ecbritz
Book Concocter
ecbritz began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
A nice reply, I appreciate it.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:07 AM   #17
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecbritz View Post
A nice reply, I appreciate it.
There are plenty of threads devoted to commercial products. There are also plenty of commercial products described in our wiki.

Dale
Old 05-12-2013, 03:06 AM   #18
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
By all means, if you have any question, issue, advice, tip, etc. related to any ebook software (commercial or not), please post it in the appropriate place (it will probably be Workshop). As it has been said before, if there is enough discussion about some particular software, it might get its own dedicated forum (and you could then write another message here in Feedback saying something like "hey, I think there are many recent threads about software X, could we have a forum for it?")

In the meantime, you could tag all threads related to that specific software ("Edit Tags", just above the "Quick Reply" box), that can help in searching.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:37 AM   #19
ecbritz
Book Concocter

As I understood the moderator, a commercial (paid) program will not be given a forum at MobileRead. So I must sound my retreat. A forum for product X, which would enhance its user support and create awareness of its value to eBook editors, is not on the cards. But thanks a lot for the kind advice given to me.

Last edited by ecbritz; 05-12-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:12 AM   #20
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
As I understood the moderator, a commercial (paid) program will not be given a forum at MobileRead. So I must sound my retreat. A forum for product X, which would enhance its user support and create awareness of its value to eBook editors, is not on the cards. But thanks a lot for the kind advice given to me.
The two users who responded to you in posts 17 and 18 are also board moderators, don't be so quick to dismiss their advice. Anyone with a green username is a board moderator.

A dedicated thread to said product in the appropriate forum would also go a long way toward accomplishing your goal.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:31 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Absolutely. No problem at all with discussing commercial products here at MR. All I said was that a commercial product is extremely unlikely to get a dedicated forum.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:42 AM   #22
ecbritz
Book Concocter

Thanks for the kind concern. A forum opens a new program up to advice, opinions, questions and answers coming from all directions. If I need to act as "lone ranger" I should take some time to prepare. So I won't retreat so much as ride off into the sunset, perhaps preparing my return...
Old 05-13-2013, 11:39 AM   #23
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Thanks for the kind concern. A forum opens a new program up to advice, opinions, questions and answers coming from all directions. If I need to act as "lone ranger" I should take some time to prepare. So I won't retreat so much as ride off into the sunset, perhaps preparing my return...
At Mobile Read a thread can do all of those things. In some cases multiple threads are used so long as they are not just repeats of each other.

Dale
Old 05-13-2013, 08:07 PM   #24
ecbritz
Book Concocter

My original request was how a new forum for Product X could be started. I received clear and sympathetic answers. So this issue is really settled now.

Something important was said in a thread I started in the Sigil forum. The forum participant who is a professional eBook editor said that her craft and quality work is being threatened by the rise of self-help amateurs who use software products making it easier to produce eBooks. These "cockroaches" are pulling the art and the business of creating quality eBooks down. I hope I paraphrase the lady more or less correctly.

This remark suddenly put some of the agitation raging in that thread in perspective for me. The lady might have a point. Her complaint has quieted me down.

It has also made me feel that if I want to introduce Product X to other users, I must first go back to it and study it more closely. It's in that sense that I feel like trotting off into the sunset for the time being.

Last edited by ecbritz; 05-14-2013 at 12:16 AM.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:07 AM   #25
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
My original request was how a new forum for Product X could be started. I received clear and sympathetic answers. So this issue is really settled now.

Something important was said in a thread I started in the Sigil forum. The forum participant who is a professional eBook editor said that her craft and quality work is being threatened by the rise of self-help amateurs who use software products making it easier to produce eBooks. These "cockroaches" are pulling the art and the business of creating quality eBooks down. I hope I paraphrase the lady more or less correctly.

This remark suddenly put some of the agitation raging in that thread in perspective for me. The lady might have a point. Her complaint has quieted me down.

It has also made me feel that if I want to introduce Product X to other users, I must first go back to it and study it more closely. It's in that sense that I feel like trotting off into the sunset for the time being.
Firstly, what I said, precisely, was this:

Quote:
Only an idiot would not know that commercial ebooking's days are numbered. None of us know how many days that is; we just know that it is true. There are at least five firms I know of that folded their tents this year alone.
And, with regard to "cockroaches," I was most certainly not talking about people who make tools/programs, either free or paid, for making ebooks. I have been known to recommend Jutoh, here on MR (as well as BC, BD, etc.) to certain types of DIY'ers. I was in specificity discussing the SCAMMERS who we see in here all the time, asking on the Sigil forum (and others) how to do "X" for a paying client, while at the same time asking what a "paragraph class" is, or how to do something simple, like center a paragraph, or put whitespace above a paragraph--indicating that they don't even know what CSS is, or what HTML does.

I consider those people, who are charging others for professional ebook conversion services, when they don't know what they are doing, to be scamming cockroaches. I was clearly replying to a post in which, again, you mis-characterized what I'd said, claiming I'd said that the "days of ebooks were numbered," which you may see is not what I'd said. (If anyone at all is interested in this, it's this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=212088 in the Sigil Forum.) What I replied then is:

Quote:
I meant simply that the days of ebook conversion houses are numbered. The huge publishers have all outsourced the work offshore, and don't even proof what they get back, particularly for backlist books (I know this factually, not anecdotally) and the "Kindle Gold rush" is patently over, as an unintended consequence of the KDP Select program. Existing authors that were making a living now aren't; would-be or hopeful authors read about this and have put off publishing.

And we all know that the lack of quality control in the industry, of any kind at all, means that more and more people will use tools like Calibre (nothing against it for its intended purpose) rather than either do the work properly or pay someone to do it properly, or worse, get taken advantage of by the rip-off artists we've seen come through here who don't even know how to extract the content or spell HTML, much less work in it. So...yes, I think quality companies like mine will indeed go out of business, whilst scammers, as always, will thrive. Just like cockroaches.
I believe that the distinction I made was quite clear. The comments I've made have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with you or your commercial program. Your choice to "withdraw" is clearly based on your own agenda, and has nothing whatsoever to do with me or anyone else on this forum, other than a) you couldn't get the folks on Sigil or ePUB forums to write a "how to create an ePUB" tutorial for you, which you rather persistently tried to obtain over the course of a few weeks, and b) you will not be able to obtain a free and quick and easy forum for your product, free or otherwise, without putting in months of work to get the product discussed, tried, talked-about, etc.

That choice is entirely yours. It is unrelated to any comments I made. I've freely and openly supported various "DIY" programs over the years; I am a heavy supporter of Sigil and an occasional supporter of Calibre; I recommend BC and BD for html clean-up, as well as ePUBfixer, ePUBtweak, Toxie's HTML clean-up macro, paid programs like Jutoh and Scrivener and numerous other programs, both paid and free. I don't conflate DIY'ers with my clientele, in general, at the moment. That I think that Word, etc., will all come to have "export to ePUB" functions in the near-ish future is hardly an Amazing Kreskin prognostication.

Hitch
Old 05-14-2013, 05:24 AM   #26
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
If anyone at all is interested in this, it's this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=212088 in the Sigil Forum.
This isn't the Sigil forum. ecbritz has concluded this discussion in his last post.

I think I'll go and review the forum guidelines, would you like to join me?

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 05-14-2013 at 05:29 AM.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:48 PM   #27
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moderator Notice

The OP's question has been answered and he has accepted those answers. The OP states, "I received clear and sympathetic answers. So this issue is really settled now."

Thank you to all participants.

This thread is now closed.
Closed Thread