Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-23-2009, 11:27 AM   #1
budbrainmegademo
budbrainmegademo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 300
Lost Symbol ePub: 12 Seconds to turn a page

Since about page 50 the reader takes more and more time to turn a page I am now on page 83 and it takes 12 seconds.

Is this a joke sony?
budbrainmegademo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:26 PM   #2
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by budbrainmegademo View Post
Since about page 50 the reader takes more and more time to turn a page I am now on page 83 and it takes 12 seconds.

Is this a joke sony?
I don't have this problem. Neither on Sony 300, nor on Sony 600. Works like all the other ePUBs. BTW: I've bought from "Books On Board".
Did you try to reset your unit?
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:44 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's entirely normal on both my PRS-600 and my Opus.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 01:09 PM   #4
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Are you reading it from a card? Try moving it to internal memory and see if it speeds up. It's a really big file with that irritating cover, so it probably takes up a lot of your rendering time. (Is "rendering" the correct word?)
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 01:38 PM   #5
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's entirely normal on both my PRS-600 and my Opus.
12 seconds for turning pages? Entirely normal? Just checked my Sony 600 to be 100% sure:
"Lost Symbol", legally purchased ePUB.
Significantly less than 1 second per page turn.
BTW: I'm on page 189.
Just tried the fast-scroll feature: No problem as well. Scrolling through all the pages in maybe 1/3 of a second per page.

UPDATE: I guess, I've misunderstood Harry. Probably he meant, "lost Symbol" is working totally normal for him. And not, that 12 seconds for turning pages would be normal.
If 12 seconds (or even 3 seconds) would be normal, I'd trash all my readers immediately. IMHO, anything above 1 second is annoying, anything above 1.5 to 2.0 seconds simply wouldn't be acceptable (never happened to me though).

Last edited by mgmueller; 09-23-2009 at 02:06 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:42 PM   #6
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Are you reading it from a card? Try moving it to internal memory and see if it speeds up. It's a really big file with that irritating cover, so it probably takes up a lot of your rendering time. (Is "rendering" the correct word?)
Big file? Mine is 1.5MB. Bigger than most (usually about 500k). But I've got bigger ones ("One False Move" = 2.2MB).

One False Move = 2.2MB = 4 seconds to start, less than 1 second for turning pages.
Lost Symbol = 1.5MB = 3 seconds to start, less than 1 second for turning pages.
Sony 600. I'll check Sony 300 and Cybook Opus as well.

Just checked: Both nearly the same on Sony 300. Sony 300 a bit slower in turning pages than Sony 600, maybe half a second slower.

Last edited by mgmueller; 09-23-2009 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:50 PM   #7
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
mg, you are right! Why did I think it was a lot bigger? Anyhow, I checked, and it is 1.9 mm on mine. So that can't be the reason budbrain's copy is taking 12 secs per page turn.

I am reading Pratchett's Pyramids right now, and for some unknown reason it has slowed down to about 1.5 seconds per page turn. I wonder why? I was listening to a book on MP3 on it, but finished and deleted it before this slowdown occurred. I am sort of wondering if that might have affected the page turn speed? Or could it have anything to do with the new EBL 3.0? The 1.5 secs is not really that big of a deal, but it is noticeable. Never had a noticeable page turn wait before.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 02:10 PM   #8
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
mg, you are right! Why did I think it was a lot bigger? Anyhow, I checked, and it is 1.9 mm on mine. So that can't be the reason budbrain's copy is taking 12 secs per page turn.

I am reading Pratchett's Pyramids right now, and for some unknown reason it has slowed down to about 1.5 seconds per page turn. I wonder why? I was listening to a book on MP3 on it, but finished and deleted it before this slowdown occurred. I am sort of wondering if that might have affected the page turn speed? Or could it have anything to do with the new EBL 3.0? The 1.5 secs is not really that big of a deal, but it is noticeable. Never had a noticeable page turn wait before.
I only can speculate. But I would be more than surprised if (§&$###/%&§) EBL 3.0 would have anything to do with slowing down your system.
In my understanding, EBL 3.0 (or whatever version) simply transfers your library to your reader. But as far as I know, EBL doesn't do any modifications to the books.
If you close your book and restart it: Is it still that slow in turning pages? or does this occur only after a certain amount of reading (after having read 50 pages or so)?
Old 09-23-2009, 02:15 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
UPDATE: I guess, I've misunderstood Harry. Probably he meant, "lost Symbol" is working totally normal for him. And not, that 12 seconds for turning pages would be normal.
Yes, I meant "the book is behaving entirely normally for me" . Apologies for the ambiguity in my statement.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 05:21 PM   #10
budbrainmegademo
budbrainmegademo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 300
Its back to under 1 second per pageturn. It was up to 12 seconds for like 20 or 30 pages, maybe cos of the symbols/images on it, I dont know...
budbrainmegademo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:07 PM   #11
jswinden
Nameless Being

I bought The lost Symbol from sony eBooks. My file is 3.1 MB and is the BBeB version. It is turning pages in less than 1/2 second, and I'm on page 411 of 1433.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:43 PM   #12
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
My epub copy behaved normally on my 505 through the whole book (including the pages with images).
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 08:47 AM   #13
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlucky View Post
My epub copy behaved normally on my 505 through the whole book (including the pages with images).
Ditto - just fine on the 505, I'm 400+ of 570ish pages.

I am finding bookmark icon is taking ages to display. I just turn it off though, and the bookmark icon is there when I switch it back on.
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 08:50 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Its back to under 1 second per pageturn. It was up to 12 seconds for like 20 or 30 pages, maybe cos of the symbols/images on it, I dont know...
Can you tell us which page numbers you were having this issue with so we can try it at the same pages please?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:55 AM   #15
Mikesbook
Enthusiast
Mikesbook began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Quote:
Perhaps the reader was busy looking for "Lost Symbols"

Mike
Mikesbook is offline   Reply With Quote