Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-08-2008, 01:21 PM   #1
dogsballs
Zealot
dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony psr-505
more kindle help

my sisters new kindle seems to be broken i mean it wont charge either by mains or usb. now she is in the uk so sending it back is not really an option.
i have tried the reset button on the back but nothing, the charge light is not showing, i do notice that the usb connection is still slighty showing which suggests the last thing which happened was she had it connected to her pc.
she may or may not have disconnected the kindle without actually going through the disconnect routine for connected mass storage devices.
could she have a dude battery and where can she get another or is this something more serious
any help welcome
dogsballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 01:55 PM   #2
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsballs View Post
my sisters new kindle seems to be broken i mean it wont charge either by mains or usb. now she is in the uk so sending it back is not really an option.
i have tried the reset button on the back but nothing, the charge light is not showing, i do notice that the usb connection is still slighty showing which suggests the last thing which happened was she had it connected to her pc.
she may or may not have disconnected the kindle without actually going through the disconnect routine for connected mass storage devices.
could she have a dude battery and where can she get another or is this something more serious
any help welcome
I have had a problem in the past resetting. The procedure that finally worked for me was to turn off the switch on my Kindle, then turn it back on and use a toothpick to press the reset hole under the back cover. I then waited about a minute and switched it off and then on again and it worked.

Hope this helps!
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2008, 02:04 PM   #3
dogsballs
Zealot
dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

tried that but get no responce any other suggestions
Old 09-08-2008, 02:26 PM   #4
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Not charging could very well be the battery. You might want to get another battery and try it.

I have seen credible reports that the Kindle doesn't charge from the USB port. I can't vouch for that, but you might want to discount that symptom. If you ignore the USB not charging, then it could also be a defective charger/adaptor.

Impress upon your sister that she has to go through the disconnect routine. I've had info get scrambled by not doing that (although not on the Kindle).
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 02:33 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
tried that but get no responce any other suggestions
Take the battery out for about 30 seconds, then put it back in... then turn on the device. This should force it to reset. If that doesn't work sounds like a bad battery.

Can she use it while it is plugged in?

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 09-08-2008 at 02:45 PM.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2008, 02:41 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
From a google search it seems that dead Kindle batteries are more common that I expected. One thing I saw suggested was to remove and re-insert the existing battery.

If it is the charger (I don't know if the Kindle should work from the mains with a dead beattery or not), then Amazon UK sells (3rd party) replacements - just search for "amazon kindle" on amazon's UK web site.

Amazon sells replacement batteries, but only in the US.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 02:44 PM   #7
bwit
Huh?
bwit doesn't litterbwit doesn't litterbwit doesn't litter

Device: Amazon Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMikeD View Post
I have seen credible reports that the Kindle doesn't charge from the USB port.
This is pretty much true. The Kindle will charge via USB if it is turned off but, even then, the charge cycle is very slow. When the Kindle is turned on, even when asleep, it apparently pulls more current than the USB provides so it can never charge via USB while on.

Regards,
Bob
bwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 02:52 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
As bwit says, it might be possible to use USB for (slow) charging, see Kindle USB.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 03:14 PM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
If you can get a hold of a Palm Zire USB cable, that will charge the Kindle in about the same amount of time as the wall charger without turning the Kindle off. I first learned of it from TallMomof2 and I've tested this personally. I was able to find a cable for about $5 on eBay. You could probably find one in the U.K, just as easily.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 04:35 PM   #10
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I found that the reset did not work consistently unless I performed the reset while the Kindle was plugged to the main. Check out this YouTube video about a frozen Kindle.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 04:45 PM   #11
Ceili
well, that didn't work
Ceili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheeseCeili can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle
Just in case it's a plug/power issue, plug the cord into the kindle and make sure the charging light not only comes on, but stays on once you put it down. It looks like it becomes loose after awhile and sometimes plugging it in does not start the charging process.

Good luck!
Ceili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 04:49 PM   #12
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
I've had a few heart-stop moments early on with mine, but it has always come back to life.

A couple of things -- it can take a while from plugging the charger in to get enough power into the battery and system to allow the CPU to wake up and turn on the LED. Daft, but it is a common situation where the LED is controlled by the CPU, so it takes time to get the LED to come on.

Secondly, I use a "shaver" adapter to plug the charger into a UK plug. Those I have all have fuses. And the fuse had blown on a couple of occasions. (I'm sure you can imagine my incredibly stupid embarassment...).

I'm not convinced that the USB is able to provide enough power to do anything other than trickle maintenance of the battery. I avoid using it when possible (even when I know the USB can provide a much higher current).
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:16 AM   #13
dogsballs
Zealot

thank you all for the great advice. she was using a shaver adaptor (with fuse )to charge the kindle and guess what the fuse has blown just as lazyscot suggests it uses a 1 amp fuse so will have to get one today and go from there. I am surprised about the usb charging capabilities of the kindle or lack of
Old 09-09-2008, 06:43 AM   #14
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
I am surprised about the usb charging capabilities of the kindle or lack of
Well, I don't think Amazon claims the Kindle will charge from the USB cable.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 06:45 AM   #15
dogsballs
Zealot

small update it was the fuse. man in the electrical store seems to think a 1amp fuse was insuficiant for my needs so recomended a 2 amp one. kindle now charging fine, thanks again

Tags
duck!