Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-04-2011, 11:08 AM   #271
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I guess I don't understand the nature of the tradeoff between less eInk flash and clarity. On my Nook STR it doesn't seem to matter (or I don't notice) whether it is page #1 or page #6 - they look equally clear/unclear. And forcing refresh with n/n doesn't make it clearer (though that tends to fix ghosting).
It's all about ghosting. The flash-to-black refresh resets the pixels to all-black and then all-white. Each incremental pixel change between refreshes on the e-ink screen is slightly imperfect, which means that black text removed by a page turn leaves behind a faint ghost of not-quite-white that tends to build up with multiple page turns. You can most easily see the ghosting in an area that's empty on the current page, but had text on the previous page. Also an image removed by a page turn tends to leave behind a slightly fainter region of not-quite-black text on the next page. I don't find it too noticeable at the 6-page refresh interval, and the less obtrusive page turn is nicer, so I think they made a good trade-off.

Last edited by FJames; 07-04-2011 at 11:10 AM.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:28 AM   #272
ST-One
Addict
ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Icarus8, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayB View Post
The hyphenation on the Nook STR was crazy. On one page in those screenshots posted by Scion I counted 8 hyphens. I would rather have a slightly ragged edge than a million hyphens.
Eight?
Wow.
Give my hyphens over over an unjustified looking justified text any time of the day.
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2011, 12:57 PM   #273
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by baronrus View Post
It may also be worth mentioning here that if you are unhappy with any of the 7 installed fonts on the Kobo you can add any TTF or OTF that you want. That means that you can have any font you want as light or as bold as you want. You are not locked in to the ones that come with the device
I don't have a Nook STR, but I do have a Kobo Touch and a Sony 350. Here are some sample images of both using the Sony 350's standard font and Segoi UI Bold on both. For the Kobo Touch you only need to sideload a font then select it. There is no modification necessary to the ePub or the Kobo other than adding the font in the fonts folder. For the Sony however, you have to load a font then either modify the ePub to use your custom font or use PRS+ and go through a one time modification. Either is time consuming and beyond the capability of the average eBook reader who is far below our level of techie-ness!

To sum up, it is ridiculously easy to change fonts on the Kobo Touch (and I assume the Nook STR too) but a major pain with the Sony Readers, although both or capable of allowing custom (sideloaded fonts). With the Kobo Touch sideloaded fonts are a FEATURE whereas they are only achieved on the Sony by performing a hack or two.

Hopefully these photos can help you judge the font capabilities of the Kobo Touch.

Here are the photos:
  • Sony and Kobo compared with standard Sony font
  • Sony and Kobo compared with both using Segoi UI Bold
  • Kobo Touch with Segoi UI Bold
  • Sony 350 with standard Sony font
  • Sony 350 with Segoi UI Bold

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kobo-Sony-compared.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	641.6 KB
ID:	73849   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kobo-Sony-comparison2.JPG
Views:	305
Size:	578.9 KB
ID:	73850   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kobo-Segoi-UI-Bold.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	335.3 KB
ID:	73851   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sony-350-standard.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	343.7 KB
ID:	73852   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sony-350-Segoi-UI.JPG
Views:	298
Size:	344.2 KB
ID:	73853  

Last edited by jswinden; 07-05-2011 at 01:02 PM.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:36 PM   #274
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
You can't add any fonts to the NOOK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post

To sum up, it is ridiculously easy to change fonts on the Kobo Touch (and I assume the Nook STR too) ...
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:38 PM   #275
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
You can't add any fonts to the NOOK.
Ouch. That means the Nook probably will never see that function as B&N doesn't seem to listen much to customer requests for fixes and features. Hopefully there is a hack that will work for them.
Advert
Old 07-05-2011, 04:05 PM   #276
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
If I buy a backup reader for my 950 it will probably be the Kobo.

The hyphenation on the Nook STR was crazy. On one page in those screenshots posted by Scion I counted 8 hyphens. I would rather have a slightly ragged edge than a million hyphens.

My 950 has very few hyphens per page.
Doesn't font size, line spacing and margin's have more to do with hyphens than anything else?

