Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

View Poll Results: Im a newbie spanish speaker mainly. Have I been too pushy or bothering?
So so 1 33.33%
No 0 0%
A bit 0 0%
Keep posting... 2 66.67%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-30-2011, 12:23 PM   #1
exitodigital
exitodigital began at the beginning.

Device: developer of ebooks for amazon Kindle an rest of devices
Red face General matters. New user from Argentina

Hi developer
Im from Argentina and been online for more than 10 years know building websites and know html and asp at an intermediate level (Beware that I am a personal fitness trainer and after an accident I turned to online activities to make a living...).
As Im new to Sigil Ive read the tutorial and played a little bit with the application. I find if very useful but I seem to be a bit short to get all the pieces missing.

My aim is to solve all matters related to compiling to digital formats all books that an Argentinian Press Company is sending to printing.

They are at the time uploading files to Amazon on one hand, and to other platforms that support .ePub. I started to study the format of Amazon but it really worn me and so I changed focus to get the .ePub format going first.
On this first instance Im trying to get a decent and well finished digital book on ePub format as a test, to get their trust and keep working for them. I did one but with some issues to solve when it comes to running on a Kindle Previewer. And also I want to know other doubts I have.

#######
The 4 issues I need to solve are (from basic to advanced) the following.
#######

-[1] ¿Should I copy paste the information from a '.doc' file to Sigil text tabs or copy the information from ".doc" file to a txt file, (-loose all edditing-) and then paste it to Sigil Text Tabs?
I copy paste and this code <p class="MsoNormal sgc-43"> keeps appearing and I think mso stands for Microsoft. Or I'm mistaken?

-[2] Is it worth to get a stylish letter Type as for example 'Constantia' Type in the ePub format digital book?
2.1 If it is posible, should I import the Type? or just dont worry about it and turn to Times N R, Arial, Verdana or the like?

-[3] Should I build a css file on my own as I do it when I build websites? How do I upload it to the Styles directory in SIGIL?

-[4] When I see the ePub file I created in the Kindle Previewer on my PC, thought it is 'viewable' it shows that both files NCX and TOC are wrongly built. I built the TOC correctly with SIGIL. I understood how to apply PageBreaks and Headings code from 1 to 6. Where should I built this two files and where I should upload them within the SIGIL application and how?

Thank you so much and Im open to talk on a Skype, call you wherever you are or of course read down here explanations or tips on how to solve this inical issues I came across.

If you can send me a file that I could open in SIGIL and see it correctly created with Styles, Toc and NCX file as a model so to be, It would be great!!!!

Thanks
TEO from argentina
exitodigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 01:20 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
A Sigil relevant Poll?

Sigil has no control (or license to include fonts) of what fonts you choose.
Sigil allows any 'proper' stylesheet. Go for it

Files,fonts are added via right click in the book browser.
IMHO adding images: it is easier to place the Image into the page using the Image place tool. (the image file will be imported to the Images section).
If you add via the Book Browser, then you need to hand code the points of usage.
Sigil has no provision for an 'inline' Contents page.
Sigil 3.x builds a TOC into the NCX file from h# tags (with a provision to hide some tag from the TOC (press f7 and untick)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2011, 12:49 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
doc files are a pain from word. It is better to use something like OpenOffice to bring up the doc file and then save as html for importing into Sigil. Or if you like there is a macro for OpenOffice that can create an ePub directly that you can then edit in Sigil if you wish. It is also in our forums and is called Writer2ePub.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 03:29 PM   #4
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Hi

Another OpenOffice extension is writer2xhtml which allows you to export directly to EPUB from an odt file.

It enjoys very complete capabilities for text, tables, notes, images, stylesheets and more...
roger64 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
argentina, beginner, ncx, support, toc creation