Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-12-2012, 11:25 PM   #1
DarrellAtKobo
Kobo Customer Care
DarrellAtKobo can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.DarrellAtKobo can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.DarrellAtKobo can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.DarrellAtKobo can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.DarrellAtKobo can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.DarrellAtKobo can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.DarrellAtKobo can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.DarrellAtKobo can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.DarrellAtKobo can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.DarrellAtKobo can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.DarrellAtKobo can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.

Device: Kobo Vox
Why can’t I complete the Kobo Touch firmware upgrade or Desktop upgrade?

Dear Kobo Customers,

Recently we released the latest versions of Kobo Touch Firmware 3.0 and Kobo Desktop 2.0. While the majority of our customers have successfully updated both versions we’ve had some reports that not everyone is up and running yet. To fix the issue, our team has put the new upgrade process on hold, we will reinstate it as soon as possible, when we have solved these issues.

We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused and appreciate your patience and understanding while we resolve this. In the meantime, you can revert to the previous software version with the workarounds below:

Issue 1: After the upgrade process, my Kobo Touch has frozen on the start-up screen (scrolling squares).

Workaround:

A quick note around large libraries: Some customers with very large libraries may experience the start-up screen for a longer period of time as the software updates the eReader database in the background. This process may take up to 15 minutes.

If after this time period, the eReader remains frozen on this screen, please try the following steps in sequence to restore the responsiveness and previous version of your firmware.

1) Power off the device (Push the power switch to the right for at least 30 seconds, then release), if it powers off, turn it back on to restore responsiveness.
2) If it does not power off, try a Basic Reset, otherwise called a PIN reset or paperclip reset

If neither method above restores your eReader, perform a factory reset (only used when the power switch on an eReader is unresponsive) Note; you will need an unfolded paperclip.

3) Press and hold the silver “Home” on the front of the eReader below the screen
4) While holding the “Home” button, Turn it over and locate the small hole on the back.
5) Slide one end of the paperclip into the hole.
6) Press gently until you feel a click.
7) Restart your eReader.
8) Connect your eReader to your computer and Kobo desktop
9) Sync your eReader using Kobo desktop
10) The previous version of your firmware should be restored

If you have tried the steps above and are still experiencing issues, please contact us at KOBOExecutiveCare@kobo.com

Issue 2: Desktop Upgrade is cycling or is not responding and I am unable to continue with the install.

We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused and appreciate your patience and understanding while we resolve this. We are working on a new version of Kobo desktop, which will fix this isolated issue, and we will make it available as soon as possible.

Sincerely,
The Kobo Team
DarrellAtKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:08 AM   #2
RickyB
Enthusiast
RickyB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RickyB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RickyB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrellAtKobo View Post
Dear Kobo Customers,

8) Connect your eReader to your computer and Kobo desktop
9) Sync your eReader using Kobo desktop
10) The previous version of your firmware should be restored
As soon as you do step 9, it downloads and installs version 2.0 without any prompts, and you're back to the scrolling squares. These were the precise steps Kobo support stepped me through to no avail.
RickyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2012, 12:54 AM   #3
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Issue 1: After the upgrade process, my Kobo Touch has frozen on the start-up screen (scrolling squares).
If after this time period, the eReader remains frozen on this screen,
First off, thanks for giving us some information about the reset problems.

That being said, by the term 'frozen' in your post:
  • do you mean where the Dancing Squares are dancing (screen is updating)?
  • or where the Dancing Squares screen is not changing at all (stopped in mid-dance)?
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:07 AM   #4
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
2) If it does not power off, try a Basic Reset, otherwise called a PIN reset or paperclip reset
And, could you please post the instructions on how to do a PIN or paperclip reset.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:10 AM   #5
murg
No Comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
And, could you please post the instructions on how to do a PIN or paperclip reset.
Or is this the 'basic reset' in the Questions section of the Kobo website?
  1. If possible, turn your eReader off.
  2. Turn it over and locate the small hole on the back.
  3. Unfold a paperclip and slide an end into the hole.
  4. Press gently until you feel a click.
  5. Your eReader should restart.
Advert
Old 07-13-2012, 01:16 AM   #6
murg
No Comment

Quote:
7) Restart your eReader.
How do we know the eReader has been restarted:
  • When we get dancing squares?
  • When we get a normal main page?
Which leads into: When do we 8) Connect your eReader to your computer and Kobo desktop ?
Old 07-13-2012, 06:54 AM   #7
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
I found even doing a PIN reset didn't work last week when resetting a KT.

I eventually DID get it to restart by plugging the KT into a charger and it immediately restarted, as I had already previously attempted the PIN reset minutes before, so I assume it picked it up when I plugged it in.
I would add the KT WAS nearly fully recharged anyway, so it wasn't like there was a battery charge issue.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:30 AM   #8
TongueTied
Zealot
TongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Darrell,
Thank you so much for making a statement and putting us at easy knowing that Kobo acknowledges the issue exists and is doing something about it. Also, thank you for putting 1.9.17 back into the update process so those of us affected can now get our KT working again while you work on a solution.