For example on my nook color an ePub "Under The Dome" I'm using the second to the smallest font size. , the smallest line space and the smallest margin settings and I get little to no hypens. but if I increase the margins setting I will see more hyphens being used.
so It seems your setting plays a large factor. And I would assume you would see similiar results no matter what ereader you use.

Last edited by boswd; 07-05-2011 at 04:12 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:37 PM   #277
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
If I buy a backup reader for my 950 it will probably be the Kobo.

My 950 has very few hyphens per page.
Your 950 does not add any hyphens and any hyphenation you get is due to the hyphen happening to land at the end of the line.

I actually prefer the hyphenation as it gives us less large spaces between words. Sometimes you can get a lot of hyphens in printed books.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:46 PM   #278
rahulm
Zealot
rahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: None
Got my Nook Touch a day ago, and so far I'm loving it.

The default fonts are very dark and clear, and I'm more than satisfied.
rahulm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:55 PM   #279
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulm View Post
Got my Nook Touch a day ago, and so far I'm loving it.

The default fonts are very dark and clear, and I'm more than satisfied.
Enjoy it. It's a great device for the price. The longer you've been exposed to these gadgets the more critiquing you tend to do. Glad you were able to filter through all the negative sentiments in this thread and make a satisfying purchase.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:57 PM   #280
rahulm
Zealot
rahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Enjoy it. It's a great device for the price. The longer you've been exposed to these gadgets the more critiquing you tend to do. Glad you were able to filter through all the negative sentiments in this thread and make a satisfying purchase.
It's been a long-time coming too.

Every year, when the new generation devices are released, I contemplate upgrading from my PRS505. And every year, I find a reason to "wait for the next ones".

So, this time, I said screw it and I just pulled the trigger. I absolutely love the form factor of the Nook Touch, and others may disagree, but the physical page turn buttons are of paramount importance to me.
rahulm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:30 AM   #281
JayB
Enthusiast
JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-950 PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Your 950 does not add any hyphens and any hyphenation you get is due to the hyphen happening to land at the end of the line.

I actually prefer the hyphenation as it gives us less large spaces between words. Sometimes you can get a lot of hyphens in printed books.
I experimented with this on my 950 and changing font size and using margin cut did not appear to add any additional hyphens.

You are right about printed books I just looked in a paperback and there were quite a few of them. It's been awhile since I've read a paper book. It's strange how there are so few of them on my 950.

Even in those screenshots Scion was nice enough to post look how the Kobo has hardly any hyphens then look at the Nook there are a lot.

I watched a YouTube review comparing the two and he also mentioned the hyphenation difference between the two readers.

In reality it is probably something you would just get used to like I did with paperbacks.
JayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:05 PM   #282
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It's because B&N is using a newer version of ADE then Sony & Kobo. And hyphenation is one new feature. I'm hoping Sony uses a newer ADE in October.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:08 PM   #283
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
Doesn't font size, line spacing and margin's have more to do with hyphens than anything else?

For example on my nook color an ePub "Under The Dome" I'm using the second to the smallest font size. , the smallest line space and the smallest margin settings and I get little to no hypens. but if I increase the margins setting I will see more hyphens being used.
so It seems your setting plays a large factor. And I would assume you would see similiar results no matter what ereader you use.
The larger the text is in relation to line length, the more hyphenation is needed to achieve 'full' justification. At the sizes I use (2-4) the hyphenation is not so frequent as to be distracting. B&N should consider letting people turn it off for larger text sizes, however. And landscape reading mode would help improve justification also with or without hyphenation. A left justification option (without hyphenation) would be good also.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:11 PM   #284
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Ouch. That means the Nook probably will never see that function as B&N doesn't seem to listen much to customer requests for fixes and features. Hopefully there is a hack that will work for them.
Nook is easily rooted and I think it's possible to swap in your own fonts at that point. Personally all I need are couple of good typefaces, ideally optimized for the screen properties (like Kindle's).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:47 AM   #285
forchristmas
forchristmas began at the beginning.

Device: rooted nook color
I still like the button savior app for the occasional "how in the heck do I do back in this app" momment ;-)
forchristmas is offline   Reply With Quote