Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-03-2012, 06:13 AM   #1
Algiedi
Overenthusiastic Noob
Algiedi has learned how to read e-booksAlgiedi has learned how to read e-booksAlgiedi has learned how to read e-booksAlgiedi has learned how to read e-booksAlgiedi has learned how to read e-booksAlgiedi has learned how to read e-booksAlgiedi has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3
Amazon customer service - good in the US only?

Hello everyone,

Yesterday I had my first contact with the amazon.com customer service (chat) about my broken Kindle. I've been VERY favorably impressed and customer service quality suddenly became an important aspect for picking my next device.
But since now I'm "forced" to buy Kindles on the amazon.fr website, I tried to check out if it was as good in France as in the US.

The service is absolutely pathetic. I've had 3 people on chat, none of them have been able to answer simple questions about the warranty, one going so far as to improvize answers that were blatantly wrong. The spelling was awful ("Im plased to hepl u " - I wish I was kidding) and the attitude was overall very unprofessionnal. I haven't gotten the promised phone call yet, but I'm definitely not getting my hopes up.

Has anyone else witnessed that discrepancy, or is the French customer service the very unfortunate exception to the rule?
Algiedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:25 AM   #2
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
I've never gotten customer service outside of the U.S., but I can tell you that it's not always stellar here either. I was on a chat the other day with CS because that's the only way you can cancel pending Kindle deliveries, if they're pending for devices you don't want them going to. I spent at least 15 minutes trying to explain to the person that I wasn't trying to cancel a book order, but I never did get through to him. He finally bounced me up to a second level person who took care of me, but the point is, don't go by one experience.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2012, 06:38 AM   #3
Algiedi
Overenthusiastic Noob
Algiedi has learned how to read e-booksAlgiedi has learned how to read e-booksAlgiedi has learned how to read e-booksAlgiedi has learned how to read e-booksAlgiedi has learned how to read e-booksAlgiedi has learned how to read e-booksAlgiedi has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talldog View Post
the point is, don't go by one experience.
Yeah I would normally not extrapolate a rule out of a single try, but I've also read very positive feedback about it on this forum that's coherent with my own experience (even people advising a Kindle if only for the quality of the customer service). Or is it that I only noticed those because of said experience?
Old 05-03-2012, 06:43 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
UK customer service is excellent, in my experience.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:46 AM   #5
geoffwood
Addict
geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT+K4T+PRST1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiedi View Post
The spelling was awful ("Im plased to hepl u " - I wish I was kidding)
Perhaps Amazon didn't think to staff a French Customer Service desk with people who speak English as their first language.
geoffwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2012, 08:03 AM   #6
Algiedi
Overenthusiastic Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffwood View Post
Perhaps Amazon didn't think to staff a French Customer Service desk with people who speak English as their first language.
Let me "reassure" you, the entire conversations took place in french (given that I'm French myself).
I was transposing my impressions into English of course - I'm not sure that quotes in french would have fulfilled its illustrative purpose as efficiently
Old 05-03-2012, 11:06 AM   #7
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I would complain that the Customer Service was unsatisfactory. Amazon is known for putting CS high on its list of priorities and would appreciate knowing that there is a problem.

I know in the US that there is a seperate Kindle Support site that it is best to use. Regular Amazon support is not trained to answer questions on Kindles or deal with Kindle problems. Normally when people have bad CS experiences they have called Amazon CS and not Kindle CS. There are exceptions to that rule, there always are, but that tends to be the case.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:12 AM   #8
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiedi View Post
Hello everyone,

Yesterday I had my first contact with the amazon.com customer service (chat) about my broken Kindle. I've been VERY favorably impressed and customer service quality suddenly became an important aspect for picking my next device.
But since now I'm "forced" to buy Kindles on the amazon.fr website, I tried to check out if it was as good in France as in the US.

The service is absolutely pathetic. I've had 3 people on chat, none of them have been able to answer simple questions about the warranty, one going so far as to improvize answers that were blatantly wrong. The spelling was awful ("Im plased to hepl u " - I wish I was kidding) and the attitude was overall very unprofessionnal. I haven't gotten the promised phone call yet, but I'm definitely not getting my hopes up.

Has anyone else witnessed that discrepancy, or is the French customer service the very unfortunate exception to the rule?
Click on the 'call me' button, avoid the chat.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:23 PM   #9
Algiedi
Overenthusiastic Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Click on the 'call me' button, avoid the chat.
Less discreet when you're at work and pretending to, well, work
But yeah, I was hoping to compare this morning after I was told several times that someone would call me back in a couple of hours.
Still waiting.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:27 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The customer service desks shift around the world as the time of day changes. If I phone in the morning, I seem to get people in either Ireland or South Africa, and they always seem to be extremely helpful. In the afternoon, support seems to move over to the Far East - the Phillipines, Thailand, etc - and I don't find them to be quite as good - they sometimes seem to struggle to understand what I'm saying.

Consequently, when I do phone Amazon, I try to call first thing in the morning.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:32 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
In the US, there is Amazon CS and Kindle CS. If you have Kindle CS, call them for Kindle support.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:52 PM   #12
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:48 PM   #13
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Normally when people have bad CS experiences they have called Amazon CS and not Kindle CS. There are exceptions to that rule, there always are, but that tends to be the case.
In my case, I did go to Kindle CS. The first guy was clueless. The second guy took care of me in a minute.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:41 PM   #14
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
When I have been in contact with CS I always get a mail asking me to rate the service. I thought that was standard procedure. That way you can tell them exactly what the problem is and I believe it goes to a CS supervisor.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:39 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Just had another example of good Kindle CS; I've been having a problem with downloading to Kindle for PC; they fixed it, then phoned me up to check that it was working OK for me.