Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-11-2010, 09:31 AM   #106
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoboNo View Post
SensualPoet, sabredog: it does not matter that some users may not use a feature. It does not matter that some feature may not be ideal for a given device. What matters is that if they promise something and not only promise it but market it prior to and during launch then it should be delivered to customers.

Some people bought the device thinking that in a few weeks, then a few months, then.. (some time in the future) there will be certain features available that were never delivered. To make things worse, their own reps, through these forums and through support have continuously said that these features are coming, yet have failed over and over. Their own Web pages said 'coming soon' for an entire summer.

This is my point. If you cannot see it, or don't understand it for whatever reason you may have, then you must understand why I concluded that you are either connected to Kobo or not a smart observer. You may not be using these features that were promised, but many were planning in doing so, and expect a company to be honest when selling a product. Is this wrong?

I am continuing to use my Kobo for reading e-books, and will continue to do so, but as this thread points out we do feel forgotten as another device has been released without the promises for our original Kobo coming. They've shifted thier focus from a device that we all supported from the start (and what defined their success) to a new device without so much as a concrete update to the original users.

From this point, Kobo has failed. Have they, other than complimenting themselves on their openness through their blog, tried to correct this? No. Is it not fair then to conclude, that yes, we have been forgotten?
First off, my guess would be that the vast - like 99.9% of the people who bought the original Kobo - had absolutely no interest doing anything other than reading text based books. So for them, the newspaper issue is just noise.

What people cared about was that the books that they loaded in, from anywhere, were readable and had scalable fonts. They cared about battery life. There were problems with these things, and they fixed them and pretty quickly too.

What you've consistently done in this thread is to accuse people of being dishonest. That's what calling someone a shill is, an accusation of dishonesty. For no other reason than you can't understand why someone would disagree with you.

You've repeatedly accused Kobo of being dishonest. You did that in the post I quoted above. I think you're wrong there. Here's what I think: Kobo honestly planned to implement those features when they started out. The launch in Canada surprised them by selling out in 3 days. Then Amazon not only slashed the prices on the Kindle a week or so after the US launch of the Kobo, they even came out with a stripped down model that undercut the Kobo price. Don't think it would reasonable to expect Kobo to have anticipated that.

So at some point, it became way more important to Kobo's survival to get a new model out on the market. Otherwise they were dead. So I can forgive them for concentrating on that. And the website did say, "Newspapers coming soon". And guess what? They did. But it's taken longer to get it sorted out for the original generation of devices.

I don't think they've ever lied to us. I think they've made mistakes. I think they've missed deadlines. But like John Lennon said, "Life is what happens when you're making plans".

But the truth is that the 1st gen readers have been perfectly good totally basic devices ever since they released that first firmware release. Perfect? No, but perfectly good for what they are.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:39 AM   #107
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
If it is SO important to read newspapers then you may want to look at Calibre, which does allow compilation of newspapers. These are compiled to ePUB and can then be downloaded to the Kobo,

HamsterRage is correct, 99.9% of Kobo owners read ebook novels on their device and not newspapers.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:45 AM   #108
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamsterRage View Post
First off, my guess would be that the vast - like 99.9% of the people who bought the original Kobo - had absolutely no interest doing anything other than reading text based books. So for them, the newspaper issue is just noise...

But the truth is that the 1st gen readers have been perfectly good totally basic devices ever since they released that first firmware release. Perfect? No, but perfectly good for what they are.
Will you at least admit that it doesn't do all it was advertised to do? Newspapers and proper blackberry bluetoothe support? Bluetoothe may not be an issue for you but it's one of the main reason I bought the Kobo instead of a Kindle. I liked the workaround they came up with for not having Wi-fi. But they didn't say it only supports certain blackberries. When I found that out I was planning to return it but they said not to worry they'd have it fixed 'soon'. Now after 6 months of waiting I've given up, but guess what? They won't let me return it because of the 30 day return policy.

Please don't throw out guesses like 99.9% because forgetting about the individuals is what got us here in the first place and the main reason for this thread. In not time 99.9% of Kobo users will be wi-fi kobo users and what kind of support do you think you'll get then?

Last edited by Duiker; 11-11-2010 at 09:48 AM.
Duiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:51 AM   #109
sabredog
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would recommend then, that if you primarily want to read newspapers then a device with a bigger screen (perhaps LCD) would be the way ahead for you.

Alternatively, try Calibre's newsprint option out.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:52 AM   #110
KoboNo
Connoisseur
KoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
First off, my guess would be that the vast - like 99.9% of the people who bought the original Kobo - had absolutely no interest doing anything other than reading text based books. So for them, the newspaper issue is just noise.
It does not matter that some users may not use a feature. It does not matter that some feature may not be ideal for a given device. What matters is that if they promise something and not only promise it but market it prior to and during launch then it should be delivered to customers.
KoboNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:58 AM   #111
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
I would recommend then, that if you primarily want to read newspapers then a device with a bigger screen (perhaps LCD) would be the way ahead for you.

