Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 05-16-2010, 07:56 AM   #1
DeReader
Connoisseur
DeReader doesn't litterDeReader doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-T1, iRex DR1000S, Kindle DXG, Jetbook Color
Only 4GB of 8GB SD-Card useable?

Today I ran into a problem with my DR800S, the first thing I did after I got it was to insert a bigger SD card, in my case an 8 GB model.

All went fine until now, today I copied a further ebook on the device and hit a wall. The device disconnected from the USB port without a message or warning while copying. After I did a reset, I got a warning message after the reboot was finished: "The SD card is almost full. You might want to delete files to free space.". So I checked the usage of the memory card in the system settings and it was only approx. 4 GB. After switching to standby and on again, the warning appeared again (see enclosed screenshots).

Had anybody success in using more than 4 GB on the device? Or is it a problem or bug with the firmware, currently I am using the beta firmware with zoom and stuff?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dr800SD1.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	51625   Click image for larger version

Name:	DR800SD2.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	51626  

Last edited by DeReader; 05-16-2010 at 08:00 AM.
DeReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 02:14 PM   #2
The Straven
Nevermore
The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: ex-iLiad, DR800SG
I've got an 8GB Sandisk with over 7GB on it and have never had any such message--running the original firmware because I'm waiting for Kolenka to be able to update the cbz plugin.
The Straven is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2010, 02:50 PM   #3
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Straven View Post
I've got an 8GB Sandisk with over 7GB on it and have never had any such message--running the original firmware because I'm waiting for Kolenka to be able to update the cbz plugin.
Same here. 8GB SanDisk, original firmware. No problems, 8GB fully available.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 04:03 PM   #4
DeReader
Connoisseur

Thanks for your quick replies! So it could be an issue of the current beta firmware or with my card.

I do not want to downgrade the device firmware for further tests, so I'll wait for the release firmware and try again.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:02 PM   #5
Mr. X
Connoisseur
Mr. X is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex DR800SG
It's a bug in both the beta and the old firmware. The code that checks how full the card is uses 32-bit integers, which wrap around at 4GB. So when your card has just shy of a multiple of 4GB (e.g. 3.7 GBish) you get this warning. As soon as you have more than 4GB it will wrap around and think the card is almost empty...

Thankfully it's only this check that has the problem: the card info in settings correctly shows the capacity, and the actual filesystem code handles > 4GB just fine.
Mr. X is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2010, 10:15 AM   #6
DeReader
Connoisseur

I took the SD card out of the device and copied the books directly from the PC to the card. After re-inserting the card into the reader all works fine, used memory is now > 4 GB on the 8 GB card.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:16 PM   #7
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Technically you're talking about a SDHC card, which is not officially supported.

They generally work, but as you've seen there can be some quirks with them.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote