Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-23-2011, 11:42 PM   #1
caribbean_spur
Connoisseur
caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony daily edition 950
DRM error on reader but can open on PC :blink:

Hi,

I am a newbie in the world of reader. Here is my problem. If I download a book from the library directly from my T1 reader using Wi-Fi, no problem. But if I download it first to the pc as a .acsm, open it in ADE it works fine. Then I put the .epub file in my dropbox and then download it from dropbox using Wi-Fi on the reader, I get a content protected error.

I am not sure why I get the error, I can open the file .epub using ADE and Reader for PC but not on the reader. What am I doing wrong?
caribbean_spur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 04:07 AM   #2
Sunlite
Addict
Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KObo Clara, Kobo Aura, PRS-T1, PB602, CyBook Gen3
It's the most obvious question, but I will ask it just to be sure:

Are your reader and your pc activated with the same Adobe ID?

If not, you should be care full how you proceed. If you re-activate one of the devices with the Adobe Id of the other, you will lose the content of the then inactive Id.

If your devices use the same Adobe Id, take a look into the folder structure on the reader. On my reader there is a folder called some thing like 'Digital Edition'. The ADE version on my reader can only read DRM protected files that are in that folder. Maybe your dropbox download put your file in the wrong location on your reader.

If this don't work, I'm sure some forum members more knowledgeable about Sony devices will show up and make more suggestions.
Sunlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 09:35 AM   #3
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I agree that most likely you have authorized the reader to a different account as your computer. Is your Sony account the same email address and password as your Adobe account for your computer?

I use dropbox to transfer DRM'ed books frequently with no issues so that is probably not the issue.

Is it just this one book? I had a problem that a book was fine on my computer and older Sony models but got a protected error on my T1. Just like you describe! I never did figure out why. It was fixed for me when I installed the new firmware update. Have you done that? One of the things in the update list was it improved DRM compatibility although no one really knows what Sony specifically meant by that.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 03:45 PM   #4
caribbean_spur
Connoisseur
caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.caribbean_spur knows the square root of minus one.

Ok. I thought I just need to register to the sony store but I also need to register to ADE? Itried but ADE does not seem to detect the reader. I followed the wiki instructions so I installed sony reader for PC but still no detection frm ADE. What am I doing wrong?

And fyi I did authorized my pc so I am clear on that side (I hope)

Thsnks again for the help.
Old 12-26-2011, 12:27 AM   #5
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, you should need to register to the Sony store only. When you create a Sony account, it is also creating an Adobe account for you. That's why when you register to the Sony account it needs to be the same email address and password that you previously may have used to register your PC with ADE.

I have a Mac, and ADE doesn't recognize any Sony ereaders on a Mac. However, I think I may have read in other posts that ADE for PC does not recognize the T1 like it does the older Sony models.
Old 12-26-2011, 12:29 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
No, you should need to register to the Sony store only. When you create a Sony account, it is also creating an Adobe account for you. That's why when you register to the Sony account it needs to be the same email address and password that you previously may have used to register your PC with ADE.

I have a Mac, and ADE doesn't recognize any Sony ereaders on a Mac. However, I think I may have read in other posts that ADE for PC does not recognize the T1 like it does the older Sony models.
I know this is off-topic, but how would I get a Sony Reader (600) authorized for ADE using a MAC?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:45 AM   #7
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I know this is off-topic, but how would I get a Sony Reader (600) authorized for ADE using a MAC?
I think that the 300/600 series were the first that allowed you to register your Sony with Adobe via the Sony software only, and therefore you didn't need to install ADE on your Mac. Sorry, I had a 900 and not 300/600 and that's how the 900 worked as I recall.

When they introduced the EPUB firmware upgrade on the 505, I had to authorize my 505 with ADE for PC before it could be used with DRM'ed EPUBs on my Mac. Luckily I have my Mac setup so I can dual-boot in either Mac OS X or Windows XP. However many people didn't have this option, and it created a lot of confusion. There's a history lesson for you!
Old 12-26-2011, 10:53 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I think that the 300/600 series were the first that allowed you to register your Sony with Adobe via the Sony software only, and therefore you didn't need to install ADE on your Mac. Sorry, I had a 900 and not 300/600 and that's how the 900 worked as I recall.