Alternatively, try Calibre's newsprint option out.
I don't remember saying 'primarily' but I guess you have a knack for reading between the lines.
I love Calibre but it doesn't format the newspapers well on the Kobo. Besides that's not really the point is it? I want my newspapers from the people who sold me the device who told me they'd have them. I fully understand the pressure they are under to deliver a newer product but they whould have the decency to return my money if they can't deliver on what they promised. It's really as simple as that.

Last edited by Duiker; 11-11-2010 at 10:03 AM.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:27 AM   #112
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duiker View Post
Will you at least admit that it doesn't do all it was advertised to do?
It doesn't do all it was advertised to do.

I don't think that's a result of dishonesty. I don't think that what has happened in the marketplace, which I think has wrought havoc on Kobo's business plans, was anything that anyone could reasonably have expected them to have anticipated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duiker View Post
Please don't throw out guesses like 99.9% because forgetting about the individuals is what got us here in the first place and the main reason for this thread.
I'll throw out any guesses I want, thank you. But please note that I clearly stated it was just a guess.

My point all along has been to disagree with the TONE from Kobono, and what I consider to be the unreasonableness of his position.

I believe that he has implied (and pretty strongly) that Kobo deliberately screwed over us 1st Gen owners by advertising vapourware that they never had any intention of implementing and callously stringing us along ever since. He has consistently presented his interpretation of the events as undeniable, manifest "facts" and then insulted anyone who disagreed.

So while I totally agree that Kobo hasn't delivered everything they told us they would, I have three issues with Kobono's posts:

1. I don't agree with his characterization of Kobo's actions as dishonest. I just think that events overtook them and they've been doing their best to do their best.

2. I don't agree with insulting other list members and calling them stupid. I don't agree with insulting the intelligence of the rest of us by trying to convince us after the fact that those insults were just perfectly reasonable inferences about the intelligence and character of those list members based on the content of their posts.

3. The people that actually care about the substance of missing functionality can probably be counted without even taking off your mittens and shoes. If you're one of them, and if you are truly upset, then pick up the phone and call the Kobo people directly, get hold of a senior manager and explain your position. The vibe I get from them is that they'll try to do something to make you happy.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:38 AM   #113
Duiker
Addict

Quote:
It doesn't do all it was advertised to do.

3. The people that actually care about the substance of missing functionality can probably be counted without even taking off your mittens and shoes. If you're one of them, and if you are truly upset, then pick up the phone and call the Kobo people directly, get hold of a senior manager and explain your position. The vibe I get from them is that they'll try to do something to make you happy.
I agree with everything but point three. Up until now I've had great customer service from them, but the minute I said I want my money back because they won't deliver as promised I get the run around. I've been on the phone and sent at least 6 e-mails, with a firm but polite tone. I've given them a hard deadline to deal with this (which BTW is tomorrow) and still no one is responding. I've also been given incorrect info from their staff and made to feel like a fool because I challenged that information (that info being that firmware 1.7 is available for the original Kobo and has been since Oct.28). So yeah, I'm starting to get a little angry.

You know what? You've inspired me. I'm calling them again, right now.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:47 AM   #114
Duiker
Addict

Just got off the phone. The guy I spoke with was very nice but apparently they don't have extensions for anyone in the Level 2 support department, but someone will get back to me 'soon'. Now where have I heard that before?
Old 11-11-2010, 12:03 PM   #115
Wet Coast
Wet Coast began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Original & Wifi
This thread is becoming a little too heated. We are all allowed to contribute our experiences here, and I really don't see that Kobono and Duiker are being disrespectful in any way.

I was in their position not long ago, but in my previous post I reported my issue has been resolved. I hope their issue, which is the same as mine, will similarly be resolved - and by a deadline not "soon". It is not the Kobo reading experience with which we are disappointed, it is with the two key promises that were made to us prior to purchase that is unacceptable. For others who didn't buy the reader for those two promised features, well they got what they wanted and are very satisfied customers.

To give you an idea in the difference in service, my husband owns a Kindle 2. I gave it to him at Christmas, even though I though the idea of reading on an electronic device was weird. (My, my how I've come around). Last week, through no fault of the poor little Kindle, he dropped it and cracked the top left corner. Now that crack is a big gaping hole. I went on the Kindle website and placed an on line order for a service telephone call - which I received within two minutes. I asked for a repair, how much & how long, and was told by the agent that they would send out a replacement for the damaged unit - no cost. "Please let us know what the return shipping is so we can credit your account". I was astounded, it certainly wasn't Amazon's fault my husband dropped the Kindle but the agent was terribly sympathetic, understanding how "difficult it is when something happens to a customer's Kindle". Gosh, it was like someone in the family died.

