Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-30-2009, 09:15 PM   #1
jerrry94087
Enthusiast
jerrry94087 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Touch
Can Kindle account be inherited? (hypothetical question)

While thinking about how Kindle works, this situation came to my mind: what if the account owner dies?

In case of the regular books they will become a part of an estate.

What about Kindle books? Will heirs be able to inherit them and just use them like the original owner? Or the access to the account will cease as the password vanishes in the deceased parson's head?
jerrry94087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:38 PM   #2
paperwastage
Groupie
paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.

Device: kindle DX Graphite
if you read the terms of the kindle and ebook license, the account hold licenses to the ebooks you've bought... i'm sure amazon should be able to transfer ownership of the account to someone else with the presence of a death certificate, assuming the original owner registered properly... but you never know...

why this strange question?
paperwastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2009, 10:44 PM   #3
jerrry94087
Enthusiast
jerrry94087 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperwastage View Post
why this strange question?
I have a penchant for strange, odd questions.
jerrry94087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:45 PM   #4
coolbreeze
Addict
coolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with others

Device: Nook Color, White 3G K3
This reminds me of those online companies that are claiming to be a "will" for your electronic life. Everyone has email, facebook, etc, etc, accounts. If you die, who has the rights and/or access to that information?

It's going to be an interesting development in the near future. I say just put the info (passwords, etc) in your will, but that sounds too simple, now doesn't it?

Of course many companies are seeing the potential green and profit off of ensuring your "digital lifestyle" is protected. Lol, just use your will and hope these shady companies go out of business.
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:16 AM   #5
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
I don't see why this should be any different from any other kind of inheritance.

When you die, your property goes into your estate. Eventually, the estate gets distributed among the beneficiaries -- whether those specified in your will, or, if you didn't make a will, according to the law in the relevant state or country. It doesn't matter what Amazon or anyone else write in their terms and conditions. They can't override the rights of the beneficiaries.

Of course, they'll be practical difficulties, like the question of passwords. But those don't affect the legal situation.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2009, 11:06 AM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrry94087 View Post
I have a penchant for strange, odd questions.
You could always send an email to CS kindle support........It would be interesting to post the answer.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 05:44 PM   #7
paperwastage
Groupie
paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.

Device: kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
I don't see why this should be any different from any other kind of inheritance.

When you die, your property goes into your estate. Eventually, the estate gets distributed among the beneficiaries -- whether those specified in your will, or, if you didn't make a will, according to the law in the relevant state or country. It doesn't matter what Amazon or anyone else write in their terms and conditions. They can't override the rights of the beneficiaries.

Of course, they'll be practical difficulties, like the question of passwords. But those don't affect the legal situation.
that's why i have a list of (important) online accounts and passwords in my safety deposit box
paperwastage is offline   Reply With Quote