Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 02-21-2011, 11:17 PM   #1
shernandez
shernandez began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Turn down the backlight?

Is there an app (root'd nook) that can turn down the back light even more dim than is possible through the settings? Reading in bed even the most dim settings seems BRIGHT.
shernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:41 AM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
If you tap the middle of the screen while reading a book, a control panel pops up on the bottom. Hit the brightness icon and you can adjust the brightness level even lower than you can through the settings menu.

This feature was added to version 1.1.0
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2011, 10:45 AM   #3
deborahjeanne
Zealot
deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook Color. Kobo Touch (died 2014). Kobo Glo.
Also, change the background color to grey or sepia.
deborahjeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:07 PM   #4
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
I believe that he means even dimmer than the lowest setting available via stock brightness control, which I also find to be MUCH brighter than I'd use in many circumstances on other devices.

Now to rooted, IIRC I saw something about this in December/early January(maybe) on xda about an app(maybe quick settings or something similar) that would allow the brightness to be set lower than the stock control allows... Sorry that I can't be more specific but a search on xda for brightness might turn it up, but there are ALOT of posts there...
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:03 PM   #5
NoName
Zealot
NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, HTC Evo LTE
There's an app called Screen Filter that dims it even more. I can't remember what post it was, but some people were dimming too much - something about a dark closet to get it bright enoughto use. I don't remember if it was Screen Filter or some other program to dim the screen. Just remember not to go too dim.

Edit: here's the post about the dark closet.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=screen+filter

Last edited by NoName; 02-22-2011 at 01:07 PM.
NoName is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2011, 05:18 PM   #6
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoName View Post
There's an app called Screen Filter that dims it even more. I can't remember what post it was, but some people were dimming too much - something about a dark closet to get it bright enoughto use. I don't remember if it was Screen Filter or some other program to dim the screen. Just remember not to go too dim.

Edit: here's the post about the dark closet.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=screen+filter
AdjBrightness is the app that when lowered too low requires a "dark closet".
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:27 PM   #7
NoName
Zealot
NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, HTC Evo LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
AdjBrightness is the app that when lowered too low requires a "dark closet".
Thanks for clarifying which it was. All I know is after reading about dark closets, I never set ANYTHING too dark.
NoName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:33 AM   #8
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
If you use Cool Reader on your rooted Nook you can adjust the brightness up or down just by swiping up/down the left side of the screen. You can adjust it down to barely visible even in the dark.

I tried all the Android reading apps and think Cool Reader is by far the best. I love the tap zones that you can set to anything you want--it reminds me of the PB360 in flexibility.

-Marcy

Last edited by Marcy; 02-24-2011 at 12:46 AM.
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote