Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-13-2011, 02:40 PM   #1
barium
Connoisseur
barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: None
privacy related questions

Does the new eBook store search send any information to booksellers about you and the contents of your calibre library? (I mean beyond basic information necessary to complete a search, like the book title you enter and your IP address.) Is there a plan to grant booksellers or advertisers any sort of access to the contents of calibre libraries?

Also, on startup, calibre checks for updates and (I think) transmits your current version for storage and analysis. Does it collect any other information? [Edit: question was humorously answered in this thread; answer is an unequivocal no.]

Edit: After some searching, I see that the developers of calibre were offended by a recent question about this issue. I have the greatest respect for everyone who contributes to the project, and I do trust the application and developers. Still, I am curious and thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Last edited by barium; 05-13-2011 at 03:11 PM.
barium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:52 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
http://www.wireshark.org/ is your friend when you are trying to answer question like this.

But, I doubt there is any private info being sent. I doubt the start up even send your current version... it just asks the web site "what's the current version" and compares the response with the currently running version number.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 03:00 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
http://www.wireshark.org/ is your friend when you are trying to answer question like this.

But, I doubt there is any private info being sent. I doubt the start up even send your current version... it just asks the web site "what's the current version" and compares the response with the currently running version number.

BOb
It sends a Unique ID (see the Calibre stats page), No other Identifying info.
The stats just counts 'Starts' for each system.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 03:39 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre will never send any information about the books you read to anybody.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 03:50 PM   #5
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Get books: Only sends the search query. IP address is also sent but that's a given. It doesn't even send your OS to the store. Unless you happen to use Gentoo Linux ;-)

Personal info will never be collected, made accessible, or sold to anyone.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 03:54 PM   #6
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by barium View Post
Edit: After some searching, I see that the developers of calibre were offended by a recent question about this issue. I have the greatest respect for everyone who contributes to the project, and I do trust the application and developers. Still, I am curious and thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.
I don't think there was any offense to the question itself, it was more that accusations were made that something was being hidden. The code is open and you are free to ask. The collected statistics that I know about are public:

http://status.calibre-ebook.com/recipe_stats
http://status.calibre-ebook.com/

I completely agree that it's reasonable to ask what's being sent, what's being kept, etc.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 03:15 AM   #7
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
If you want to know what's being sent, have a look at the source.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote