Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-16-2014, 04:09 PM   #16
conan50
Fanatic
conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Thanks Helen.
conan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 04:20 PM   #17
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
welcome. Sent you a couple of karma.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 04:30 PM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
My PW is pretty full, and the only thing I've noticed as a result is that, as one would expect, global searches are slower. There's absolutely no difference in performance when actually reading a book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 04:42 PM   #19
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Have you used a device with a capacitive touchscreen before? It does take a definite "press" to register the contact, and it takes a bit of practice to figure out what works and what doesn't. If you deliberately and firmly tap the screen and it regularly doesn't register, your device may be faulty.
I agree about the touchscreen taking time to get used to. It's a whole different experience from the K3 (keyboard) Kindle.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 04:58 PM   #20
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
My PW is pretty full, and the only thing I've noticed as a result is that, as one would expect, global searches are slower. There's absolutely no difference in performance when actually reading a book.
I think the op said his actually ran out of memory? Might make a difference. I don't own a kindle and my mother's broke so I bought her a T3 because she admired mine when she borrowed it so I can't actually check.

Helen
Old 06-16-2014, 05:05 PM   #21
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I think the op said his actually ran out of memory? Might make a difference. I don't own a kindle and my mother's broke so I bought her a T3 because she admired mine when she borrowed it so I can't actually check.

Helen
How fast you run out of storage space depends on how big your average ebook file is. The bigger a given file the more storage space you lose that could be used to store others. Apps (such as games) take up a lot of space too.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 05:40 PM   #22
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
on my Kindle Touch.

Global search is an absolute hog, but the main functionality is not impacted.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:34 PM   #23
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
How fast you run out of storage space depends on how big your average ebook file is. The bigger a given file the more storage space you lose that could be used to store others. Apps (such as games) take up a lot of space too.
Hmmm... I sort of knew that although not sure where the average matters. Perhaps with smaller ebooks the overhead of assigning sectors wastes a lot. Still space is space and full is full regardless.

Have you actually run out of space or had less than 1 meg free space and had it still function normally? Just curious as it could happen like with the x50's

Helen
Old 06-17-2014, 04:36 AM   #24
leaston
Addict
leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
If you want huge storage + fast + responsive, a tablet is for you. No eink reader is as responsive as an iPad.
*Cough* Android *Cough*
leaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 12:29 PM   #25
conan50
Fanatic
conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I like Android, but I want a nice Android tablet, either a Samsung or Nexus. My Lenovo and Acer are OK, but getting long in the tooth with ICS.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:18 AM   #26
leaston
Addict
leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan50 View Post
I like Android, but I want a nice Android tablet, either a Samsung or Nexus. My Lenovo and Acer are OK, but getting long in the tooth with ICS.
Yes, my Transformer is on 4.0.3 and I'm beginning to notice just how many differences there are between it and 4.4.2 on my phone. May be time for a custom rom install.
leaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 03:04 PM   #27
conan50
Fanatic

I just ordered a cheap Acer 7 inch tablet to use with my two Chromecast TV's. ICS is hit-or-miss with the Chromecast. I have an Android phone on Jelly Bean and it works great with Chromecast, but needed a bigger screen.
BTW, after the Paperwhite making me mad enough to destroy it the other night, now it's working perfectly. Maybe some crazy intermittent problem, but I can't get it to freeze or act up now, so crossing my fingers it is going to behave.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:17 PM   #28
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan50 View Post
I just ordered a cheap Acer 7 inch tablet to use with my two Chromecast TV's. ICS is hit-or-miss with the Chromecast. I have an Android phone on Jelly Bean and it works great with Chromecast, but needed a bigger screen.
BTW, after the Paperwhite making me mad enough to destroy it the other night, now it's working perfectly. Maybe some crazy intermittent problem, but I can't get it to freeze or act up now, so crossing my fingers it is going to behave.
Maybe the memory chip is wonky.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:18 PM   #29
conan50
Fanatic

I hope whatever it was it has gotten over it :-) So far so good. It's out of warranty, not sure if customer service at Amazon would work something out with me, but usually they are pretty good on that front.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:15 PM   #30
kgn
Groupie
kgn has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Pocketbook 302
I recommend the Pocketbook Lux 2. Very good unit. As good as the Kobo Aura HD - and a lot better in many ways. Certainly better than the PW2.
kgn is offline   Reply With Quote