Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 06-26-2012, 12:46 PM   #16
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffwood View Post
I think it is more about margin's for the manufacturer. If the device has an SD Card slot, who would pay extra $50 for the version with 16GB instead of 8GB? Most people would buy the cheap version and then throw a cheap 32 or 64GB card in it and be done.
Of course, that works for Apple, but for normal vendors, the buyer will just buy a different tablet brand that has the SD card, if it's important to them, and the manufacturer will get no margin at all.
The better course would be for the manufacturer to put the card slot in, not offer a 16GB version (heck, just make a 4GB version and save some money themselves....) and make the up-charge model have more RAM, faster processor, better camera, or whatever bell-and/or-whistle they think will give them the bigger value-add. Sell a deluxe pack with leather case and SD card or something.

Last edited by ApK; 06-26-2012 at 01:46 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:09 PM   #17
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hn333 View Post
I agree, Android is awful on a tablet. Its fine on the KF, but my next tablet will be running Windows RT.
I strongly disagree. My Xoom (Honeycomb => ICS) allowed me to shelve my Windows laptop long ago. What experience are you basing your comment on? Do you have an Android tablet other than a Fire?
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2012, 03:36 PM   #18
hn333
Addict
hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
I strongly disagree. My Xoom (Honeycomb => ICS) allowed me to shelve my Windows laptop long ago. What experience are you basing your comment on? Do you have an Android tablet other than a Fire?
Android just doesn't do it for me. Windows RT is everything I need. Expect andorid tablets to go the way of the netbook.
hn333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:38 PM   #19
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Android just doesn't do it for me. Windows RT is everything I need. Expect andorid tablets to go the way of the netbook.
Just because YOU like it better?
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:07 PM   #20
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
I'm fascinated how you can be so certain about a product that has not yet been released and that virtually no one outside of Microsoft has touched.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2012, 07:56 PM   #21
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
I'm fascinated how you can be so certain about a product that has not yet been released and that virtually no one outside of Microsoft has touched.
Everything about Windows 8 is beautiful. The apps for it are W-O-W! I feel sad that they used that marketing for Vista, because this is the real WOW! It loads like a minute faster than OS X Lion on my Late 2011 MacBook Pro, that's how much of a beast the new OS is. A lot of the apps that come in the consumer preview's marketplace blow my mind. And dammit, those keyboards look awesome in those colors.

I'm definitely getting one, and thinking about the new KF which is speculated to be announced by the end of next month. Have no interest in other Android tablets, very happy with the Amazon App Store.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:32 PM   #22
hn333
Addict
hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Android just feel cheap and worthless to me. Windows RT will cut it's throat in the tablet market.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:02 AM   #23
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Android just feel cheap and worthless to me. Windows RT will cut it's throat in the tablet market.
Not at $600 for an entry level device. The average consumer will look at that price tag and buy a $200 Google Nexus or Kindle Fire instead.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:40 AM   #24
StoryEnthusiast
K. C. Lee
StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone
Bring it on. The cheaper the better. Even better if it supports BT keyboard and mouse.
StoryEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:42 AM   #25
geoffwood
Addict
geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT+K4T+PRST1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Everything about Windows 8 is beautiful. The apps for it are W-O-W! I feel sad that they used that marketing for Vista, because this is the real WOW! It loads like a minute faster than OS X Lion on my Late 2011 MacBook Pro, that's how much of a beast the new OS is. A lot of the apps that come in the consumer preview's marketplace blow my mind. And dammit, those keyboards look awesome in those colors.

I'm definitely getting one, and thinking about the new KF which is speculated to be announced by the end of next month. Have no interest in other Android tablets, very happy with the Amazon App Store.
It's certainly a bold move on Microsoft's part and it is pretty, but I have my doubts about it. It looks like a tablet OS running on the desktop, I keep wanting to reach out and touch the screen as it is clearly meant for a touch screen, which desktops don't yet have. The transition from the Metro Interface to the "real" desktop is jarring to say the least and I just don't see the corporate world embracing the new OS. They care about productivity, not pretty.

The counter argument is that it may be pretty enough to wow people in-store. That said, if you are taken with the Metro UI, then you might as well get a tablet rather than a PC.

One way or the other Windows 8 will go down in history, I'm just not sure which way it will go. By layering the same UI on a PC, phone and tablet MS is betting heavily on the Metro UI and for that reason alone it will succeed to some degree. The idea is appealing, but watching how MS has botched the Windows Phone 8 transition, I have reservations about investing into an ecosystem where they don't seem to be overly concerned about cutting off their customers and partners and leading them up a technological dead end. I have fallen for that before. I have a great Windows Home Server, it has disk spanning which is a wonderful feature. Microsoft have released an update that drops that feature and there is ZERO upgrade path, if I want to upgrade I have to wipe all data and start over. That's the upgrade strategy I have come to expect from MS. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice.....
geoffwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:53 AM   #26
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Ah you're a Microsoft fan. Nothing wrong with that, but you used far too many words to convey that sentiment.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:23 AM   #27
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
Me too. The listed features and prices are fantastic, but no SD card storage would be a deal breaker for me.
It's not necessarily a deal-breaker (I have a Fire), but it's something that I've come to really enjoy with most other Android offerings and would be a big negative which could easily sway my wallet power (see: small allowance from wife) to another device that has an SD slot.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:13 PM   #28
hn333
Addict

Quote:
Ah you're a Microsoft fan. Nothing wrong with that, but you used far too many words to convey that sentiment.
I just want to be on the winning side.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:00 PM   #29
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
From Android Central:

Quote:
Google Nexus 7 available for preorder now for $199, shipping mid-July

Google announced a freakin' sweet 7-inch tablet appropriately called the Nexus 7 at I/O today, and no doubt many of you are itching to get your hands on one. You'll be happy to hear that it's available for preorder starting today, and will be shipping mid-July to the U.S., Canada, UK, and Australia. The pricetag is a low, low $199. Here's a quick run-down of the specs.
  • 7-inch 1280 x 800 display
  • Quad-processor
  • Tegra 3 12-core GPU
  • Front-facing camera
  • Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, NFC, gyroscope
  • 9 hours video playback
  • 300 hours standby
  • 340 g
  • Chrome as standard browser
  • $199, shipping mid-July to US, Canada, Australia and UK, preorders available today
  • Includes $25 credit in Google Play store, lots of preloaded goodies
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:19 PM   #30
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
"I just want to be on the winning side."
Then you should already own an Ipad3 with retina display
if "winning"is your primary objective in buying consumer tech.

I just want to do the things i need to do with my tech.
I am too busy to be concerned about bragging rights from being on some perceived "winning bandwagon"
My personal self esteem is quite secure with out such banality
but to each their own.
Anabran is offline   Reply With Quote