If Kobo wants to keep making inroads into the e-reading business, and I hope they do, they need to look after their customers the same way they looked after me and the same way Kindle looked after my husband. I like my reader and I love the bookstore, I just wanted them to live up to the promises they made to me in April, and they have. Kobono, Duiker, and anyone else deserves the same.
Wet Coast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:11 PM   #116
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
This thread features some of the most blatant cases of 'fanboi-ism' i've come across.

That last post of KoboNo's was actually his/her best post of the issues to date i must say. I also agree with most of what was said.

Quote:
So bad luck for anyone purchasing with the view of having these features implemented soon after?
Err... ok.
It's a bit like buying a car and them telling you it doesn't have a stereo, but it will in two weeks only for you to still be waiting for your stereo now.

Quote:
You've repeatedly accused Kobo of being dishonest. You did that in the post I quoted above. I think you're wrong there. Here's what I think: Kobo honestly planned to implement those features when they started out. The launch in Canada surprised them by selling out in 3 days. Then Amazon not only slashed the prices on the Kindle a week or so after the US launch of the Kobo, they even came out with a stripped down model that undercut the Kobo price. Don't think it would reasonable to expect Kobo to have anticipated that.
So an overstretched business, poor planning and product competition is a valid excuse for not delivering? Really?
I'm about one step away from selling those cars without stereos!

Quote:
So at some point, it became way more important to Kobo's survival to get a new model out on the market. Otherwise they were dead. So I can forgive them for concentrating on that.
Well if you can then everyone else should fall into line. Step to people!!
I personally think it was poor form and i also think the new model is the barest of upgrades; i think the new model was a correction of their previous mistakes (like bluetooth implementation; whoever thought of that should punch themselves) and a slightly better screen.
It's a Kobo 1.5 at best. At worst it was what the 1st gen should've been and now that all their time and effort has been spent on the 'new' version, the 1st gen will be quickly left behind (read: upcoming firmware release will be the last).

Quote:
I don't think they've ever lied to us. I think they've made mistakes. I think they've missed deadlines.
Agreed
Can you understand how that would frustrate (or in the case of KoboNo, infuriate) some?

Quote:
Yep... would've been a lot better with the features that were '2 weeks away' as well.
Marketing and support fail on that front i'm afraid.

They're a perfectly good, cheap reader i suppose... if you want an eink 7" screen then you're set, as long as you don't want all of that 7" used by the book you're reading.
It is what it is; cheap.
You can praise, excuse and blindly-accept all you like but the fact is they cocked up with the first gen, they're cocking up with the second gen from what i'm reading on here and they're struggling to keep up.
Can i understand their problem? Of course.
Do i accept it as a valid excuse for a business providing a product and service? No.
Hire more people, do what it takes to sort your shit out... if you're going to expand into a industry (and a second device clearly indicates that they want to be a continuing force in the ereader and ebook world) then you have to risk an outlay at some point.
The small business defence is gone for them, because if they don't realise it they aren't just a small business anymore.
digital_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:28 PM   #117
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital_steve View Post
They're a perfectly good, cheap reader i suppose... if you want an eink 7" screen then you're set, as long as you don't want all of that 7" used by the book you're reading.
I believe the issue is that the space is wasted by how the PUBLISHER has formatted the book; NOT by how the Kobo has implemented display of it.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:06 PM   #118
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I believe the issue is that the space is wasted by how the PUBLISHER has formatted the book; NOT by how the Kobo has implemented display of it.
Most likely, although some ereaders have an option to cut the margins and expand the text to the edges of the reader... something that a device with 7" of space needs in my opinion.

Although when i suggested this as a firmware update possibility, i was told that i should edit things in Sigil, convert and pimp in Calibre and then put on the device... all requiring a DRM strip.
So you have the kobo software and or/ade to download the file, DRM strip, another program to edit, another program to clean up and transfer. All for the sake of using the devices real estate.

So the solution is either to lobby the publishers to do things right (i'll bet they'll listen), have a margin cut feature in the kobo firmware (i would've thought this was viable) or waste shedloads of time editing and hacking your books.

So yeah, in short, publishers to blame but the device is capable of a workaround.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:30 PM   #119
sabredog

Calibre is your friend when it comes to sorting out bad margin formatting. However DRM must be stripped first. For some ereader users that does become rather daunting to undertake.

Publishers put so many restrictions up in regards to ebook sales and then when the ebook is available it is often plagued with really bad formatting.

Totally annoying.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:11 PM   #120
digital_steve
Muppet

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Calibre is your friend when it comes to sorting out bad margin formatting. However DRM must be stripped first. For some ereader users that does become rather daunting to undertake.

Publishers put so many restrictions up in regards to ebook sales and then when the ebook is available it is often plagued with really bad formatting.

Totally annoying.
The multiple steps really are a killer and there's all and sundry to blame... but it can be worked around in firmware.

Lets face it, 90% (made up figure) of people aren't going to bother with the stripping, editing, converting needed... or even know about it. Those people are probably wondering why the hell the text doesn't cover the wonderful large screen... i know i did and it led me to this forum.