Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-19-2011, 09:16 PM   #1
gudrun45
Enthusiast
gudrun45 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS350
kindle for Mac - where are the files?

I don't have a kindle but I have the app for my mac. I "bought" a free book from amazon, and the app opened by itself and the book was in there. But, where is it stored on my hard drive? Spotlight can't find it.
Or does amazon not download anything at all and the computer will have to be connected to the Internet to read the book?
I'm confused!

Gudrun
gudrun45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:27 PM   #2
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
No. The book should be locally.It is downloaded initially and then read from your hard drive every time. It would consume too many resources if every time you read, the content or book is retrieved from Internet. At least, it works like that on Kindle for Android, Kindle for PC and my iPad I think. I don't own an iMac but It should be the same for your iMac too.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2011, 09:28 PM   #3
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
On a Mac, the Kindle books should be in Documents/My Kindle Content.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:34 PM   #4
gudrun45
Enthusiast
gudrun45 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
On a Mac, the Kindle books should be in Documents/My Kindle Content.
Thank you! They are there. I guess Spotlight couldn't find them because they aren't named after the books. Just some weird numbers and letters.

Gudrun
gudrun45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:40 PM   #5
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gudrun45 View Post
Thank you! They are there. I guess Spotlight couldn't find them because they aren't named after the books. Just some weird numbers and letters.

Gudrun
Yes, the numbers and letters are the Amazon Standard Identification Number (ASIN). If you view the Kindle book info on Amazon you'll see that number.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2011, 10:11 AM   #6
Steve62
Steve62 began at the beginning.

Hi there,
I'm struggling to find my Kindle for Mac files as I dont have a "My Kindle Content " Folder.
Anywhere else I should be looking?

TIA

Steve
Steve62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:47 AM   #7
jezebel
Fanatic
jezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: Kindle Fire (5th Gen), Nook Color
Hi Steve, the easiest way is this: open up any folder on your computer. There should be a column on the left. Look for the heading PLACES. Under there you should find Documents and click that. Then, look to right and see if the My Kindle Content folder is there.

If the Documents folder is not there, look for whatever you named your computer under PLACES (probably your name). There will be a little house icon next to it. If you click that, a bunch of folders will pop up on the right. Open Documents and look inside for the My Kindle Content folder
jezebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:57 AM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I'm struggling to find my Kindle for Mac files as I dont have a "My Kindle Content " Folder.
Anywhere else I should be looking?
On the newest K4Mac version, you can go to Kindle->Preferences->General and view/change your content folder. That should tell you where the files are currently.

Otherwise, find the ASIN number (from Amazon's website) for one of the ebooks you've purchased, and search for a file that is named like: "<ASIN NUMBER>_EBOK.prc" or "<ASIN NUMBER>_EBOK.azw"

For example, the file name for Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy would be: B003XT60E0_EBOK.prc or B003XT60E0_EBOK.azw.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:56 PM   #9
sirlansa
sirlansa began at the beginning.

Device: kindle for mac
None of the above works for me !!

My iMac is running 10.6.7
I have installed the Kindle for Mac V1.2.3 (latest one, I think)

I CANNOT find my downloaded Kindle books.
I've tried all the good ideas above, but Spotlight can't find:
1) any files with .azw extension
2) any folder named My Kindle files, under Documents or anywhere else
3) any filenames containing EBOK or the ASINs of the books I've bought!

Is it possible they are in a hidden folder? I remember such things from my Windows days!

Any further ideas will be really appreciated!
Sirlansa
sirlansa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:21 PM   #10
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirlansa View Post
My iMac is running 10.6.7
I have installed the Kindle for Mac V1.2.3 (latest one, I think)

Is it possible they are in a hidden folder? I remember such things from my Windows days!

Any further ideas will be really appreciated!
Sirlansa
Try sending the book directly to your Mac from Amazon's page-that should put the book into the My Kindle Files folder in Documents.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:46 PM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Did you forget to search for *.prc files like I mentioned above? How many Amazon books have you purchased? You could just be unlucky and they're all topaz books. *.azw1

Also, where does this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer
On the newest K4Mac version, you can go to Kindle->Preferences->General and view/change your content folder.
tell you your library is supposed to be?

And the folder name is "My Kindle Content" not "My Kindle files."

Does Spotlight only search user files? Perhaps use something that will search the entire drive for .azw, .prc .azw1.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:14 PM   #12
sirlansa
sirlansa began at the beginning.

Device: kindle for mac
Thanks all for the quick responses.

Yes, I did send several books directly from Amazon to the Mac (both free and purchased) and still none show up. There are probably ovr a dozen books altogether.

I have searched for .prc (there are none).
Also .azw1 (none)

I was looking for "My Kindle Content", just posted the name wrong. Sorry about that.

The idea of looking in Kindle/preferences/General seemed like a good one, but it shows ONLY registration information (registered user and date, with an opportunity to Deregister). What version of Kindle for Mac are you using? Mine's V1.2.3

Also, can anyone suggest a better search tool than Spotlight??

Sirlansa
sirlansa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:49 PM   #13
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
If you don't even have a My Kindle Content folder in your Documents folder, something is amiss. v1.2.3 is the latest version I have from the Mac App Store, as well.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:16 PM   #14
hopkinsenglish
Connoisseur
hopkinsenglish began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
I would uninstall your current K4Mac and then download the most updated version. I've been able to find my files via the suggestions already mentioned in this thread.
hopkinsenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:59 PM   #15
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirlansa View Post
Also, can anyone suggest a better search tool than Spotlight??
DevonTechonologies' free EasyFind, which is a front-end to some Unix utility whose name I forget. Rarely fails me, and the search parameters are more easily adjustable than Spotlight's.

Also, I think at some point some of the newer versions of K4Mac moved the books of new installs to either the home or system Library/Application Support/ folders, but I couldn't tell you for sure.

Probably the easiest way to find out is to install the newer 1.4 version, which now has dictionary lookup support and list view, alongside the option to explicitly set (and therefore see) where your K4Mac books are stored.

Hope this helps.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote