Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-29-2011, 08:54 AM   #46
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Enjoy your device!
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:17 AM   #47
JRM34857
Enthusiast
JRM34857 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 / Kindle 3 / Nook Touch
I replaced my sony 505 with a K3 about six months ago. The Kindle's form factor and function is excellent in my opinion, but the build quality leaves something to be desired though. I never had any problems out of the metal case of my 505. My Kindle, on the other, has had it's problems. I recently had to request a replacement kindle b/c the bezel next to the page forward button on the right of the screen became weak. The plastic started a creaking noise at first, then as I was holding it the bezel would flex causing the page to change. So, any pressure on the plastic bezel would cause an inadvertent page turn.

Overall the Kindle is a great device, but I don't think the plastic case will hold up over time like the sony's metal cases.... If I have any more problems I will probably revert back to the Sony line of Readers.....

Last edited by JRM34857; 01-29-2011 at 10:22 AM.
JRM34857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2011, 11:57 AM   #48
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Anyone else thinks the kindle2 was better built than the k3? The k3 does feel kinda cheap and disposable.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:15 PM   #49
Histerius
Zealot
Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.Histerius knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle 3 - Galaxy Tab 10.1
Never had K2 in my hands but my K3 looks very good and I wouldn't say it's cheap. A matter of personal taste, I'd say.
Histerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 01:17 PM   #50
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Some "plastics" (a whole mix of nylons, vinyls, or other compounds we call plastics) are more durable than metals. As a metallurgist once told me, steel is more "plastic" than aluminum - it can be bent and rebent easier without crimping. Where a metal shell might tend to bend or dent, the plastic might be more resilient and bounce back. But buttons and keyboards can get jammed with grit or allow moisture to enter more than a simpler case design (touchscreen).

I'm not so sure my k3 feels cheap as it feels so incredibly lightweight that it can be offputting. But I also don't want to test its mettle (metal).
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2011, 06:30 PM   #51
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Anyone else thinks the kindle2 was better built than the k3? The k3 does feel kinda cheap and disposable.
I don't think so at all. It's just lighter, but that is intentional. It's hard to not expect quality items to feel "sturdy."

A big problem I have with the Sonys that I've seen is that the page turn buttons are on the left. Being right handed, I like to use my right hand for most things, including page turning. I like that Kindle has them on both sides.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:21 PM   #52
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
I like the page turn buttons on both sides too. I find that I use the RH button to flip forward and the left button to flip back. They seem perfectly positioned to accomodate how I hold the K3.

That being said, there are times when I accidentally turn a page when I pick up the K3 if it's on and I have the cover folded back.
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:32 PM   #53
Borges
Borges has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: sony
I have both the Sony 350 and 650. I use one at home and one for the road. My brother-in-law has the only Kindle I have seen. I would guess that the fairest comparison to be made is between the kindle 3 and the Sony 350. In most cases the Sony would cost about $50 more. From what I can tell the biggest advantage the Kindle has is the wireless connectivity. I find the touch screen to be a benefit, also the Sony has both freestyle and typewriting note taking, a very useful feature. I very much enjoy how compact the 350 is. I carry it in my shit or coat pocket and easily manipulate it with one hand, pages can be flipped back and forth with either hand. I have not handled the Kindle but from the reviews I've read it might have a slight edge in ergonomics. The big selling point in the Sony for me was with the number of formats it works with, I can use a greater number of on-line sources to obtain reading material. I suggest any new ebook user to get the Calibre software, and thank you to the people who gave it to us.
Borges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 05:44 PM   #54
mic_888
mic_888 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505, iPad, Kindle 3
I've still got my PRS505, but got fed up with it crashing and it just got so slow loading up large books. So I upgraded - to the Kindle 3! Haven't regretted not sticking to Sony at all. I think the main selling point for me was the great price of the Kindle 3 - the PRS505 is still selling for close to £100 second hand on eBay UK, so for me it was a no brainer to upgrade to the Kindle 3. I didn't even bother to convert any of my old books to mobi since I'm not really planning on re-reading any of them.
mic_888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:01 PM   #55
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am glad that you are enjoying your Kindle. It took me less then three hours to download all of my books from Amazon, set up Calibre, set up the plugins, and move everything into Calibre. I have not converted anything yet, mainly because I don't need to, but I would imagine that conversion would not take too much time.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:43 AM   #56
heimskringla
heimskringla began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-300
I currently have a PRS-300 and am considering replacing it with a K3. My main dissatisfaction with Sony is that Amazon seems to have a larger selection of non-Bestseller books at a lower price than Sony.

Converting books isn't too difficult, unless they're Topaz format, but I'd rather not deal with the hassle. I'm leaning heavily on the K3 due to the size of Amazon's catalog versus Sony's.
heimskringla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:24 AM   #57
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Check out Kobo and some of the other epub only stores and see what they have available in terms of books. If you are willing to strip DRM, check out BN. If they have the books that you want then you can stay with a Sony or move Nook or Kobo and not have to worry about converting books.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:16 AM   #58
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Lately I have found the Sony store to be more competitive in pricing. I recommend inkmesh.com. It will give you a list of prices at all the major bookstores in one simple book search.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:52 AM   #59
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I am an ambidextrous reader (especially in bed) and LOVE having the page turn buttons on both sides. when I complained about that on some other reader it was mentioned that you can always turn the device. true, but terribly unwieldy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borges View Post
I have both the Sony 350 and 650. I use one at home and one for the road. My brother-in-law has the only Kindle I have seen. I would guess that the fairest comparison to be made is between the kindle 3 and the Sony 350. In most cases the Sony would cost about $50 more. From what I can tell the biggest advantage the Kindle has is the wireless connectivity. I find the touch screen to be a benefit, also the Sony has both freestyle and typewriting note taking, a very useful feature. I very much enjoy how compact the 350 is. I carry it in my shit or coat pocket and easily manipulate it with one hand, pages can be flipped back and forth with either hand. I have not handled the Kindle but from the reviews I've read it might have a slight edge in ergonomics. The big selling point in the Sony for me was with the number of formats it works with, I can use a greater number of on-line sources to obtain reading material. I suggest any new ebook user to get the Calibre software, and thank you to the people who gave it to us.
welcome to the forums!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:06 PM   #60
JonB
JonB doesn't litterJonB doesn't litter

Device: Sony PR-505
I haven't read the entire thread, but here are my thoughts.

I had a PRS-505 and I loved it for ages, but once I saw the new Pearl screen on the K3, that was it. I bought it last weekend and have not looked back. I was waiting for colour eInk displays before ditching the 505 but I read that they are still some way off. So be it. The K3 is a brilliant reader and cheap with it. I transferred all my (non DRM) content easily onto it via Calibre which I recommend heartily.

I did think the keyboards on the Kindle devices look clunky and unnecessary (who's going to annotate a thriller?) but it doesn't get in the way at all. A keyboard is a better option than a touchscreen as it doesn't get between your eyes and the eInk display. I was very disappointed by Sony's touchscreens, they seem to rob the display of a lot of contrast. I also thought that the K3 page turn buttons would get triggered accidentally too often. Well, they do get triggered accidentally, but not that often so I can live with them.

Then there is the availability of eBooks on the bookstores; I read that Amazon's store is the best and it also enjoys the most competitive prices. [Edit : seems Sony is fighting back on that front.. I'll take the advice above and check out inkmesh.com next time I'm buying.]

So, for me at least, the Kindle was a pretty compelling proposition. And did I say, it has a much, much better screen than the PRS-505 (plus it is faster, has more fonts / sizing options, and it's lighter and easier on the hand).

My PRS-505 is on eBay now...

Last edited by JonB; 02-02-2011 at 03:11 PM.
JonB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle 3, prs 650, sony