Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-13-2012, 07:18 PM   #1
parking
parking began at the beginning.

Device: none
problem with "suitable formats", lost jpgs, and understanding how calibre works

I am trying to use a sony prs-t1 with calibre. I have downloaded the prs-t1 plugin, and set epub as the first format, followed by pdf and txt.
I have 500 plus books in My Callibre Library, all set up under a folder with author's name, under this a folder with individual book name followed by a number in brackets, under this a folder with the epub file, the metadata file and a cover.jpg file. I presume this is the normal Calibre setup method.
When I selected Send to Device 200+ of the books went to the device without a problem. The remainder lost the picture of the cover in Calibre and would not transfer because "no suitable formats were found". When I answered yes to convert to suitable format, nothing happened.
Then I went to find a cover jpg for one book, so selected "edit metadata individually", and browsed to the folder where the cover is stored. selected it and said OK. A window popped up and said "OS Error No such file or directory". I said OK. A second folder has now appeared with the book name and a different number in brackets. Opening this folder there is only a metadata file there. The book cover does not update in the calibre display.
If I go through the process again the book cover does appear and saves ok, But I am now left with 2 folders for this book under the author's name.

Can somebody please tell me what I am doing wrong here, why some books transferred to device ok, and some didn't, and those that didn't lost their cover data even though it was still there.

Sorry to be so long winded with the question, but I want to use Calibre, but I also want to understand what is happening.
parking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:36 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by parking View Post
I am trying to use a sony prs-t1 with calibre. I have downloaded the prs-t1 plugin, and set epub as the first format, followed by pdf and txt.
I have 500 plus books in My Callibre Library, all set up under a folder with author's name, under this a folder with individual book name followed by a number in brackets, under this a folder with the epub file, the metadata file and a cover.jpg file. I presume this is the normal Calibre setup method.
When I selected Send to Device 200+ of the books went to the device without a problem. The remainder lost the picture of the cover in Calibre and would not transfer because "no suitable formats were found". When I answered yes to convert to suitable format, nothing happened.
Then I went to find a cover jpg for one book, so selected "edit metadata individually", and browsed to the folder where the cover is stored. selected it and said OK. A window popped up and said "OS Error No such file or directory". I said OK. A second folder has now appeared with the book name and a different number in brackets. Opening this folder there is only a metadata file there. The book cover does not update in the calibre display.
If I go through the process again the book cover does appear and saves ok, But I am now left with 2 folders for this book under the author's name.

Can somebody please tell me what I am doing wrong here, why some books transferred to device ok, and some didn't, and those that didn't lost their cover data even though it was still there.

Sorry to be so long winded with the question, but I want to use Calibre, but I also want to understand what is happening.
You should never 'Browse to an Calibre internal folder' for an update to Calibre. (the clue that you were there is the ID number)
If you have been messing around under the skirts, run the Library Maintenance checks (Library Icon:arrow) and repair all your handy work .
Calibre is supposed to know about anything within its folders.
To update a book with Metadata cover: either convert (same format is OK), Use the update EPUB plugin, Send or Save to... (only affects those copies sent)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2012, 12:37 AM   #3
parking
parking began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thank you for your help, I was overthinking it I reckon
parking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 04:09 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
This is standard and not an area that is user configurable and should not be manually changed. This is part of calibre's database and should be left alone.

Quote:
The remainder lost the picture of the cover in Calibre
They didn't loose their picture. There wasn't a properly designated cover in the epub so calibre could not update the ePub with the library cover during the Send to device. Doing a epub to epub conversion will embed the cover image in the book.

Quote:
would not transfer because "no suitable formats were found". When I answered yes to convert to suitable format, nothing happened.
Something did happen, calibre started jobs to convert these books to whichever format you have listed as the preferred output format and when complete would send them to your device.

Quote:
But I am now left with 2 folders for this book under the author's name.
I can't begin to guess the combination of a clicks or manually messing with the file structure that may have lead to this, but running library maintenance via the library icon should sort out the multiple folder problems.

Good Reading.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote