Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-12-2012, 10:16 AM   #1
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Keep track of "To Be Read" books

How do you do it?

I like to read books that are part of series. And usually it takes a while until a new book gets released, so by that time I have totally forgotten about the upcoming Vinve Flynn, Brad Meltzer or F. Paul Wilson book.

What makes things even harder for me is that frequently, the official release is a US release and me in outback Austria (on the old continent) has to wait even longer.

So how do you plan your reading, your purchases etc.? Electronically? Good ol' paper note with release dates?
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:02 AM   #2
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I love Goodreads. I keep an ordered "to-read" list there. You can add custom tags or "shelves" and label books with the month-year of release if you wish.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2012, 11:09 AM   #3
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I use Author Alerts to keep track of when new books by an author come out.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:21 AM   #4
stop__dreaming
Addict
stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
GoodReads. It's a brilliant site.
stop__dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:56 PM   #5
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Goodreads!!
I thought I registered there but now it doesn't know me anymore.
Thanks for reminding me ... yes, that is a great site.
And there's an iPhone app too
Advert
Old 11-12-2012, 01:00 PM   #6
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Well I usually don't read a series that's incomplete so the rare times I do I simply mark the release date on my Google calendar.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:08 PM   #7
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
The Goodreads iPhone app has a barcode scanner. I thought this was a brilliant idea. My stepfather has thousands of paperbacks and he doesn't remember what he has or what he's read. I have started to scan his entire library so he (or a family member) can search Goodreads to discover whether he owns a book or not.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:36 PM   #8
mores
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomtroll View Post
How do I get that thing to just inform me on releases of new books - not paperback and hardcover etc, but releases of new books. Or just kindle books maybe.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:09 PM   #9
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomtroll View Post
This.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:07 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I handle it by not planning my reading at all. I tend to "wing it." When I finish a book. I poke around a bit looking for some ideas... which usually results in me buying a book and immediately reading it. Other than a few irresistible bargains I might come across, I don't really have a formal TBR list of any kind. I used to, but I got tired of feeling guilty about ignoring it, or skipping entries, and generally just letting it get all impossibly big, unwieldy and rather pointless—so I stopped. Now I'm a hippy-type, free-range, listless reader.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:17 PM   #11
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I use GoodReads as well, but I found that www.fictfact.com is one of the best sites out there for keeping track of where I am in a series. It allows you follow specific series and mark the books in various ways (for example "read", "to be read", "skipped", etc.) I'm a stickler for reading series in order, so this site is really indispensable for me.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:23 PM   #12
GeckoFriend
Guru
GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeckoFriend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad Mini4, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I handle it by not planning my reading at all. I tend to "wing it." When I finish a book. I poke around a bit looking for some ideas... which usually results in me buying a book and immediately reading it. Other than a few irresistible bargains I might come across, I don't really have a formal TBR list of any kind. I used to, but I got tired of feeling guilty about ignoring it, or skipping entries, and generally just letting it get all impossibly big, unwieldy and rather pointless—so I stopped. Now I'm a hippy-type, free-range, listless reader.
I'm with you; reading for me is for fun and relaxation, not record keeping or statistics.
GeckoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:30 PM   #13
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
I don't bother with a TBR list. There is always going to be something out there I'll want to read, I don't need to regiment it.

I buy books that sound interesting if they are cheap enough, use the library a LOT, and basically read on whim, whatever feels right at the time. I keep a good selection on my readers, so I'm not likely to have trouble coming up with a book I'll feel like reading.

A friend did get me to track this year what I've read via Goodreads, which may be kind of useful so that I can remember down the road if I've read something before or not, given my memory is not what it was. I think I'll keep that up. But I re-read often as well, so it's not all that critical.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:46 PM   #14
auntiem
Enthusiast
auntiem will become famous soon enoughauntiem will become famous soon enoughauntiem will become famous soon enoughauntiem will become famous soon enoughauntiem will become famous soon enoughauntiem will become famous soon enough

Device: nexus 7
I county have a tbr list either for the reasons in the above posts.
The only times it bugs me not to have a list is when I'm reading a series as it is easy to lose track of it.
auntiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:50 PM   #15
mizzlia
mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook tablet 8gb, samsung galaxy tab 10.1 wifi 32gb
I use good reads for ones i didnt buy yet and the ones i have i make a shelve on my nook
mizzlia is offline   Reply With Quote