Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 06-18-2011, 02:54 PM   #76
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The only thing that I can think of to explain that kind of variability is an anti-virus. Try excluding the calibre program directory, library directory and config directories from the antivirus.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 03:52 PM   #77
capnm
Groupie
capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: sony
I didn't realize it was updating all the opfs ... didn't actually think about it ...
but that should still be much faster than the unpack/count process, shouldn't it?

And doesn't Extract ISBN do the same thing? I've run that against entire libraries and the update process was a small fraction of the extract time.

I kinda expected similar runtimes to Extract ISBN, and from what you just said, kiwidude, the update processes are indeed the same (except that the last time I ran a bulk Extract ISBN was with an earlier version of Calibre).

I don't think it's an anti-virus issue. The libraries are excluded, as are the calibre and calibre-parallel processes. And the temp folder isn't excluded, so any AV delay should mostly impact the unpack/count process not the opf update ...

I'll try again when I can free up the computer, start from a clean boot, etc.
capnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 03:13 AM   #78
capnm
Groupie
capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Well, it's definitely not doing the same thing as Extract ISBN.

If I Extract several hundred books the update process is less than 30 seconds.

If I Count several hundred books the update process slows down to less than 10 books/minute and Calibre's memory usage climbs rapidly throughout the update process.

Edit: If it makes any difference, I was only doing a page count, the word count custom column was left blank.

Last edited by capnm; 06-19-2011 at 03:18 AM.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:20 AM   #79
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@capnm - I just ran page count only against 200 books. From the point of the count completing and the dialog popping up asking whether to update the books to that progress dialog closing took 15 seconds. Memory usage in Calibre didn't change at all. So I don't know what you have going on in your system, but it isn't anything I can replicate.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:26 AM   #80
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
@capnm: are you using windows later than XP? I ask because a person reported a bug where doing relatively trivial things took forever and caused memory consumption to go up to gigabytes. He later reported that it was caused by having had DEP (Data Execution Protection) turned on for all programs. He made calibre an exception and the problem went bye-bye.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 03:02 PM   #81
capnm
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
@capnm - I just ran page count only against 200 books. From the point of the count completing and the dialog popping up asking whether to update the books to that progress dialog closing took 15 seconds. Memory usage in Calibre didn't change at all. So I don't know what you have going on in your system, but it isn't anything I can replicate.
I'm not sure either, but it wasn't noticeable on my system at 100 books, was horrid at 800, and bad at 500.

Extract ISBN still zips through updating 800 in no time flat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
@capnm: are you using windows later than XP? I ask because a person reported a bug where doing relatively trivial things took forever and caused memory consumption to go up to gigabytes. He later reported that it was caused by having had DEP (Data Execution Protection) turned on for all programs. He made calibre an exception and the problem went bye-bye.
This might be it! Running Windows7 with DEP.
I tried turning off DEP. It didn't solve it -- but I may need a reboot, which I can't do right now.
Will try again later.

Thanks.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:40 PM   #82
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnm View Post
I tried turning off DEP. It didn't solve it -- but I may need a reboot, which I can't do right now.
Will try again later.
The person who reported the problem and the fix said that a reboot was required.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 03:44 PM   #83
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnm View Post
I'm not sure either, but it wasn't noticeable on my system at 100 books, was horrid at 800, and bad at 500.

Extract ISBN still zips through updating 800 in no time flat.

Will try again later.

Thanks.
Interesting
You can't turn DEP off in XPpro SP3, only add exceptions.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:25 AM   #84
capnm
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Interesting
You can't turn DEP off in XPpro SP3, only add exceptions.
Sloppy speech on my part.
Win7 has two modes: DEP for all programs (with optional exceptions), or DEP for "essential" Win programs only.
According to the MSoft blurb I read, switching modes requires a reboot, but adding program exceptions doesn't. Then again, that's MSoft talking

Which is an amusing digression, but back on topic:

It didn't work

I first added Calibre & calibre_process as exceptions (without rebooting), then switched to "essential" only mode and rebooted.

No significant change -- 800 books, updating metadata takes longer than the count process took, and memory usage climbs.
I think the memory usage of calibre(main) was less without DEP (until the metadata update started).
Old 06-21-2011, 03:16 PM   #85
bigbird1227
Enthusiast
bigbird1227 is a rising star in the heavensbigbird1227 is a rising star in the heavensbigbird1227 is a rising star in the heavensbigbird1227 is a rising star in the heavensbigbird1227 is a rising star in the heavensbigbird1227 is a rising star in the heavensbigbird1227 is a rising star in the heavensbigbird1227 is a rising star in the heavensbigbird1227 is a rising star in the heavensbigbird1227 is a rising star in the heavensbigbird1227 is a rising star in the heavens

Device: kindle 3
can't get page count - only word count

never installed version 8.5 went straight to 8.6 from 8.4

can only get word count not page count

need help

thanks
bigbird1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:51 PM   #86
capnm
Groupie

@bigbird

Did you go to
Plugin Updater
Filter list of plugins: Installed
Select Count Pages
and Customize it?
Old 06-22-2011, 07:57 PM   #87
bigbird1227
Enthusiast
bigbird1227 is a rising star in the heavensbigbird1227 is a rising star in the heavensbigbird1227 is a rising star in the heavensbigbird1227 is a rising star in the heavensbigbird1227 is a rising star in the heavensbigbird1227 is a rising star in the heavensbigbird1227 is a rising star in the heavensbigbird1227 is a rising star in the heavensbigbird1227 is a rising star in the heavensbigbird1227 is a rising star in the heavensbigbird1227 is a rising star in the heavens

yes I did. I only get the word count option
Old 06-22-2011, 08:06 PM   #88
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbird1227 View Post
yes I did. I only get the word count option
What version # of Calibre are you running. The plugin Updater honors the required version by not showing you plugins you can't use.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:34 PM   #89
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@bigbird1227:

The configuration dialog for this plugin will let you configure any combination of page count or word count. If you want both, then you need to first setup two custom columns (using Preferences->Add your own columns, or right-clicking on the library view headers). Both columns should be of column type "Integer".

Once you have done that, then going back into the Customize plugin dialog for this plugin should let you choose your columns from the dropdowns. Leave the relevant column blank in this dialog if you don't want to retrieve that particular value.

See the attached screenshots. If a column you have setup doesnt appear in the dropdown on the customize dialog for this plugin, it means you set it up with an incompatible column type. Delete the column and create it again.

And if your problem is somehting else (your posts have been very vague) then post a screenshot with some detail and we can try to help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_4_CustomColumn.png
Views:	621
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	73185   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_5_ConfigColumns.png
Views:	634
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	73186  
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:49 AM   #90
bigbird1227
Enthusiast

under algorithm I still only get the count word option

Tags
count, count pages, page count, pages, plugin