When they introduced the EPUB firmware upgrade on the 505, I had to authorize my 505 with ADE for PC before it could be used with DRM'ed EPUBs on my Mac. Luckily I have my Mac setup so I can dual-boot in either Mac OS X or Windows XP. However many people didn't have this option, and it created a lot of confusion. There's a history lesson for you!
I would think the 900 & 600 are the same in terms of registering. So how do you register the 900 via the MAC version of Reader Library?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:14 AM   #9
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I would think the 900 & 600 are the same in terms of registering. So how do you register the 900 via the MAC version of Reader Library?
With the 900 you could register the device wirelessly with the bookstore rather than through Reader Library. Although you could also register it through the Sony software by connecting it to your computer via USB, opening the Sony software and answering the prompts to create an account. As I recall there were prompts about associating it with an existing Adobe account if you already had one and then whether you wanted to store the password in your Mac Keychain. It worked the same way as registrations with the X50 series and T1 do. Your Sony account creates an Adobe ID for you. I'm pretty sure registration on the PC matches the Mac in this regards. Here is the official explanation from the Sony Support FAQ's:

Quote:
How do I register with Adobe?

Adobe uses an ID to associate content with a particular customer's device. When you sign-in or register to Reader Store we will attempt to associate an Adobe ID with your Reader Store account. If a pre-existing account with Adobe is not found, the Reader Store will generate a new Adobe ID using your Reader Store login (email address) and password.

Note: Adobe passwords are limited to 12 characters - if you have an existing account with the Reader Store and your password is longer than 12 characters only the first 12 will be used for your Adobe password.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:33 PM   #10
bibahbuzemann
Addict
bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: PRS-T1
DRM sucks!

Apperently ADE is not compatible with the PRS-T1.

I had the same problem and I got so pi$$ed off at the DRM on my bought and payed for ebooks that I could have wished the publishers to rot in hell.

Instead I decided that that was the last straw and f*** them!

I simply removed the DRM, basta. Works like charm.

From now on I'm taking revenge for all the grief they've caused me with their DRM. If a book isn't availabe DRM free I'm gonna look for it in, let's call 'em "alternative", places on the net. THe sheer comprehensiveness of those alternative locations truly surprised me!

It's the publisher's own, stupid fault! They made me do it!

It's a shame for the authors too. If more people would put up a fight though, those dumb a** publishers would get rid of DRM in a jiffy.
bibahbuzemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:25 AM   #11
caribbean_spur
Connoisseur

Ok. Here is the situation: I had my PC authorized to ADE first. Now I have the same email address and password for the sony store and the adobe ID but I should specify that I had to change the sony store password to be the same as the adobe after I was told they had to be the same. I don't know if this is the problem but still I cannot get ADE to recognize my device.

This is silly! Why are they making this process so complicated. I am not sure what else I am supposed to be doing here!
Old 12-29-2011, 10:27 AM   #12
caribbean_spur
Connoisseur

Also I have a question: on the wiki they mention that Sony EBL software has to be nstalled. Is Sony for PC the same as Sony EBL or are they 2 different software? OF they are different where can I find EBL?
Old 12-29-2011, 11:50 AM   #13
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

What specifically do you mean by you can't get ADE to recognize your device? 1) Do you mean the ADE software on your PC? If you connect your T1 by USB, I do not think that ADE for PC will recognize it as a connected item. You need to use the Sony Reader for PC software to have it see your T1. 2) Or, do you mean how I initially interpreted your question that you have a book with DRM that your T1 can't open? Have you tried to open that book in the Sony Reader for PC software and not just in the ADE for PC software?

Let's see if your T1 is authorized. On your T1, go to the second page of the Home Screen and press the Setting button. Then press About and then press Device Info. On that page, do you see the words "This device is authorized for reading and purchasing Adobe DRM content"? If you have those words, then your device is authorized.

Also can you go to the About screen within the Reader for PC software? Sorry, I have a Mac so I am not sure of the exact menu setting on the PC. My About screen tells me the Adobe ID (email address) to which the Sony software is registered and then you can double-check that it is the same email address as your ADE for PC software.

I wonder if your T1 might be authorized to an account which is different than your computer's account? It might be time to contact Sony support and have them troubleshoot.

Sony has been through three different names for their bookstore and software so it is confusing. You can ignore the reference to EBL. It is old and not applicable to the T1. For the T1 you need the new Reader for PC software only.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:19 PM   #14
caribbean_spur
Connoisseur

Now I get it! I thought the transfer was supposed to be done though ADE! Thanks so much bookworm_girl. I read the thread about the T1 and one of the wiki question was "Why doesn't ADE recognize my device" , so I assumed it meant that I should see the T1 when ADE is open.

well not everything is working fine now. Thnaks again