Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-08-2011, 12:19 AM   #1
coolspark
coolspark began at the beginning.

Device: Nook STR
NOOK STR vs Kindle 3

Hi,

Need help determining which EReader to go in for. I plan to read mainly programming books which I have in PDF format. This is going be my first Ereader. I will be getting it shipped to India so checking it out before buying is ruled out.

I have narrowed down to Kindle & Nook Simple Touch. Listed below are the pros/cons based on what I have read so far:

Nook Touch:
Pros:
1) Easy to root – so as to install 3rd party PDF readers (EzPDFReader , Repligo)
2) Android
3) Multiple Format support out of box
4) Ability to add more storage via External card.

Cons:
1) possible ghosting Issue?
2) No warranty in India.

Kindle:
Pros:
1) Supposed to have better PDF support out of box
2) Replacement warranty in India
3) Can use DuoKan for multiple format support
4) Support for Audio books/ Play Mp3

Cons:
1) No Android - installing custom viewers to support PDF can be an issue;
2) DuoKan English support could be an issue.
3) From what I have read Kindle have an issue for Freezing & dying, which then need to be replaced.
4) Limited Storage.

Nook Color ruled out as it has LCD screen and I thinks it’s strenuous on the eyes.

Please let me know what I need to go in for.

Regards
cookSpark
coolspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:29 AM   #2
hughes
Addict
hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Galaxy Nexus, iPad 1
You seem well aware of the relative merits of the devices. Here are a few more out of the box differences:

Kindle advantages: keyboard, 3G model available, 4G internal memory, Text-To-Speech, MP3 support.

Nook Touch advantages: touch screen, less page-turn flashing, EPUB support, SD memory expansion port.

I sense that you'll enjoy the rooting advantages of the Nook Touch.

I only caution you that PDF is non-ideal for either ereader. Be aware of the limitations of both devices' PDF support and small screen size for viewing PDF. Without reflow, the resulting need for horizontal scrolling can make for a miserable reading experience.
hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2011, 12:08 PM   #3
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
well, the keyboard of Kindle 3 is not really a thumb-up IMO. Unless you need to browse web and use the dictionary, I think I'd go for Nook touch.
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:28 PM   #4
jtdolphins
Zealot
jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipod touch, Kindle3
I choose the Kindle over the Nook and Kobo. There really are no perfect e-readers. I plan on getting a second device for pdf's. They do not work well on e-ink screens.

The are several reasons why I didn't choose the Nook. The first is ghosting when outside. This is only a problem if you read out doors or in bright sunlight. I saw no problems while reading inside. So it may or may not be an issue for you. I didn't like the feel of the Nook in my hands or how the buttons worked.

I was annoyed with BN reserving 75% of the memory for BN books. Yes I know you can buy a card, but it still annoys me.

I couldn't get an answer about how to get notes off the Nook. I asked several times here and once at the store, but no one seemed to know. If I can't get notes off then it does no good to make them. This may have been addressed, so double check if its important.

The touchscreen was responsive and worked flawless in my time with it. I think this a major step up from the Nook classic.

I know you didn't ask about the Kobo, but it was my favorite to hold. I had a Kobo wi-fi and I love holding it. I was glad they kept the quilted back. If they would support the dictionary on epubs I probably would have bought it.

For the Kindle I didn't like the keyboard. I really didn't want a keyboard. I wanted touch, but I have gotten use to it. Using numbers when typing is a bit annoying.

What I liked about the kindle was the ability to take notes and highlight. The highlighting was more precise than the Nook. I was all over the place when using the nook. Getting notes off the kindle is very easy. I always thought the Kindle had about the best screen to read on. There are more formatting options for the text on the kindle too. After using the Kobo wi-fi, I realized this was something I wanted.

I got the case with the light built in and I love it. Just took a trip, so nice not worrying about a book lamp. The case does add weight, but it doesn't bother me. Perfect for traveling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolspark View Post
Cons:
3) From what I have read Kindle have an issue for Freezing & dying, which then need to be replaced.
I never came across this when doing my research. All electronics can have issues, but Amazon has great customer support. Heard nothing but good things about them. Actually I have never had an issue with returning anything to amazon.

I still want a touch, but I am glad I got the kindle. It does everything I need out of the box. I figure I will upgrade in a year or so and pass this one onto a family member.
jtdolphins is offline   Reply With Quote