Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-19-2013, 04:40 AM   #1
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
OverDrive Announces Library eBook Leaders for 2012

Here are some interesting stats on OverDrive usage for 2012

Quote:
Today OverDrive released data highlighting the libraries and schools within its worldwide network achieving the greatest growth and exposure for their eBook and audiobook catalogs. During 2012, hundreds of millions of online visitors turned to their libraries’ OverDrive-powered eBook catalogs to browse, sample, and gather recommendations for what to read next. These readers generated over 2.7 billion page views at 22,000 libraries and schools across the OverDrive network.

Public libraries lending the most eBooks and other digital titles from OverDrive-powered catalogs:
  1. King County Library System, Wash. (1.3 million checkouts)
  2. New York Public Library (1.1 million checkouts)
  3. Toronto Public Library (900,000 checkouts)
  4. Seattle Public Library (850,000 checkouts)
  5. Hennepin County Library, Minn. (750,000 checkouts)

Public libraries recording the fastest growth for their eBook-lending catalogs:
  1. Moreton Bay Libraries (Australia) (464% growth)
  2. Mideastern Michigan Library Cooperative (370%)
  3. Western Plains Library System (Okla.) (351%)
  4. Up North Michigan Consortium (317%)
  5. Northeast Texas Digital Consortium (300%)
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:53 AM   #2
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
I'd be interested in file type stats.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2013, 07:55 AM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
I'd be interested in file type stats.
Come to think of it, so would I. I'd love to see who's winning the ePub v Kindle wars.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:12 AM   #4
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Well, since Kindle Library books are only available in the US, you can safely say that the Toronto Public Library's 900,000 checkouts were 100% non-kindle.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:04 AM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

New Report Provides In-Depth Review of eBook Borrowing at Five U.S. Public Libraries

Quote:
Matt Weaver, a Library Renewal board member (who also contributes to infoDOCKET), has written an interesting and discussion provoking report about ebook borrowing.

The report is titled, Struggling to Satisfy Demand and it’s more than worth a look. You can find the full text report along with a sidebar listing “key dates” in libraries and ebooks (2011-June 2012) on the Library Renewal web site.

In a nutshell, Weaver analyzes ebook borrowing statistics made available by five U.S. public libraries:
  • Robbins Public Library (MA)
  • Santa Monica Public Library (CA)
  • Omaha Public Library (NE)
  • Topeka Shawnee County Public Library (KS)
  • Westlake Porter Public Library (OH)
Of note in that report is this table about Kindle checkouts.

Quote:
Table 1: Kindle share of ebook checkouts – average of sample libraries (TSCPL is not included)
  • Sep-11: 22.3%
  • Dec-11: 54.8%
  • Mar-12: 59.5%
  • Jun-12: 57.5%
In September 2011, when the Kindle format was first supported by Overdrive, it accounted for an average 22.3% of ebook checkouts among the libraries that provided data for this category (Omaha, Robbins, Santa Monica, and WPPL). By December 2011, that share doubled to nearly 55%. In March, Kindle accounted for nearly 60% of ebook checkouts, falling slightly by end-June 2012, the end of the term covered in this analysis (Table 1).
Advert
Old 03-19-2013, 06:17 PM   #6
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, Monkey, the numbers are actually surprising, considering that some publishers have started cutting back on providing Kindle along with ePub?

Now to find out WMA vs MP3 - I did a quick serach and could not find anything.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:14 PM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Thanks, Monkey, the numbers are actually surprising, considering that some publishers have started cutting back on providing Kindle along with ePub?

Now to find out WMA vs MP3 - I did a quick serach and could not find anything.
YW

I wasn't surprised. I always suspected Kindle would be the dominant format in public libraries.

As to audiobooks - WMA is the probable leader, because the majority of audiobooks in most libraries are in this format. Here are a few examples:
  • US Navy General Library --- WMA= 25,656 ..... MP3= 14,927
  • Seattle Public Library ------ WMA= 19,356 ..... MP3= 11,268
  • ClevNet Library Coop ------ WMA= 15,859 ..... MP3= 8,416
  • Calgary Public Library ------ WMA= 12,364 ..... MP3= 6,453

Last edited by tubemonkey; 03-19-2013 at 07:21 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-20-2013, 12:23 AM   #8
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
YW

I wasn't surprised. I always suspected Kindle would be the dominant format in public libraries.

As to audiobooks - WMA is the probable leader, because the majority of audiobooks in most libraries are in this format. Here are a few examples:
  • US Navy General Library --- WMA= 25,656 ..... MP3= 14,927
  • Seattle Public Library ------ WMA= 19,356 ..... MP3= 11,268
  • ClevNet Library Coop ------ WMA= 15,859 ..... MP3= 8,416
  • Calgary Public Library ------ WMA= 12,364 ..... MP3= 6,453
Up until recently, I had no clue I wasn't seeing 2/3 of all audiobooks because I always browse from my iPad, which Overdrive decided means I should not be shown any WMAs, not even through search. I would guess I am not the only one browsing from a tablet or phone, so even though the percentage of WMAs is larger, I'd bet my first-born's soul that the ratio of WMAs to MP3s borrowed would not mirror the ratio of available WMAs to MP3s.

... Easy for me to say, since I don't have any children
Old 03-21-2013, 12:33 AM   #9
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Up until recently, I had no clue I wasn't seeing 2/3 of all audiobooks because I always browse from my iPad, which Overdrive decided means I should not be shown any WMAs, not even through search. I would guess I am not the only one browsing from a tablet or phone, so even though the percentage of WMAs is larger, I'd bet my first-born's soul that the ratio of WMAs to MP3s borrowed would not mirror the ratio of available WMAs to MP3s.

... Easy for me to say, since I don't have any children
I was talking to a guy I work with yesterday about browsers and he has an iPhone. He uses the Chrome browser and can "Request desktop site" from the menu. If you can get that on your iPad, you should be able to see all formats.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:27 AM   #10
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
I was talking to a guy I work with yesterday about browsers and he has an iPhone. He uses the Chrome browser and can "Request desktop site" from the menu. If you can get that on your iPad, you should be able to see all formats.
I have alternative browsers, the thing is that I did not know that I was not seeing everything, so I did not know to use an alternative browser. It is no longer a problem for me, but what about all those other people who are equally ignorant of this fact?
Old 03-21-2013, 09:38 AM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
I have alternative browsers, the thing is that I did not know that I was not seeing everything, so I did not know to use an alternative browser. It is no longer a problem for me, but what about all those other people who are equally ignorant of this fact?
That begs the question - how many people borrow from the OverDrive app vs those who borrow from a computer? I prefer borrowing from my PC.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:06 AM   #12
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
That begs the question - how many people borrow from the OverDrive app vs those who borrow from a computer? I prefer borrowing from my PC.
I often borrow from my mobile device then download from my PC later. This is especially true if I get a notification that a book I have on hold is available and I'm out if town or something where I won't make it to my PC before the hold expires.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:45 AM   #13
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwlester View Post
I often borrow from my mobile device then download from my PC later. This is especially true if I get a notification that a book I have on hold is available and I'm out if town or something where I won't make it to my PC before the hold expires.

I borrow using the browser on my phone or tablet if I am not near my computer and get notified too. I have always had my browsers set to desktop user agent even on my phone because I do not like mobile sites. I haven't used the overdive app.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote