragons - While being an exceptionally good trilogy, it doesn't actually have any dragons in it. The Chaos War which follows, does have more dragons (Lave dragons!).
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:59 PM   #64
jviscosi
Connoisseur
jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Focus, Nook Glowlight 4/4+, Inkbook Obsidian, Kindle Keyboard
"Dragon Stones" Pricing

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
I just finished reading Dragon Stones by James Viscosi... if you're looking for something in a single book rather than a series, this is a great read. The story is very well done, told from five different viewpoints, interesting characters.

Amazon has a very good price for this book (around $3). The author's blog links to lulu where the epub costs three times as much, which I wasn't willing to spend on an unknown-to-me author. Couldn't find any epub source in Amazon's price range. Oh well.
Sorry to be so late noticing this post, but it reminded me that I've been rather neglectful of other e-book sources since the Kindle editions took off. I went back to Lulu, discovered that they've changed their minimum e-book pricing model, and revised all the books whose prices I control down to $2.99 to match Amazon. Thanks for pointing out the price discrepancy!
jviscosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:19 AM   #65
elcartero227
elcartero227 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassanik View Post
Okay I am in the mood for some books about dragons.

Anne McCaffrey is a old fav of mine, I have also read Mercedes Lackey, Donita Paul, Patricia Briggs, and some others.

Anyone have some suggestions for some good dragon stories? Hopefully by authors that I have not read yet?

Amy
If you like dragon story with action and magic, then I suggest you read the Inheritence cycle by Christopher Paolini... the books in the cycle are -
- Eragon
- Eldest
- Brisinger
- Inheritance.
I hope you'll love these, I know I do, read each one twice and still feel like can read for the third time.
elcartero227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2013, 02:09 PM   #66
Dhevi
Zealot
Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Galaxy S3, Nexus 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcartero227 View Post
If you like dragon story with action and magic, then I suggest you read the Inheritence cycle by Christopher Paolini... the books in the cycle are -
- Eragon
- Eldest
- Brisinger
- Inheritance.
I hope you'll love these, I know I do, read each one twice and still feel like can read for the third time.
I've actually been meaning to read the novels. I've been told the movie did not really give a good impression of the book.
Dhevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:59 PM   #67
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhevi View Post
I've actually been meaning to read the novels. I've been told the movie did not really give a good impression of the book.
That's okay, the book didn't really give a good impression, either.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:38 PM   #68
jineapple
Enthusiast
jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Eragon is a good read, but nothing great either imo.

It might have been mentioned already, but I recommend "Tooth and Claw" by Jo Walton. It focuses on dragons and *only* dragons - they are the inhabitants and protagonists. I've found it it quite entertaining and it's quite unique.
jineapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:07 AM   #69
elcartero227
elcartero227 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhevi View Post
in my opinion, most of the times, movies are different from the novel and the story line is often changed. So, if you didn't like eragon movie, you should atleast try the book. Though I liked both movie and the book, but the book was more logical to understand the events happening in the book, like the battle between eragon and the shade Durza, Raz'ac etc.
elcartero227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:56 AM   #70
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Thanks everyone for the great recs! I've been looking for some new (to me) authors and this is perfect.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:57 PM   #71
Mel-
Mel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Glo
Perhaps Seraphina from Rachel Hartman!
Mel- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:22 PM   #72
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
If (longish) short stories are fine, I recommend the "Dragons" anthology, published as ebook by Baen Ebooks.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:44 PM   #73
Rhialto
Enthusiast
Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Dragonsbane by Barbara Hambly.

Rhialto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:22 AM   #74
abeaty
Enthusiast
abeaty began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperweight
Any updated recommendations?
abeaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:35 PM   #75
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Tea with the Black Dragon by R. A. MacAvoy is charming as is Twisting the Rope.
Bazil Broketail series is nice, but no ebooks yet.

I have read some other really good ones but cannot remember the names.
They will come back to me probably.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote