Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-30-2010, 10:50 AM   #1
Daephex
Licensed Raconteur
Daephex will become famous soon enoughDaephex will become famous soon enoughDaephex will become famous soon enoughDaephex will become famous soon enoughDaephex will become famous soon enoughDaephex will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3, Sony PRS-600, iPod Touch
syncing metadata

This is probably such a simple question that nobody bothered asking it before-- hence my difficulty finding an answer!

I've been cleaning up my library on Calibre, mostly just editing metadata to delete unnecessary tags or misspelled author names. I'm super-happy with it now. Then I realized that I need to get these changes to reflect in my Reader as well. How do I actually do this? I don't have to select everything and hit "send to device" do I? The program would spend all day converting my various files into e-pubs, etc... seems like a lot of trouble for syncing metadata! I'm sure I'm overlooking something obvious here. Help me out, please!

Thanks!
Daephex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:58 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Depends, if you put the files on your reader with a version of calibre greater than 0.7 all you need to do is goto preferences->add/save->sending to device and set metadata management to automatic. connect your reader and it will happen.

Otherwise, yes you have to delete and resend files.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2010, 11:09 AM   #3
Daephex
Licensed Raconteur
Daephex will become famous soon enoughDaephex will become famous soon enoughDaephex will become famous soon enoughDaephex will become famous soon enoughDaephex will become famous soon enoughDaephex will become famous soon enough

Wow... okaaaay. I hope this goes well!
Old 07-30-2010, 11:21 AM   #4
Daephex
Licensed Raconteur

Everything turned out great. Metadata is now squeaky clean. I also set that preference to automatically manage this from now on. Thanks, Kovid!
Old 11-20-2010, 11:41 AM   #5
Chrysanthemum
Enthusiast
Chrysanthemum began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2,
Should this also automatically update changes I make to the metadata, like adding book covers and descriptions? Because it is not doing this for me. I have version 0.7.29, and have a Sony PRS-300.
Chrysanthemum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2010, 02:14 PM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Book covers may well not be updated as strictly speaking it is not metadata, but other fields that are metadata should be. There has been discussion about updating the cover in ePub files as part of Send to Device if the cover can easily be identified. However the only foolproof way to get a cover updated is to run a conversion (even if it is ePub->ePub).
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 02:29 PM   #7
Chrysanthemum
Enthusiast
Chrysanthemum began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2,
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
However the only foolproof way to get a cover updated is to run a conversion (even if it is ePub->ePub).
Or just delete the book from the device and then resend it as I've been doing. I was hoping the covers I set would be included in the metadata that gets synced. Bummer.
Chrysanthemum is offline   Reply With Quote