Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-09-2016, 03:28 PM   #16
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
Yeah but I don't understand why? It's not that great.
Five inch, front-lit, you can install reading app according to your taste. What is not to like?

I had the legendary five inch PocketBook 360 and I still miss the pocketability of the device. I repeat over and over that when there is a five inch, front-lit device I would buy it instantly. Add the possibility to install AlReader, or Coolreader, or Moon+ Reader ...
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 03:41 PM   #17
xtech
Zealot
xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony DPT-RP1, Ipad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
I repeat over and over that when there is a five inch, front-lit device I would buy it instantly.
What about 6 inch? ) https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=273965
xtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 09:57 PM   #18
machinogodzilla
Addict
machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PBook 902† Kindle† Nook SimpleTouch† Onyx M92† i86† M96 N96ML NotePro
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
The Yotaphone 2 looks nice, too.
And then there are semi-official mentions of Yota Phone 3 being released later this year. It would be nice if it had a front light, worth asking on their Facebook page. Probably won't be cheap, though.

Perhaps once Onyx gets some free time again after they are done with the Max (what's next?) they could resurrect the idea. With Yota being a high-end device maybe there is room for something on a budget side of things. While Yota is a cool phone, I personally don't care much about that AMOLED display, 8MP camera or a quad-core processor. I would welcome a more pocket friendly gizmo from Onyx.
machinogodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 03:09 AM   #19
afainber
Connoisseur
afainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the roughafainber is a jewel in the rough

Device: Boyue Likebook Plus, Inkbook Explore
I have been waiting for the Yota Phone 3 for a while, but I gave up. It was supposed to be released in Q1 this year and it hasn't. There are only speculations about the spec and I'm sure they will not disclose any information about frontlight (or anything else, for that matter) before their official announcement (whenever this is).

As for Onyx, I'm a long time customer and fan, however based from past experience their from-conception-to-production time measures in months if not a couple of years.

So instead of waiting unknown time for a mystery device, I prefer something right now
afainber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:13 AM   #20
fozzedout
Guru
fozzedout ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fozzedout ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fozzedout ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fozzedout ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fozzedout ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fozzedout ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fozzedout ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fozzedout ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fozzedout ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fozzedout ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fozzedout ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx M96, Kindle Basic 2014, Onyx T68 Lynx, Icarus Illumina E653
Quote:
Originally Posted by machinogodzilla View Post
Perhaps once Onyx gets some free time again after they are done with the Max (what's next?) they could resurrect the idea. With Yota being a high-end device maybe there is room for something on a budget side of things. While Yota is a cool phone, I personally don't care much about that AMOLED display, 8MP camera or a quad-core processor. I would welcome a more pocket friendly gizmo from Onyx.
Personally, I would prefer a thin, pocketable (should be the same size or smaller than a 5.5" phone: 15.5cm x 7.5cm), frontlit (if possible), eink device

The huge thick borders on all the eink devices puts me off them
fozzedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 11:11 AM   #21
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fozzedout View Post
Personally, I would prefer a thin, pocketable (should be the same size or smaller than a 5.5" phone: 15.5cm x 7.5cm), frontlit (if possible), eink device

The huge thick borders on all the eink devices puts me off them
I do prefer thinner bezels, as I use a silicone cover if I am going to read for a while.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 02:26 AM   #22
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
As a Yota 2 owner, I think frontlight on the Yota 3 would be a terrible idea. Frontlight requires a gap between the e-ink layer and the top layer, greatly reducing the accuracy and the feel of the screen. Anyone who has ever tried the curved screen of the Yota 2 will surely agree.
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 02:33 AM   #23
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
As for e-ink-only devices under 6 in.: I think there is no market there. There is a ton of 6-in readers and the difference is too small.
On the other hand, dual screen phones like the Yotaphone 2 have great potential. The only thing wrong with Yota is the name - if that phone had been sold by, say, Amazon, it would have sold millions.
In fact, someone wrote that Amazon should have made the Yotaphone instead of making the terrible Fire phone, and I fully agree. In fact, I can say the same about their latest, overpriced Oasis reader.
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 02:59 PM   #24
erdos
Enthusiast
erdos began at the beginning.

Device: k4, Kobo Clara
any update on e-ink based cell phone? i would love to have one of these
erdos is offline   Reply With Quote