Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-18-2012, 02:05 AM   #1
Mkh_85
Mkh_85 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Need help choosing an E reader

Hi
I considered buying an E reader a couple of days ago as i have so many pdf files that i must read for my research project, so i need help in choosing a suitable one, here what do i have in mind:
-I need it to be comfortable for eyes to read for more than an hour
-easy to read two colomns scientific papers
-Big display not less than 9 inches
-Can search and annotate pdfs
-Can be loaded with my own files

I also want to know what are the methods used to transfer files to the E reader as i heared that kindle is the only one that would download from an email

Thanks in advance
Mkh_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:25 AM   #2
pastanley
Zealot
pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite 4, Kindle fire HD 10
your pretty demanding aren't you?
pastanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2012, 03:56 AM   #3
Iskariot
Zealot
Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950 Daily Edition, Kobo Aura HD
If you read mostly and many PDF's and if they feature a lot of illustrations, graphics etc in color I would recommend thinking about a tablet.

Tablets also tend to have much more internal memory and because PDF's can be very large you might run out of internal memory in e-readers faster than you would like.

Of course the LCD displays of tablets are not as comfortable for reading as the e-ink displays.

If you insist on getting an e-reader I would start to first select devices based on size and work from there, because not many brands have 9" or larger models.

Pocketbook has some large screens. Perhaps they have what you need.

Last edited by Iskariot; 09-18-2012 at 04:46 AM.
Iskariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:55 AM   #4
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3gen, Cybook Odyssey FL HD
Definitely get a tablet for that purpose. I do all my pdf reader and annotation on an iPad using iAnnotate, but pretty much any tablet will give you what you need.
jojoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:31 PM   #5
Mkh_85
Mkh_85 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Actually I have an ipad and it causes me eye fatigue. I want to have an e ink reader for long reading as i understood that it does not Cause this problem.
Thanks any way
Mkh_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2012, 04:02 AM   #6
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My personal experience with reading and annotating PDFs on an e-ink reader is pretty negative - but I guess you could consider the kindle DX?
Old 09-19-2012, 07:43 AM   #7
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoba View Post
My personal experience with reading and annotating PDFs on an e-ink reader is pretty negative - but I guess you could consider the kindle DX?
The DX cannot annotate PDFs. I suggest the Onyx Boox M92
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:08 AM   #8
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
About the Onyx M92 and the Pocket Book :
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post
Many tests are done here : https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=157607, there is many videos on Youtube. You can search "jbaach M92" on Google. Jbaach has a blog, the URL is in the forum indicated.
For the PocketBook, look at the forum.

I have a Onyx M92.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:09 AM   #9
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
PDF on e-ink is the most sought answer here in this forum. It seems to popup at least once every day.

The answer is the same: buy a LCD tablet. e-ink readers are for fiction books, not technical manuals full of diagrams in fixed layout.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:12 AM   #10
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
PDF on e-ink is the most sought answer here in this forum. It seems to popup at least once every day.

The answer is the same: buy a LCD tablet. e-ink readers are for fiction books, not technical manuals full of diagrams in fixed layout.
I haven't some problem with PDF, you could easily make a zoom.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:13 PM   #11
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
yeah, I can read PDF on 6" e-ink too, in landscape mode. It still sucks, but less than the slow zooming (that also draws a lot more battery).
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:48 AM   #12
jojoba
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post

This is how I see it, too, but your milage may vary. I read pdfs for research purposes, and then it's important to me to be able to easily scroll through, and back and forth, in a document quickly. Tablets do this much better than e-ink, and they also offer much better options in terms of annotation. I tried doing this all on an e-ink initially, but gave up relatively quickly and moved to iPad. I love e-ink for my recreational reading, but they just don't cut it work wise.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:20 AM   #13
Iskariot
Zealot
Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iskariot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950 Daily Edition, Kobo Aura HD
Mkh_85,

In this article you will find a comparison between 2 large screen E-readers, the Pocketbook 903 and Onyx boox m92 :

http://baach.de/Members/jhb/-compari...-onyx-boox-m92

A lot of attention is given to the pdf handling of both readers.

Perhaps this will help.
Iskariot is offline   Reply With Quote