Notices

Old 07-10-2012, 06:58 AM   #1
GOGGS75
Enthusiast
GOGGS75 began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad mini + Kindle Touch
EPUB to MOBI blockquote problems

Hi

After successfully managing to convert a CHM file to an EPUB file I had a very good result. There are just two small but repetitive problems when converting it from EPUB to MOBI using Calibre. I am still trying to sort this and am hoping someone else has had a similar problem.

I converted first to EPUB so that I could use Sigil to edit any errors.

The problems seem to be caused by the <blockquote> tag when looking at the EPUB file using Sigil. The EPUB file converted from CHM seems to use this as the equivalent of a tab on WORD. Sigil's WYSIWYG view shows no errors but when converting to MOBI my Kindle has the following two problems.

1.) Wording for Notes, Tips and Cautions are indented far too much on the Kindle.

2.) Entries on a listing using either numbers or no numbers have a break after the number or symbol the text on the next line

The code on Sigil looking to cause the first problem is as follows

<table border="0" class="calibre16" valign="top">
<tr class="calibre17" valign="top">
<td class="calibre18" valign="top"></td>

<td class="calibre18" valign="top"><span class="bold calibre19">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Note&nbsp ;</span></td>

<td class="calibre18" valign="top">
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;

<blockquote class="calibre32">

'wording for note'

</blockquote>
</td>
</tr>
</table>

Initially there were as many as three blockquotes in a row but reducing this to one partly solved the problem. There is still a gap of around 1.3 cm

The code on Sigil looking to cause the second problem is as follows

<ol class="calibre58">
<li class="calibre41" value="1">
wording for line
</blockquote>
</li>
</ol>

I will be gratefull in anyone had any advice.

Cheers

Goggs75
GOGGS75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:43 PM   #2
GOGGS75
Enthusiast

Hi

I thought I better let you know I have solved problem no 2. After reading various items on the internet I found out that my Kindle does not support listings very well when a CSS sheet is involved. The original code was as follows:

<ol class="calibre58">
<li class="calibre41" value="1">
wording for line
</blockquote>
</li>
</ol>

I stripped this back to:

<ol>
<li>
wording for line
<br /><br />
</li>
</ol>

and it has stopped the number (or symbol when <ul>) causing a break before the wording relevant to the line.

I am still trying to solve problem number 1.

Cheers

Goggs75
Old 07-11-2012, 05:33 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Mobipocket does not support right margin so blockquotes will only give you a left margin.

You could convert the ePub to KF8 if you want proper blockquotes. Might solve your other problems too.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:36 AM   #4
GOGGS75
Enthusiast

Hi

I have now managed to solve problem (1) also. Again by stripping <blockquote> out and the class names not required then inserting a column width. The new code is as follows:

<table border="0" width="100%">
<tr>

<td class="bold calibre19" width="70px">Note</td>
<td> wording for note

<br /></td>
</tr>
</table>

I like Calibre for conversion but the addition of a <blockquote> seems be a bug when converting from EPUB to MOBI for use on a Kindle.

Cheers

Goggs75

<table border="0"
<tr>
<td class="calibre18" valign="top"></td>

<td class="calibre18" valign="top"><span class="bold calibre19">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Note&nbsp ;</span></td>

<td class="calibre18" valign="top">
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;

'wording for note'

</blockquote>
</td>
</tr>
</table>
Old 07-12-2012, 09:51 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Like I said, convert to KF8/AZW3 and your blockquote will work.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:55 AM   #6
ElMiko
Addict
ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Like I said, convert to KF8/AZW3 and your blockquote will work.
Just to be clear, this will still display without the right margin on pre-Kindle Touch Kindles, correct? At least until they become supportive of the KF8 format...
ElMiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:45 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMiko View Post
Just to be clear, this will still display without the right margin on pre-Kindle Touch Kindles, correct? At least until they become supportive of the KF8 format...
This will display correctly on a Kindle Fire, Kindle Touch, and Kindle Blah. The other Kindles only support Mobipocket and no right margin.