@danskmacabre
If you have trouble getting your KT to do a factory reset via the PIN method (I found it didn't work. All it did for me was to cause a soft reset), try turning your KT off by holding the On slider to the right for 10 to 15 seconds. release it. Hold the Home button down while you turn your KT on. Once you see some lights flashing on the LED beside the on slider, let go of the Home button. Your KT should now do a full factory reset. This will wipe everything off your KT and you will need to sync it again in order to get your library back onto the KT. Now that Kobo have brought 1.9.17 back, your KT should update to 1.9.17 and you will be back in business again.
TongueTied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:35 AM   #9
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by TongueTied View Post
@danskmacabre
If you have trouble getting your KT to do a factory reset via the PIN method (I found it didn't work. All it did for me was to cause a soft reset), try turning your KT off by holding the On slider to the right for 10 to 15 seconds. release it. Hold the Home button down while you turn your KT on. Once you see some lights flashing on the LED beside the on slider, let go of the Home button. Your KT should now do a full factory reset. This will wipe everything off your KT and you will need to sync it again in order to get your library back onto the KT. Now that Kobo have brought 1.9.17 back, your KT should update to 1.9.17 and you will be back in business again.
Thanks for the reply, but this was a week or so with an unrelated issue on another KT.
I tried what you suggested already, it was completely frozen until I physically connected it to a charger.
My KT updated fine to 2.0.0.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:04 AM   #10
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Or is this the 'basic reset' in the Questions section of the Kobo website?
  1. If possible, turn your eReader off.
  2. Turn it over and locate the small hole on the back.
  3. Unfold a paperclip and slide an end into the hole.
  4. Press gently until you feel a click.
  5. Your eReader should restart.
Not wishing to tread on Darrell's toes, but I would say that this is indeed the same as the "basic reset" as mentioned on the website.
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:32 AM   #11
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyB View Post
As soon as you do step 9, it downloads and installs version 2.0 without any prompts, and you're back to the scrolling squares. These were the precise steps Kobo support stepped me through to no avail.
I believe they have temporarily stopped pushing the 2.0.0 update, so if you haven't tried this today it will probably take you back to 1.17 rather than 2.0.0 if you do it now.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:17 PM   #12
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
I believe they have temporarily stopped pushing the 2.0.0 update, so if you haven't tried this today it will probably take you back to 1.17 rather than 2.0.0 if you do it now.
Correct, SameerH confirmed this is another thread.
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:22 PM   #13
murg
No Comment

In fact, Darrell said this, but it's buried at the end of the first paragraph. I missed it the first time around.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:36 AM   #14
icu2icu2
icu2icu2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
My Kobo froze after downloading the update. To get is working again I did a factory reset as described on the Kobo website (hold the home button and push a paperclip into the reset button on the back - mine reset after the third of fourth attempt). This brought life back to the eReader but when the books came back I couldn't get past the cover page so I did another factory reset from the eReader (Touch 'Home' on the home page, settings, device information, factory reset). While the eReader was doing the reset I uninstalled Kobo from my computer, restarted the computer & then reinstalled Kobo (as if it was a first time install). When I signed into my Kobo account all the books I'd bought came back. Also, I had to put my wireless network details back into the eReader & re-authorise Adobe Digital Editions.

Last edited by icu2icu2; 07-15-2012 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Forgot about Adobe
icu2icu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:40 PM   #15
GvilleBridge
Connoisseur
GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Tablet
The Kobo website has revised the help answer as posted above at #1 by DarrellAtKobo. FWIW the answer at http://kobo.intelliresponse.com/inde..._utmk=69332690 now reads:

You asked: "firmware 2.0".
We matched that to:
Why can't I complete the Kobo Touch firmware upgrade or Desktop upgrade?

Upgrade for Kobo Touch and Kobo Desktop

You may have recently tried to download an upgrade for Kobo Touch (version 2.0) or Kobo Desktop (version 3.0). If you’ve experienced a problem with this upgrade, we apologize.

If you did experience a problem, the steps below will bring your eReader back to normal. You must complete all the steps to make sure the problem is completely fixed.

Note: These steps are also required if you got the message 'Oops... I cannot open' when opening a book.

STEP 1: First uninstall and reinstall Kobo Desktop. You can download a new version of Kobo Desktop by visiting http:/www.kobo.com/desktop.

How to uninstall Kobo Desktop [see pull-down text at Kobo]
How to reinstall Kobo Desktop [ditto]

STEP 2: Now do a factory reset. Note, a factory reset will return your eReader to its original settings. You'll have to sync with Kobo Desktop again after the reset to get your books. You'll need an unfolded paperclip to do a factory reset.

To do a factory reset:
  1. While pressing and holding the Home button, turn your eReader over and locate the small hole on the back.
  2. Slide one end of the paperclip into the hole.
  3. Press gently until you feel a click. Don't release the Home button yet. You'll see a flashing light next to the power button.
  4. Remove the paperclip.
  5. When your eReader says "Restoring..." let go of the Home button.
  6. Connect your eReader to your computer using your USB cable.
  7. Open Kobo Desktop, and sync your eReader.

If you're still experiencing a problem, please contact Customer Care.
GvilleBridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
customer care, customer service, customer support, firmware update, kobo touch